The Magic 56 - What Will It Be Like To Have a Cabin Along the Magic Carpet?

vtcruising

Ever since the Magic Carpet was introduced, there has been a lot of discussion on the Edge forum about what it will be like to be in a cabin along the MC. Some have been fascinated by it and want to be nearby to watch it and others have booked the port side specifically to be far away from it.

There has been some discussion on Lloyd's thread and I was thinking maybe people who were researching those cabins would be better able to find info on another thread. I was looking at which cabins will be affected. We know the 28 S3's will be affected in some way (likely some noise, obstructed views) and the Celebrity website lists the 2 cabins on each side of the MC as partially obstructed on the 7 decks of cabins, for a total of 56 cabins - hence the Magic 56! ;) I'm not saying that those will be the only cabins affected by the MC, but are the ones most likely to be affected.

Anyway, whatever we call them, it will be interesting to see how people like them. They could end up being the undesirables of the ship or maybe will have only mild annoyances with a better price tag.

Here's a picture of a model of the Edge, which shows some of the affected cabins. Hopefully, as time goes on we will get more pictures and info on these cabins.

enhance

VT- personally I would not spend "suite-type money" to sail in an S3 that is on the magic carpet. That's just me. Will it be noisy or quiet? Will privacy be an issue in your cabin when the carpet goes by? Heck- people complain in some cabins about deck chairs moving above them or noise from elevators. It will be interesting to hear the comments!

TeeRick:

I agree that I would have concerns with these untested suites if on a 7 or more night cruise. I decided to book one on one of my 3 night preview cruises as a way to experience them in a setting where the balcony won't be as important. I think we will want to spend more time exploring the ship and experiencing the Retreat, pool deck, solarium, Eden, all the new bars and restaurants, etc. (and some on 7 night cruises may feel the same on their first Edge cruise, but my DH is big into having a sunny, reasonably quiet balcony).

The balcony may be wonderful much of the time, as far as movement, MC obstructions and noise (depending on the deck you are on). The two middle suites will only have a view straight ahead and that may bother some (at least the two end suites can see forward or aft as well). Maybe some won't worry about the balcony as much when they have access to The Retreat and maybe a less busy main pool due to 12% of the guests having access to The Retreat. The benefits will be the central location, the larger balconies, front row seat to the MC action and lower price with access to all suite perks (a few hundred less per person now). If the first reports coming in are negative, they may drop the price on those suites further and some people might find it worthwhile to experience the suite life at a lower price.

I imagine that some of those who are booked in those suites are ignorant of the location and will likely grumble the most since they won't be prepared for issues. It has been interesting to hear discussion of people on CC who have seemed to go through the decision-making process, weighing pros and cons and booked an S3 (like me). It is a calculated risk for us (and we seem to be going in with realistic expectations) - time will tell, though, if the S3's will become the pariah suites of the Edge. :D

The reason we booked a S3 is because we wanted to book the cheapest seat to have access to the suite amenities. We booked the day of the announcement, bascially changing an onboard booking from the Equinox with the same itinary.

Now, that we know what we know, would have I booked a S2 or S1 instead of a S3 for a couple hundread more? yeah, most likely. However, since I paid less for the whole cruise for the 2 of us than what they are charging pp on a S3 now... I'll take it.

It might be the differential in the future gets bigger than $100-200 pp.

The reason we booked a S3 is because we wanted to book the cheapest seat to have access to the suite amenities. We booked the day of the announcement, bascially changing an onboard booking from the Equinox with the same itinary.

Now, that we know what we know, would have I booked a S2 or S1 instead of a S3 for a couple hundread more? yeah, most likely. However, since I paid less for the whole cruise for the 2 of us than what they are charging pp on a S3 now... I'll take it.

It might be the differential in the future gets bigger than $100-200 pp.

We are on the same 1/20/19 cruise. Will look forward to what you think of the S3. Hopefully, you will love it! :D

We are also on the Jan 20 cruise. Perhaps a cabin crawl would be good on a new ship. We have a CS but I would like to see an S3 and S1 aft and of course the infinite balcony. We can set this up on our roll call.

We are also on the Jan 20 cruise. Perhaps a cabin crawl would be good on a new ship. We have a CS but I would like to see an S3 and S1 aft and of course the infinite balcony. We can set this up on our roll call.

