do you talk like everyone should know you on here?

luckyinpa

i've noticed this a lot on this forum. posts starting out 'julie and i' or other terms of familiarity. it's like you think we know who you are and i guess you do know some people on the forum but i'm guessing 98.44% of people on this forum have no clue who you are.

I see this posting format as being different than someone starting a review saying "my wife julie and I were on the ship' where you clearly introduce yourself then proceed to use the names.

so do you post expecting everyone to know julie is your wife and jack is your dog? yes i've even seen posts saying 'we left jack at home this time' and the public at large has no clue if jack is the kid/dog/etc.

or do you really just not care who knows you and who doesnt and you are gonna write how you write regardless of the audience? ;p

i better go now, rex needs me.

luckyinpa, I think many do it to be courteous. It's always a nice way to start things out IMHO. I do the same on e-mails while some don't.

Some of us have actually meant many people from CC through our travels.

Not a high percentage since CC population is so big but I am sure I have met a couple of thousand people from CC over the years.

Keith

The line between "Message Board Community" and "Chat Room" is pretty well blurred. Of course many of us wish that posts on Cruise Critic stuck firmly to message board conventions--if they still exist. Chat Rooms are disappearing because pretty much every online community has adopted the informality of those old anything-goes rooms. And the fact that Cruise Critic is now accessible from all the different personal device platforms rather than having the vast majority of us posting from our home computers has contributed to the informality: we associate chatting from our phones and tablets with groups of "friends" or "followers" who already know our backstories--and we expect them to read our minds if they don't.

..and I know this is a bit off-topic to the OPs thoughts, but the proliferation of posts consisting of nothing but pithy one-liners a la Facebook and Twitter is just as big an issue. Especially in response to a hot-button topic. If everyone stuck to the old convention of responding to the post rather than the poster--best way to be sure to do so is to always use third person--those threads would be a lot less contentious (and require a lot less editing by our hosts).

i've noticed this a lot on this forum. posts starting out 'julie and i' or other terms of familiarity. it's like you think we know who you are and i guess you do know some people on the forum but i'm guessing 98.44% of people on this forum have no clue who you are.

I see this posting format as being different than someone starting a review saying "my wife julie and I were on the ship' where you clearly introduce yourself then proceed to use the names.

so do you post expecting everyone to know julie is your wife and jack is your dog? yes i've even seen posts saying 'we left jack at home this time' and the public at large has no clue if jack is the kid/dog/etc.

or do you really just not care who knows you and who doesnt and you are gonna write how you write regardless of the audience? ;p

Sooooo, why do you care?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I notice it more on some cruise line boards where there is a core of loyal posters. I generally avoid names, especially on a travel board when I don't want to indicate that my home will be empty.

There is a message facility that was added recently if one wants to PM.,

The informality sometimes goes to a point where it makes a board feel cliquey and can be a bit off-putting. Not so much the casual use of a name instead of relationship, e.g. my husband. More when people chat back and forth & the rest don't have the background to join in.

On the other hand, I can see that for someone who posts a lot may find it awkward to keep saying "my husband Jack" in every post.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I don't think I've thought about someone using their name until it was brought up here. I am kind of stymied to understand the issue. I participate in other forums that are a fraction the size of cruise critic. In those, there is a sense that you know everyone and are among friends. First names are used routinely.

FYI -- I used to be active in a large woodworking forum that required real names (first and last) be used. Fictitious user names were prohibited. The forum admin would run some algorithm to police the requirement. Intent was to eliminate the nonsense (trollish behavior). I think it worked pretty well.

Edited by ldubs
correction

The line between "Message Board Community" and "Chat Room" is pretty well blurred. Of course many of us wish that posts on Cruise Critic stuck firmly to message board conventions--if they still exist. Chat Rooms are disappearing because pretty much every online community has adopted the informality of those old anything-goes rooms. And the fact that Cruise Critic is now accessible from all the different personal device platforms rather than having the vast majority of us posting from our home computers has contributed to the informality: we associate chatting from our phones and tablets with groups of "friends" or "followers" who already know our backstories--and we expect them to read our minds if they don't.

