Navigator not departing today

Sheltieluv

Due to tropical storm Phillipe, we are stuck in NYC and won't be departing until tomorrow at 5 p.m. The worst part is that we have to skip Bermuda totally. Very disappointed, but it is what it is.:loudcry:

Regent is offering a hop on/off bus excursion tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that, but safety first. I hear the storm is pretty bad so you really can't blame Regent for this, they are doing their job. Missing Bermuda would be a good thing for us, just kidding:') but we love sea days-the more the better. I'm sure your going to have a great Regent Cruise once you get on your way. Enjoy the time! Rick

Sheltieluv, Please keep us posted as to when your ship sails! I would also like to hear any impressions about the Navigator. I have read several reviews on the Navigator and look forward to any input that you may share with us. I hope you enjoy the cruise despite the storm delay.

I am across the river in Hoboken and the wind and rain are amazing. While we do need the rain, this is ridiculous. As of now, 9:40 pm, the wind is dying down but certainly not the rain.

Just curious, did anything sail today from midtown? There are usually one or two to leave every Saturday and Sunday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Good morning all from rainy and windy NYC.

Had a great meal last night in Compass Rose. Husband had sea bass and I had scallops. Food temp was appropriate for everything, and we loved our server. It's good to be back on board. Staff are smiling and friendly.

The Breakaway sailed yesterday according to schedule, but I don't know their itinerary. Had we sailed to Bermuda we would have had to cut directly through the tropical storm. Lots of disappointment among pax re missing Bermuda, but haven't come across any real "grumps" yet!

Will keep you posted. I know we'll have a great time on this beautiful little ship!

Skies have cleared but it's still very windy. Did the hop on, hop off bus excursion that was offered. Good way to see the city, and covered lots of areas.

Sail away is scheduled for 5 p.m.

The ship is in great condition, and this is our first time on it since its refurbishment. I like the colors and soft furnishings as well as the new furniture in Compass Rose.

If anyone has specific questions, I'll try to help you out. :)

Glad to hear you are having a good time and planned departure arranged now.

We are also fans of Navigator, very comfortable friendly ship, and you seem to get to know guests and staff much more easily.

Have a great cruise and keep us posted . Thanks, Jean.

The Breakaway sailed yesterday according to schedule, but I don't know their itinerary. Had we sailed to Bermuda we would have had to cut directly through the tropical storm. Lots of disappointment among pax re missing Bermuda, but haven't come across any real "grumps" yet!

Will keep you posted. I know we'll have a great time on this beautiful little ship!

The Breakaway's first port of call is Port Canaveral....so they were able to stay close to the coastline where it's a bit smoother....not to mention the much bigger size of that ship...;)

Sheltieluv, Sounds like the situation has improved. I am glad that you mentioned the refurbishment and the improvements to the ship that you have noticed. The Navigator has interesting itineraries that are of interest to many folks here on the board. I hope that the rest of the cruise experience matches the new shiny ship. Your impressions of service would be most interesting.

Reference delay departing NYC which resulted in canceling Bermuda port call--

Count your blessings, and the good sense of Regent CPT to put safety FIRST! Sorry for the caps, but, this brought back a very-bad experience several (21) years ago aboard a Holland America ship, capacity about 1250. Consider, size of that ship far outweighs your current lodgings; however, in the Atlantic, when confronting the tail-end of a hurricane (can't recall the name) size counts for very-little. There is a quote from some source, perhaps the Bible: My boat is so small; the sea is so vast. Apt.

Sure, it was a great sail-away passing the Statue of Liberty that evening; and going to dinner. Until, about 1930H, all hell broke loose. While at dinner, the ship started to lurch; almost everyone, including my dear wife, decided discretion was the better part of valor (Caesar), and departed for our suite. Well, so did most of the Staff. Plates crashed; people screamed. Wine bottles broke. Really, not a good scene. I was determined to finish my entre', and did so. By that time, the only people left in the main dining room, other than me, were a Head Waiter and one or two other guests.

Basic problem: We should NOT have left New York. The Captain misjudged sea conditions which were encountered only four hours out on our way to--yep, Bermuda. It was a very rough night. No sleep. Literally, hanging-on to the bed; or sitting up on a sofa. Fully-clothed with life jackets at the ready. As if, they would have been of much assistance. Anyway. All survived.