Great idea! We are doing cabin crawls on our 2 preview cruises, but no CS yet. Can’t wait to hear how the layout ended up. If I can’t see a CS on my 2 preview cruises, I will ask the butler if there is a loggia or not. 😃

I cannot, yet, envision MC being much of an issue except when being moved up or down.

I would think that on sea days it will be up and on docking days it will be lowered after dinner at night and seeing that there will be no passengers riding it, there must be or hopefully, a protocol in place for any staff riding it up or down to be prevented from gazing into a cabin.

The issue I glean from the prototype are the guide railings of the MC which will, possibly, obstruct views on either side. While many think me loco already, I do not think that other than the obstructions, the MC movement should not be an issue.

Am I missing something possibly in all of this?

bon voyage

How many levels will MC stop at? If there are no tender ports will it stay up or down ? On sea days will it be up by the pool?

It's not very clear...I am afraid of heights so will not go near it..unless needing it to board tenders...As it turns out, our itin has no tender ports so.a moot issue for us.

I also wonder how much this appendage cost in terms of design , construction and projected operation and maint. Seems resources could have been better used elsewhere.

Better tenders will be great but perhaps there would have been a diff plan???

We have a B2B booked for 4/14 and 4/21. The first week in an infinity and the second in S3 so I will be able to compare and report. Good, bad or indifferent, we made the reservation when the cost was less than half of what it has been for several months now. I'll report next spring!

How many levels will MC stop at? If there are no tender ports will it stay up or down ? On sea days will it be up by the pool?

It's not very clear...I am afraid of heights so will not go near it..unless needing it to board tenders...As it turns out, our itin has no tender ports so.a moot issue for us.

I also wonder how much this appendage cost in terms of design , construction and projected operation and maint. Seems resources could have been better used elsewhere.

Better tenders will be great but perhaps there would have been a diff plan???

I tend to agree that the Magic carpet is purely a gimmick. It will be interesting to see the reviews after the first few sailings. Also will it be on other Edge-Class ships or is it one and done?

Here is my take about when the Magic Carpet might move (an educated guess) and potential negatives and positives of the Magic Carpet:

Magic Carpet Activity (operated by the bridge officer from the bridge wing) and only "parks" on 2, 5, 14, 16. The FAQs say that the MC will reposition a few times a day.

-It sounds like it will only be on Deck 2 when they are using the tenders (and maybe for drills in port).

-The Magic Carpet will be an extension of the Pool Deck on 14 (bar/lounge/live music). In the FAQs, they talk about having it there on sea days.

-It sounds like Dinner on the Edge might be done at least once on each cruise. This will be on Deck 16. I also wonder if it will be parked up there when not needed for the pool deck (port days).

-The Magic Carpet Restaurant (when the Magic Carpet becomes an extension of Raw on 5) is open 6-10 for dinner. This will be on Deck 5. It's not clear if that is every night that there isn't a Dinner on the Edge.

So, since it has to park on one of those 4 decks and it doesn't seem like it can be on Deck 2 while at sea, it would seem that it would park on 14 during the day on sea days and maybe on 16 on port days. If needed for dinner on Deck 5, it could be repositioned around 4-5 o'clock to set it up (or go to Deck 16, if not there already, for Dinner on the Edge). Dinner would end at 10-1030 and then they would need to tear it down as a dining venue. I am wondering if it will be repositioned around 11 PM on Deck 16 for the night, if not already there.

An example of a MC sea day schedule could be:

-MC moves from Deck 16 to Deck 14 as extension of the pool deck at 9 AM.

-MC repositions at 4-5 PM to Deck 5 or Deck 16 for dinner

-MC repositioned to Deck 16 (if not there already) at 11 PM until the morning (or possibly repositioned to 14 some nights after dinner for a party by the pool).

An example of a port day when needed for tendering, the schedule could be:

-MC repositioned to Deck 2 after docking.

-MC repositioned to Deck 5 or 16 for dinner before leaving port. If staying late in port, then no dinner offered on MC?

MC repositioned on 16 for the night.

I know it sounds like I have too much time on my hands, but I just spent 12 hours in a car the last 3 days (and read everyone's posts about MC questions and concerns) and had to occupy myself somehow, so started some speculating about the MC schedule. :D

Magic Carpet Negatives (some were asking what the issues might be)

For Surrounding Cabins:

-Noise - in the FAQs, they say "because the Magic Carpet is mechanically operated, there is some noise, however our naval architects have taken every precaution in the design to minimize noise." I think there will likely be some noise with the movement, though I really don't anticipate it being that annoying because it will be predictable (times will be in the dailies) and I imagine it will be done rather quickly.

