Port of Barcelona Hotels

estrawn

I'll be on Symphony from Barcelona this coming May and figured I could get loads of expert advice from all of you seasoned veterans on which hotels near the new cruise terminal will be great for the 2 nights I have before the cruise.

Eric

Not sure which departure date you have in May (we board on 6th May for a back to back) but the Barcelona Grand Prix is on the 13th, which is a departure date for Symphony, so may push hotel prices up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really depends what you like and what price you want to pay. As part of the port there is the Grand Marina Hotel but only small ships can dock at those terminals. Symphony of the Seas will be quite a way from there. Most hotel are near Las Ramblas or in the Gothic Quarter. Barcelona is such a wonderful city and it is a shame not to be in the centre. A taxi to the cruise terminal would not be expensive on your departure day.

I always stay at the Hotel Espana. Parts of the hotel are Art Novaeu style but it still has a small swimming pool on the roof. It is just off Las Ramblas on the edge of El Raval which is one of the more edgy districts of the city.

I have always felt safe in Barcelona but like any big city it is best to be careful. Apparently pick pockets operate around the main tourist attractions but I have had no trouble so far.

The Sagrada Família is spectacular but very busy. It would be best to book tickets online before your trip. The Sagrada Familia and the Cathedral are not the same and some people go to the wrong location. By the way the Cathedral does have a dress code which is enforced at the entrance. I like the Picasso Museum and the Barcelona Pavilion but it depends on your tastes. I have found the Barcelona Metro a good way to get round the centre of the city. Barcelona is one of my favourite cities.

I hope that helps, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To answer your question, the closest good hotel is Eurostars Gran Marina. It is right by where the blue T3 port shuttle bus runs too so you can catch that over the bridge for €3pp. Very handy. Nice little rooftop pool too,

IMG_7319-M.jpg

Taken from a ship looking back towards Barcelona;the hotel is the round building.

Not sure which departure date you have in May (we board on 6th May for a back to back) but the Barcelona Grand Prix is on the 13th, which is a departure date for Symphony, so may push hotel prices up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm on the 5/20 sailing so hopefully most of the whirlwind will have died down :D

To answer your question, the closest good hotel is Eurostars Gran Marina. It is right by where the blue T3 port shuttle bus runs too so you can catch that over the bridge for €3pp. Very handy. Nice little rooftop pool too,

IMG_7319-M.jpg

Taken from a ship looking back towards Barcelona;the hotel is the round building.

I was looking at that one on Google Maps. Thanks for the recommendation

It really depends what you like and what price you want to pay. As part of the port there is the Grand Marina Hotel but only small ships can dock at those terminals. Symphony of the Seas will be quite a way from there. Most hotel are near Las Ramblas or in the Gothic Quarter. Barcelona is such a wonderful city and it is a shame not to be in the centre. A taxi to the cruise terminal would not be expensive on your departure day.

I always stay at the Hotel Espana. Parts of the hotel are Art Novaeu style but it still has a small swimming pool on the roof. It is just off Las Ramblas on the edge of El Raval which is one of the more edgy districts of the city.

I have always felt safe in Barcelona but like any big city it is best to be careful. Apparently pick pockets operate around the main tourist attractions but I have had no trouble so far.

The Sagrada Família is spectacular but very busy. It would be best to book tickets online before your trip. The Sagrada Familia and the Cathedral are not the same and some people go to the wrong location. By the way the Cathedral does have a dress code which is enforced at the entrance. I like the Picasso Museum and the Barcelona Pavilion but it depends on your tastes. I have found the Barcelona Metro a good way to get round the centre of the city. Barcelona is one of my favourite cities.

I hope that helps, Stephen.

Stephen, I appreciate your info. I have been going back and forth between staying near the port or someplace farther in town. You make the town option sound enticing.

Stephen, I appreciate your info. I have been going back and forth between staying near the port or someplace farther in town. You make the town option sound enticing.

Thank you. The port area, Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter are all relatively close to each other. If you stayed at the Grand Marina you could visit the main attractions easily. I am sure you will have a wonderful stay in Barcelona. I am on Symphony of the Seas on the 14th of April from Barcelona. My first time with Royal Caribbean and my first time a mega ship. I am very excited.

Best wishes,Stephen.

We stayed at Hotel 1898. The hotel is gorgeous, and the pool in the spa area is stunning. It also has a rooftop pool with a very chic lounging/bar area. From what I could tell by peeking in during housekeeping times, every room looks different. The hotel is right in the middle of Las Ramblas, and the whole area is jumping all day/night. If you only have a little time in Barcelona, this is where you'd want to hang out because everything is right there.

There is also a laundromat about a block away, which was super important to us because our cruise was after 1.5 weeks of touring Europe by train. The hotel was maybe a 10 minute drive to the port. If I remember correctly, it was pretty much a straight shot from the hotel to the port, so it's not like you're meandering through the city on boarding day.