Five hours late arriving in Bermuda, but, by golly, the Captain made that port call.

I could go on--to include a lady with her luggage behind us as we waited for a tender to take us onshore for an excursion. Yep, she was ending her cruise about 15 days early; mad as a hatter, and willing to do anything to get off the ship to an airport in Bermuda and fly home. Well, that was a bit of an over-reaction. The rest of that cruise was great. Stuff does happen. But--some "stuff" can be avoided.

Best to all

GOARMY!

Hello everyone.

We left NYC at 5 p.m. yesterday under clear skies, so our departure was fine. As Manhattan faded away in the distance, we bid farewell to NYC, and I didn't hear anyone complain about our extra day there. As I mentioned, we were disappointed to be missing Bermuda, but safety first, always. (Go Army's post reinforces that!)

It was still very windy, so I anticipated some rough seas and took a Bonine capsule as a precaution. As it turned out, I should have taken the whole bottle.

We like to eat early, so we dine at 6:30. Had a wonderful dinner, but by the time I was enjoying dessert, I felt a bit "off " and told dh I wanted to return to our suite. (We're on deck 7.) We relaxed and watched some tv, but I was becoming more and more queasy. I was soon in the bathroom, where I spent most of the night with my new best friend, the porcelain throne.:o

I have never been so sick in my life. Our wonderful room attendant brought me some ginger candy and some ginger ale, which sometime during the night I managed to keep down so I finally made it to bed. My husband, of course, slept like a baby. If I hadn't been so sick, I would have throttled him.

Today was sunny and mild, and the seas are much calmer. I talked to the captain, and he told me that the waves last night were 15 to 20 feet.

It was a rough night, but I will be forever grateful for the captain's decision to stay in port an extra day. It could have been much, much worse.

Tho my appetite still wasn't great, I decided to venture out for a light lunch on the pool deck. While standing at the buffet, a wine bottle that was part of the decor had somehow vibrated itself off the top shelf and hit me on the shoulder and then shattered at my feet. I was immediately tended to, and the head waiter made sure I didn't have any embedded glass anywhere, and made a note of what had happened. I couldn't take any more adventure, so we ordered room service for dinner.:D

Another sea day tomorrow, which is fine by me. Despite a rocky start, it's been ok because of the wonderful staff. They really are outstanding.

Sheltieluv, you have been through a lot and still your attitude is positive. I admire you so much! Unfortunately, even though the Navigator is a beautiful ship, she has issues in rough seas and 15-20 ft. seas definitely is rough. Hope that you are feeling better tonight. When you get home, you may want to look into electronic seasick bands as they are quite effective and do not make you sleepy.

So good to hear that the crew has been so helpful (not surprising at all - they are amazing).

I want to add our thoughts and prayers for the people in NYC. Such a sad thing to happen.

We just attended the block party, and deck 7 was very well represented! An hour later, there were still many people out there chatting. We always love the block parties and think they are great fun and a nice way to meet one's neighbors.

Seas have calmed down, but unfortunately my stomach still isn't 100%. I'm having a great time regardless! Dh is thoroughly enjoying himself but has yet to find a former Marine so they can swap tales. I'm sure one or more will turn up eventually!:)

Note to irishwitchy-- we owned a sheltie (or more likely the other way around) until he passed 2 years ago at the age of 15. He was the smartest, most beautiful dog we ever had, and we still mourn him. Then after our beloved cat passed at the age of 18 shortly after, we couldn't bring ourselves to replace either of them. Yet.:) If and when we get another dog, it will definitely be a sheltie.

Hope that your tummy gets to 100% soon! It is unfortunate that the Navigator does not handle rough seas very well.

Quick note about the loss of furry family members. The loss and devastation lasts a long time and nothing can replace what you lost. However, adopting a new family member generally brings life and laughter back into your home.

The Navigator handled rough(~15' to ~18') seas well in the Bay of St. Lawrence on our cruise 3 years ago. The apparent wind speed over the deck was ~75 knots(60 knot winds directly on the bow + 15 knots of forward boat speed). An important factor is the direction of the seas relative to the heading of the ship. In our case we were heading directly into the weather. Our cabin was 616. We just took a nap during the worst of it. Any ship will roll if the seas are on the beam.

