I'm looking for input about independence of the seas

sidekick180

I am considering booking a cruise for myself and my girlfriend in May 2019 on Royal Carribean, Independence of the seas. I was hoping that people on here could give me some advice on what to expect on this ship. We had our very first cruise on P&O Ventura 4th to 11th May 2018 and although we could not fault the entertainment, the service or the food, we did find the trip very wobbly, even though the seas were really calm. Apparently the ship had a technical fault, which possibly could have had something to do with the amount of rolling and pitching. It was definitely the cause for a change of itinerary and us missing one of the port of calls (Oporto).

I am hoping that there wont be quite so much movement on our next cruise but obviously rough seas would change that.

Any information on the Independence of the seas would be much appreciated. I.e. what is the ship like, what's the food, service and entertainment like etc.etc.

I have read through lots of reviews and there are quite a few poor reviews but also lots of positive ones. Very difficult to actually get a proper feel for what this ship is actually like. The cruise I am considering is a 7 night cruise and will be going from Southampton to Hamburg, Oslo and Bruges, then back to Southampton.

Might not get much of a response since Independence of the Seas was just refurbished a few months ago. That said, it'll feel like a brand new ship to you so hopefully the food/service/etc matches the feel of the boat. It was a very comfortable ride before the refurbishment so it'll probably not change after.

Hi, again... yes, the Ventura fault was mended on the next cruise, in Vigo.

Indy is much larger than V, so has more activities on board, which might please you, and is a stable ship- but your experience on V was particularly poor because of the fault, otherwise I'd once again be reassuring you that both ships are smooth sail-ers. :)

Any fault- free ship will toss around on a really choppy ocean, but it's fairly unusual to have the predicament you had last time, and I don't think you'll have the same experience again.

Indy is one of the most popular ships sailing from the UK, because when she was originally built she was home berthed here all year round; unfortunately she's not built for a northern winter, so after a few years (2 or 3), she wasn't filling enough, so had to go to the Caribbean to overwinter.

We enjoyed her, but had difficulty with poor weather, which meant many out door activities couldn't happen, but a Med cruise shouldn't have that problem.