..and I know this is a bit off-topic to the OPs thoughts, but the proliferation of posts consisting of nothing but pithy one-liners a la Facebook and Twitter is just as big an issue. Especially in response to a hot-button topic. If everyone stuck to the old convention of responding to the post rather than the poster--best way to be sure to do so is to always use third person--those threads would be a lot less contentious (and require a lot less editing by our hosts).

Huh, I never thought about this. Chat rooms used to be live conversations. Do they still exist? LOL.

I keep my comments to the requests/statements of the OP; or, to correct bad or incorrect advice on that thread. I see many times on these boards the personalizations that you have stated and, IMHO, they are unnecessary and don't add value to a thread. A point of contention for me that I have also noticed, is that many people post replies on a thread that hijack the thread or add nothing to the OPs subject, to the extreme, they want to comment for the sake of commenting.

I keep my comments to the requests/statements of the OP; or, to correct bad or incorrect advice on that thread. I see many times on these boards the personalizations that you have stated and, IMHO, they are unnecessary and don't add value to a thread.

Well there are some of us who actually do know some of the other posters having cruised with them - many of which were met on Roll Calls through CC. There are others with whom we've posted on many threads together and have become CC acquaintances. Not sure I understand the issue with that or how personalizing a comment to or with them takes away from the thread. Maybe I'm missing something here......

I like to be anonymous on Cruise Critic because Melania thinks I spend to much time on Social Media already.:lips-sealed:

:)

The Best trip ever! Everybody loved me. Even the short, fat guy.:D

Ok, I might have gotten to like bottled water a little too much.:o

I needed this laugh tonight!!! Thanks!

LOL. :). You must have too much idle time on your hands?

Keep calm and stop whining. :)

Seems a bit narcissistic to me, as if they consider the message board their personal blog. But nobody ever said narcissistic people can't post on message boards, and personality does tend to transcend most types of communication avenues.

When I was younger, I was too lazy to capitalize anything when posting to message boards, until I saw a thread in which everyone trashed "lazy people who don't capitalize." It made me stop and think about it, and I decided that while I found their opinions a bit judgy, I couldn't deny to myself that I was being lazy. I doubt this thread would convince anyone who uses the aforementioned style to change, because it's something they purposefully do, and frankly they aren't hurting anyone by their familiar approach.

Edited to add: That bit about capitalization was not directed to the OP! I didn't notice the lack of capitalization until after I'd posted! Please don't think I was trying to make my comment a thinly veiled insult, as it wasn't meant that way at all.

Edited by bichonandon
Needed to add a statement.

Well there are some of us who actually do know some of the other posters having cruised with them - many of which were met on Roll Calls through CC. There are others with whom we've posted on many threads together and have become CC acquaintances. Not sure I understand the issue with that or how personalizing a comment to or with them takes away from the thread. Maybe I'm missing something here......

Thank-you leaveitallbehind. I fully understand that community members have opportunity to cruise with other members and wish to keep in touch with them, as I have also done. Since you asked, what is missing in this thread is an explanation that these personal responses by some, and introducing new subjects off topic from the original thread by others are in fact violations of the CC Community Standards under Disruption of our Community - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines . I also note that as these threads are moderated, not much happens to these disruptions unless a member reports it to the moderator. To me the personal comments are minor disruptions, but the hijacking of the thread is annoying and although I have not reported any to date, I may start reporting some posts for the hijacking reason. Regardless of this subject, my method of transmitting personal messages is to send a text or an email to my acquaintances, as I am sure most readers are not interested in my personal correspondence with another member. I also note that members have the ability to list a contact method on their personal profile should they wish.

The text from the Standards relevant to my post is: "...Postings that have been placed on the boards to disrupt the flow of conversation or otherwise disrupt Cruise Critic members' enjoyment of the Community will be removed and you run the risk of losing your posting privileges. This would include,... utilizing the features of our Community to transmit messages of a personal nature.

Also disrupting to the Community is Thread hijacking which is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the original topic...."