Free trolley in Key West

ranchette

We used the free Duval Loop bus the first week in December. We were docked near Front Street, so it wasn't too far to go to catch the bus. If you're there on a Sunday, it may start later than you'd like. However, I just explored the Truman Annex part of the city for a little while and then waited for the bus to pick me up near the post office. I used it a couple times and found it to be a great, free service. The drivers generally don't announce the stops, but if you want to visit a particular sight, you can ask the driver to let you off near by. it was a regular bus, although a smallish one - not a trolley. The stops were marked.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going in late April and the bus will not be running for me:

The Duval Loop Bus

FREE, runs every 15 minutes 10am-midnight. 30 minutes 6am-10am.

In Season: (Christmas through Easter) – 7 days a week

Off Season: (Easter through Christmas) – Thursday – Sunday

AWESOME!!!! We were planning to do one of the tour buses but decided we didn't want to go most of the places they go. This will work perfectly to get us to the Southernmost point, then we can walk back stopping at Hemingway house.

THANKS!!!!

So did I waste my money on the City View Trolley Tickets I bought?

If you've never been to KW, it isn't a waste at all. The trolley has narration, so you will get a great overview about the places you're passing and the island. It also goes to more places on more of the island. The free shuttle is a good choice for people who know where they want to go, and if it's on the shuttle route, they can get there without having to walk.

So did I waste my money on the City View Trolley Tickets I bought?

I just went online to buy tickets from City View Trolley Tours and it says "Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma resulting in the steep decline in the Key West sightseeing market, CityView Trolleys of Key West will suspend operations effective 2/1/18." You should go online for directions on how to get your money back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And I guess this just shows that his reputation is correct... Instead of honoring the City View tickets, you have to request a refund and then rebook on Old Town at the 50% higher price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yep. To oversimplify this was a family thing from the beginning. The son-in-law worked for his FIL who owns Historic Tours of America. Divorce ensued and SIL opened City View Trolley as a competitor operating at roughly half the cost to the public. Evidently they weren't doing as well as I suspected with this latest news. (Or maybe they got remarried, LOL) The complete details have not surfaced yet.

Mike;)

• 1 month later...
Good news about this free trolley it is now running 7 days all year

Cheers Carole

We are going to be there on May 14th. Wednesday I thought it only ran on the weekend after Easter. How did you find out it will be running everyday?

The news link is posted on the City of Key West's website:

http://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/egov/apps/document/center.egov?view=browse&eGov_searchType=46&eGov_searchDepartment=23

News item is from 3/28/2018 so this is a very recent development. Here is a direct link to the statement:

http://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/egov/apps/document/center.egov?view=item;id=18463