Just wanted to clarify things as some give the Navigator a bad rap. A big the ship is not always the answer. Design stability and center of gravity are also key.

The Navigator handled rough(~15' to ~18') seas well in the Bay of St. Lawrence on our cruise 3 years ago. The apparent wind speed over the deck was ~75 knots(60 knot winds directly on the bow + 15 knots of forward boat speed). An important factor is the direction of the seas relative to the heading of the ship. In our case we were heading directly into the weather. Our cabin was 616. We just took a nap during the worst of it. Any ship will roll if the seas are on the beam.

Just wanted to clarify things as some give the Navigator a bad rap. A big the ship is not always the answer. Design stability and center of gravity are also key.

What you posted makes sense but with all of the nights we have on Regent, we only get seasick on the Navigator. Could it always be going in directly into the weather and the other ships don't? My thoughts (no factual basis for them) is that the hull of the ship was not originally built to be a passenger ship so it wasn't as stable at sea as ships that are built for passengers. When they changed it to a passenger ship, whatever they used for stability didn't seem to work (especially in the aft section of the ship). What is a fact is that Regent tried to correct the problem by putting on a "duck tail". This stabilized the aft somewhat but the vibration remains.

Of Regent's four ships, the Mariner seems to take the "motion of the ocean" the best (and at least one Staff Captain agrees with this assessment although he was hopeful that the Explorer would be even more stable than the Mariner .........)

Jackie-

I find the Navigator a wonderful ship. It is cozy and relaxing. We sail it for its interesting itineries. I love the Explorer. It's the standard of luxury. Mariner and Voyager are lovely, as well. So we sail them all.

One question-- is there anything you like about the Navigator?

Respectfully,

Sheila

We have only sailed twice on Navigator. We also chose the ship for the itinerary.

I would happily sail on Navigator again. I just feel it’s the friendliest of the ships, it’s feels relaxed and you get to know fellow guests much easier on board.

We chose midship suites and had no issues of vibration or brown water.

We were aware of the vibration in Galileo lounge when ship was departing port, and occasionally in CR.

However I personally feel it is a favourite for me along with Explorer. Jean

Hi everyone!

We continue to have a great time aboard the Navigator. Have met some very nice people. One obnoxious guy but I just try to stay away from him; there's always one in every crowd, isn't there?;p The crew is wonderful. Some first-time Regent guests have commented to me on how friendly and helpful the crew is.

Some notes about the ports--

We chose this itinerary because it visits several islands new to us. St. Lucia, St. Barts, and Grenada were all beautiful in their own ways. We took full-day excursions on st. Lucia and Grenada. Tiring but informative, and we got a good overview of each.

Something strange happened on Aruba. The busses were all ready to depart, and as we started to leave the port area, we all came to a dead stop. There were independent taxi/tour operators blocking all of the exits. We sat there for almost 45 minutes while the police cleared the area. Our guide kept apologizing for the delay, and said that the independent drivers resent the company he works for. Aruba, "the happy island"--not so much that morning. Anyway, we finally were on our way. I hope they get their issues resolved.

Yesterday we were in Santa Marta, Columbia. The tour was interesting but it was so hot, it was difficult to fully enjoy it. We had a great guide, which makes a big difference, but the heat was difficult to deal with. Not a pretty port, but the cathedral and gold museum were nice.

We have a sea day today, and then Grand Cayman tomorrow. We've been there, so no excursion for us. Bye for now!:)

Thanks for taking time to post about your trip and the positive comments about the Navigator.

I glad to hear about the friendliness of the ship. We love the three Odyssey class Seabourn ships for that very reason. We are giving Regent another try soon because of the good itinerary offered by the Navigator and her size.

One question...what is the programing on the TV like...movie channels, news channels? Do they offer recent movies? We like to watch movies at night after dinner and sometimes in the afternoon.

Glad your cruise continues to be good. The same thing that happened to you in Aruba happened to us in Cartagena Colombia once on Mariner. The private taxi drivers blocked the entrance to the port. Police were called. Eventually was all sorted out, but annoying if you are waiting on a bus. We were there two days, and we did not have an excursion planned the next day. I refused to use a taxi that might have been doing the blocking the previous day, so we walked several blocks away from the port (thankfully it was in a safe enough area to do that) then hailed a taxi.