Using phone as a hotspot

vhradice

My phone will allow me to use it as a wifi hotspot. Can I buy an internet package from the cruise ship for 1 device, connect the phone to the internet using the package that I bought, set up the phone as a hotspot and then connect my other devices (laptop, ipad, ) using the phone hotspot to connect more that 1 device to the internet? I assume that I will have to disable the phone from using the cell phone service and only use the wifi for access. Can the cruise line detect that I am using the phone as a hotspot to connect multiple devices through the phone? I assume that the bandwidth would be shared by all devices.

Has anyone tried this?

My phone will allow me to use it as a wifi hotspot. Can I buy an internet package from the cruise ship for 1 device, connect the phone to the internet using the package that I bought, set up the phone as a hotspot and then connect my other devices (laptop, ipad, ) using the phone hotspot to connect more that 1 device to the internet? I assume that I will have to disable the phone from using the cell phone service and only use the wifi for access. Can the cruise line detect that I am using the phone as a hotspot to connect multiple devices through the phone? I assume that the bandwidth would be shared by all devices.

Has anyone tried this?

I don’t think that will work. With my iPhone, the hotspot on works with incoming cellular data, not WiFi.

Neal in Cincinnati

I don't think your phone is set up to connect to wifi then act as a hotspot for other devices. Secondly, ship internet is pretty slow as it is and even if you could route through your phone would make it even slower. All the lines I have cruised you have a wifi log on so you can use it on multiple devices, just not multiple devices at one time. You will need to log into one device and do your business then log out and do your business on the next device.

Has anyone tried this?

Nice try.

Cellular phone "hot spots" are piggybacking "cellular" data provision (not "wi fi" data).

To wifi hotspot a wifi connection would require two wifi transmitters/receivers in the phone.

Not cost or power efficient for 99.99999999% of users.

Some people have used portable routers to share the internet connection. But others have reported that they were unable to get them to work, suggesting that the loophole may have been closed.

Has anyone tried this?

If your phone is anything like mine enabling it as a WiFi hotspot turns the phone WiFi off. As others have said, the WiFi hotspot feature allows other devices to share one lot of cellular data, not WiFi. It is useful on land though. We get a local SIM for DH's phone and I connect to that for WiFi.