I think the more likely source of noise will be for those with cabins above, below, beside where the MC is parked and being used. Dishes clinking, people talking and laughing, chairs being moved, music playing - maybe not, but that's my concern.

-Obstruction - When the MC is parked on 5, there will be some obstruction of views of cabins on 6 and to either side.

Also, the 4 S3s on decks 7-12 have the MC rails on either side. The railing for the balconies have to be set way back for safety reasons since the MC will pass by their balconies. This will mean having obstructed views toward the forward and aft for the middle two S3's, though will have views straight ahead (the forward ones have a window on the deck facing forward and the aft ones have windows facing aft).

Overhang: When on 14 or 16, it will become a big overhang for the cabins below (may be a good thing for those who prefer shade).

General Concerns:

-? windy

-? comfort in inclement weather

-discomfort with being out on a ledge that high up (when on 14 or 16)

-gimmicky, will it end up being underutilized?

Magic Carpet Positives

For People in Surrounding Cabins:

-Cabins are centrally located

-The S3's have larger balconies than S2's.

-Interesting sights watching the MC reposition

-Prices are less than comparable cabins in other locations

For Guests in General:

-Unique dining venues - place for dining al fresco, once each cruise likely a Chef's Table-type experience with Dinner on the Edge

-Fun addition for a pool party

-Comfortable way to tender

-X may have other interesting uses for the space

I personally am fascinated by it, but worry there may be many of the issues above or some we haven't thought of yet. I have some faith in the naval architects in designing something that will function well and have hope that the MC will be a be very popular with guests. The pictures show a venue that I think I might enjoy and I intend to have fun trying it out. :D

If the cabins/suites around the MC become the undesirables, so be it - they will be discounted and someone will be willing to put up with the issues at the right price.

Even though this is being billed as the centerpiece for this ship, for me it is just a small part of the whole experience. There will be so much more to see and do, that if it isn't a favorite of mine, I will likely still enjoy the ship.

Here is my take about when the Magic Carpet might move (an educated guess) and potential negatives and positives of the Magic Carpet:

Magic Carpet Activity (operated by the bridge officer from the bridge wing) and only "parks" on 2, 5, 14, 16. The FAQs say that the MC will reposition a few times a day.

-It sounds like it will only be on Deck 2 when they are using the tenders (and maybe for drills in port).

-The Magic Carpet will be an extension of the Pool Deck on 14 (bar/lounge/live music). In the FAQs, they talk about having it there on sea days.

-It sounds like Dinner on the Edge might be done at least once on each cruise. This will be on Deck 16. I also wonder if it will be parked up there when not needed for the pool deck (port days).

-The Magic Carpet Restaurant (when the Magic Carpet becomes an extension of Raw on 5) is open 6-10 for dinner. This will be on Deck 5. It's not clear if that is every night that there isn't a Dinner on the Edge.

So, since it has to park on one of those 4 decks and it doesn't seem like it can be on Deck 2 while at sea, it would seem that it would park on 14 during the day on sea days and maybe on 16 on port days. If needed for dinner on Deck 5, it could be repositioned around 4-5 o'clock to set it up (or go to Deck 16, if not there already, for Dinner on the Edge). Dinner would end at 10-1030 and then they would need to tear it down as a dining venue. I am wondering if it will be repositioned around 11 PM on Deck 16 for the night, if not already there.

An example of a MC sea day schedule could be:

-MC moves from Deck 16 to Deck 14 as extension of the pool deck at 9 AM.

-MC repositions at 4-5 PM to Deck 5 or Deck 16 for dinner

-MC repositioned to Deck 16 (if not there already) at 11 PM until the morning (or possibly repositioned to 14 some nights after dinner for a party by the pool).

An example of a port day when needed for tendering, the schedule could be:

-MC repositioned to Deck 2 after docking.

-MC repositioned to Deck 5 or 16 for dinner before leaving port. If staying late in port, then no dinner offered on MC?

MC repositioned on 16 for the night.