We have stayed at the Hilton Barcelona three times now. It is one block from a massive department store, El Cortez Ingles. El Cortez is across the street from the Maria Cristina Subway stop (the green line) and it is about 10 minute ride from Maria Cristina to the bottom of Les Ramblas (the Drassane subway stop) which is the stop one would get off at to easy make ones way to the cruise port. Across the street from Drassane is where the blue port bus arrives and it costs 2.00 per person to ride it to the ship. We like the larger hotels with all the amenities including larger rooms and big bathrooms, bars, big lobbies and with more of a business feel to them. This hotel is in an upscale area and there is no worry about being mugged at night as there is with hotels in the vicinity of Les Ramblas or in the Gothic Quarter. We enjoy walking around Les Ramblas, however, we like to retire to the peace and quiet of the Hilton.

We stayed at Hotel 1898. The hotel is gorgeous, and the pool in the spa area is stunning. It also has a rooftop pool with a very chic lounging/bar area. From what I could tell by peeking in during housekeeping times, every room looks different. The hotel is right in the middle of Las Ramblas, and the whole area is jumping all day/night. If you only have a little time in Barcelona, this is where you'd want to hang out because everything is right there.

There is also a laundromat about a block away, which was super important to us because our cruise was after 1.5 weeks of touring Europe by train. The hotel was maybe a 10 minute drive to the port. If I remember correctly, it was pretty much a straight shot from the hotel to the port, so it's not like you're meandering through the city on boarding day.

We also loved the Hotel 1898...glad I knew to bring my own washcloths...they have none.

We have stayed at the Hilton Barcelona three times now. It is one block from a massive department store, El Cortez Ingles. El Cortez is across the street from the Maria Cristina Subway stop (the green line) and it is about 10 minute ride from Maria Cristina to the bottom of Les Ramblas (the Drassane subway stop) which is the stop one would get off at to easy make ones way to the cruise port. Across the street from Drassane is where the blue port bus arrives and it costs 2.00 per person to ride it to the ship. We like the larger hotels with all the amenities including larger rooms and big bathrooms, bars, big lobbies and with more of a business feel to them. This hotel is in an upscale area and there is no worry about being mugged at night as there is with hotels in the vicinity of Les Ramblas or in the Gothic Quarter. We enjoy walking around Les Ramblas, however, we like to retire to the peace and quiet of the Hilton.

It just shows how people are different. My preferences are exactly the opposite of yours. I always look for old small historic hotels that are right in the centre of the city. I would never book a big corporate hotel in a business district. It is just not my type of place to stay.

Luckily in Barcelona there is plenty of choice for all tastes.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It just shows how people are different. My preferences are exactly the opposite of yours. I always look for old small historic hotels that are right in the centre of the city. I would never book a big corporate hotel in a business district. It is just not my type of place to stay.

Luckily in Barcelona there is plenty of choice for all tastes.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I did a quick search on most of these hotels (not the Hilton). Prices for next October are about $130-$150/night. Is that about what you paid?

I always find booking.com have a good range of hotels in European cities. They cover everything from hostels to five stars. Hotels.com seem to have less choice for me.

For my stay at the Hotel Espana in the cheapest room In April I have paid Euro 187 per night. That is about what I have paid in the past also.

I hope that help, Stephen.

This past May I stayed at the Hotel Condes Barcelona. It is on the main upscale shopping street, about three blocks from the Department stores El Cortes Ingles. It is a lovely upscale hotel. I don't know how much it costs as it was part of my package. Excellent service and close to shops and restaurants.

We did get tickets in advance to Segruda Familia and other sites. Makes a big difference in wait times.

Never had security problems in Barcelona but I am pretty careful.

The prices at the Hilton Barcelona vary by season. We paid in the whereabouts of $275 US per night. Careful there are two Hiltons. The one closest to Maria Cristina metro is The Barcelona Hilton which is Avenida Diagonal 589-591, Barcelona, 08014, Spain

The other Hilton is the Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona Passeig del Taulat 262-264, Barcelona, 08019, Spain

The Diagonal Mar has a pool. So I guess it would be good for the summer however, my overall impression of the area did not give me a welcoming feeling. It was in a very ethnic area and I could not read the signs for most of the restaurants, businesses. I found the Hilton Barcelona very welcoming. Lots of airline crew stay there and it is very close to the Big Stadium FC Barcelona, the large department store I mentioned, a hospital, upscale condos, very large avenues, buses galore, even the HOP on HOP off bus passes by the hotel. We just felt very comfortable. Starbucks besides the hotel. I like to travel and do so a lot, we have traveled extensively to many countries and my husband has traveled the world on business. We just like our creature comforts. Yes, we have stayed in boutique hotels, however, I find rooms to be small, sometimes damp, air conditioning does not work properly or air Con is noisy. It is like this. Have you ever stayed in downtown New Orleans, right on Bourbon Street, yeah, it can be fun until you want to turn in for the night but the revelers are out until 3 am. We like to partake in the historic area of Barcelona, go to the beach, Barcelonetta, have dinner in the Gothic Quarter, but at the end of the day, I want my Hilton. Just my preference and in all our travels, I have yet to find a bad Hilton.

link opens in a new tab.