I know it sounds like I have too much time on my hands, but I just spent 12 hours in a car the last 3 days (and read everyone's posts about MC questions and concerns) and had to occupy myself somehow, so started some speculating about the MC schedule. :D

Magic Carpet Negatives (some were asking what the issues might be)

For Surrounding Cabins:

-Noise - in the FAQs, they say "because the Magic Carpet is mechanically operated, there is some noise, however our naval architects have taken every precaution in the design to minimize noise." I think there will likely be some noise with the movement, though I really don't anticipate it being that annoying because it will be predictable (times will be in the dailies) and I imagine it will be done rather quickly.

I think the more likely source of noise will be for those with cabins above, below, beside where the MC is parked and being used. Dishes clinking, people talking and laughing, chairs being moved, music playing - maybe not, but that's my concern.

-Obstruction - When the MC is parked on 5, there will be some obstruction of views of cabins on 6 and to either side.

Also, the 4 S3s on decks 7-12 have the MC rails on either side. The railing for the balconies have to be set way back for safety reasons since the MC will pass by their balconies. This will mean having obstructed views toward the forward and aft for the middle two S3's, though will have views straight ahead (the forward ones have a window on the deck facing forward and the aft ones have windows facing aft).

Overhang: When on 14 or 16, it will become a big overhang for the cabins below (may be a good thing for those who prefer shade).

General Concerns:

-? windy

-? comfort in inclement weather

-discomfort with being out on a ledge that high up (when on 14 or 16)

-gimmicky, will it end up being underutilized?

Magic Carpet Positives

For People in Surrounding Cabins:

-Cabins are centrally located

-The S3's have larger balconies than S2's.

-Interesting sights watching the MC reposition

-Prices are less than comparable cabins in other locations

For Guests in General:

-Unique dining venues - place for dining al fresco, once each cruise likely a Chef's Table-type experience with Dinner on the Edge

-Fun addition for a pool party

-Comfortable way to tender

-X may have other interesting uses for the space

I personally am fascinated by it, but worry there may be many of the issues above or some we haven't thought of yet. I have some faith in the naval architects in designing something that will function well and have hope that the MC will be a be very popular with guests. The pictures show a venue that I think I might enjoy and I intend to have fun trying it out. :D

If the cabins/suites around the MC become the undesirables, so be it - they will be discounted and someone will be willing to put up with the issues at the right price.

Even though this is being billed as the centerpiece for this ship, for me it is just a small part of the whole experience. There will be so much more to see and do, that if it isn't a favorite of mine, I will likely still enjoy the ship.

You have put a lot of thought into this,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When they use it for tendering will they have to remove all of the furniture ?

They have talked about different set ups on different levels/venues. I imagine they will have a system for breaking down and setting up at each level with storage.

I did see a picture of the MC being used for tendering where there were tables and chairs at the opposite end of the MC from the tender boarding area. You talk about great people watching! 😃

Enjoyed your analysis..

Don't feel bad about your car trip taking so long. We flew home from Florida earlier this week .,.Ft Myers thru Baltimore to NY. Thanks to SW Air it was a marathon. We started out at 4:30 pm, but did not arrive in NY til 2:30 am..Just a series of snafus! It' a 2 1/2 hr non stop...but SW doesn't do many of those for our airports.

One thought re pool parties...seems there are reserved rental cabanas between the pool and where I imagine the MC will dock... these Cabanas kind of chop up the flow of the deck.

Will there by speakers on MC for music? That could have a wide impact...

To me MC seems not worth all that's going to be required but time will tell. The Rising Tide Bar on Oasis made more sense...just my take on it!

Off topic

They could have done something like the Rising Tide Bar in the Eden space...better than a circular walkway,..

But obviously no one asked any of us...and many of their Big Ideas seem to have come from non cruisers!

Vtcruising, glad to know that I am not the only one ruminating over the MC. I personally can't justify the expense of a suite, but these suites might be interesting to the few people in the world like me, who's idea of an ideal waterfront view would be looking at a harbor. I love seeing stuff working. I do wonder if the MC suites will really impact the forward and aft views of more than just those two cabins either side. That whole section must stick out 8-10'. Also the shade cast by the MC could be annoying for those who like to catch some sun. And the noise... not just from the mechanics but the wind rattling the railing, covering etc and the people partying up top and dining. That could be annoying for more than just the suite passengers. It might be like having a boardwalk balcony on Oasis class.... fun for some, not so fun for others. I wonder what it will be like having dinner on deck 5 with a strong apparent while the ship is heading to its next port? Or will they only use the MC for dinner when the ship is essentially still... say going from St Maarten to St Kitts. I am sure that the nautical engineers have run simulations... but just wonder how well this will work in real life. Looking forward to seeing my self.

Enjoyed your analysis..

Don't feel bad about your car trip taking so long. We flew home from Florida earlier this week .,.Ft Myers thru Baltimore to NY. Thanks to SW Air it was a marathon. We started out at 4:30 pm, but did not arrive in NY til 2:30 am..Just a series of snafus! It' a 2 1/2 hr non stop...but SW doesn't do many of those for our airports.

One thought re pool parties...seems there are reserved rental cabanas between the pool and where I imagine the MC will dock... these Cabanas kind of chop up the flow of the deck.

Will there by speakers on MC for music? That could have a wide impact...

To me MC seems not worth all that's going to be required but time will tell. The Rising Tide Bar on Oasis made more sense...just my take on it!

Wow, your travel sounds worse than mine. :D Did you also kill time by thinking about the MC and what the schedule would look like? ;)

I feel the same way about the cabanas - doesn't look like a great spot to put them, unless they wanted them to have easy access to the bar on the MC on sea days. It does affect the flow for others - they must have a pathway to the MC, if it will be there for all guests on sea days.

I hadn't thought about speakers on the MC - that could add to the noise. I was picturing an acoustic guitar. :D

I did the Rising Tide once and enjoyed it, but felt like it was a one and done. You are right that it would be less disruptive overall to other things on the ship. I guess X wanted to keep to their outward facing theme. Hope it works out well!

Vtcruising, glad to know that I am not the only one ruminating over the MC. I personally can't justify the expense of a suite, but these suites might be interesting to the few people in the world like me, who's idea of an ideal waterfront view would be looking at a harbor. I love seeing stuff working. I do wonder if the MC suites will really impact the forward and aft views of more than just those two cabins either side. That whole section must stick out 8-10'. Also the shade cast by the MC could be annoying for those who like to catch some sun. And the noise... not just from the mechanics but the wind rattling the railing, covering etc and the people partying up top and dining. That could be annoying for more than just the suite passengers. It might be like having a boardwalk balcony on Oasis class.... fun for some, not so fun for others. I wonder what it will be like having dinner on deck 5 with a strong apparent while the ship is heading to its next port? Or will they only use the MC for dinner when the ship is essentially still... say going from St Maarten to St Kitts. I am sure that the nautical engineers have run simulations... but just wonder how well this will work in real life. Looking forward to seeing my self.

Interesting ruminations....

Yes, I didn't mention the protrusion of the MC S3's and how that would affect other cabins - I agree that there is probably at least an 8-10 foot protrusion plus the MC rails so I would think many cabins on the starboard side will have a partial obstruction. I have been in many cabins and suites over the years with something protruding that caused a partial obstruction (window washer, the bridge, etc.) and saw enough of the water and sights to keep me happy. Hopefully, this will be a mild annoyance. :D

We were in a 2D cabin on deck 6 on Silhouette. There was a bit of a lifeboat view... but really did not impact the ocean view.. Kinda liked being able to see inside the life boat, I wondered how that was set up. But I still had almost a 180 degree view... Being a bit anal... I took the deck plan for Edge..on deck 11 and drew some sight lines to the bridge. It looks like few of the cabins on the starboard side aft the MC jut out section... will be able to see the flying bridge. I like being able to see that when docking. So this side will be fun to watch the MC go up and down... but if you want quiet and like to listen to the sound of the ocean and watch the ships crew when docking the port side would be preferable.

I reread the FAQs sheet and found a little more info.

Looking at the initial concept of the MC, they were going for a yacht-like, breezy venue, so they realize it will be breezy (and is part of the experience). We will need to hold onto our napkins!

It looks like a combination of some fixed furniture and some that changes depending on the venue.

36. WHAT IS THE MAGIC CARPET?

Perched on the starboard side of the ship, the Magic Carpet makes Celebrity Edge’s distinctive, sleek profile recognizable from miles away. With its stunning, open-air panoramic, outward-facing ocean views, Magic Carpet is designed with a yacht-like, breezy, and casual vibe, with comfortable seating, a full bar, and space for live music performances, making it the place to see and be seen.

38. WILL THE FURNITURE ON THE MAGIC CARPET CHANGE ON EACH DECK?

• The Magic Carpet is designed with comfortable seating, a full bar, and space for live music performances, making it a destination itself.

• Some furniture is fixed, while the environment and experiences will change around it from deck to deck