What are your thoughts on Ghent if I've already been to Bruges

jobinhume

It is a great little town, and I'd be happy to return, but I have already been to Bruges.

I was thinking about going to Brussels but it is a long ride from Zeebrugge so I was looking at Ghent as an alternative. Has anyone who's been there provide any insight?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is a great little town, and I'd be happy to return, but I have already been to Bruges.

I was thinking about going to Brussels but it is a long ride from Zeebrugge so I was looking at Ghent as an alternative. Has anyone who's been there provide any insight?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a tour that included Brugges and Ghent. I have been to Brussels some years ago (not on a cruise). I would recommend going to Brugges and Ghent and saving Brussels for a land trip.

Consider taking the tram (kusttram) from Zeebrugge along the coast to Ostend. Unexciting, but very pleasant, very easy, and easy on your time and your pocket. Mebbe go just a couple of stops further to the Atlantic Wall at Raversjide - lots of stuff from both World Wars. But involves about half a mile walk on a footpath over the dunes from the tram stop

JB :)

We did a Ghent on your own trip from Zebrugge just before Christmas. Were given a chocolate as we got on the bus and had a guide who gave us a potted history as we drove along but left us to it when we got to Ghent. We had the christmas markets which added interest but even without there is plenty to see and do for a morning and we would have liked longer. Didn't try to get there independently so can't comment on trains but it took about an hour on the coach.

We visited Ghent last year from Zeebrugge. It takes about an hour to get there and as well as the walks and so on already mentioned, there are canal tours with commentaries. At present (or at least when we were there), the canals do not quite encircle the city, so the tours are out and back the same way, but they are interesting.

Lastly, you should stop in a local café for a hot chocolate:D

• 2 weeks later...
We lived in Belgium for 6 years and often went to Ghent for the day. There's some interesting artwork in a few of the churches and a castle to explore. The stores often had a good selection of lace with more reasonable prices than Bruges.

Just bear in mind that none of that lace is either local or handmade. I am not saying that it's not nice, but they do like to give the impression that it is more than it really is.

Last year we cruised on the Caribbean Princess on a transatlantic from FLL, that was followed by cruise among the British Isles. When our scheduled stop at Le Havre was cancelled due to striking dock workers, a stop at Bruges was substituted. We chose to do a ship's excursion that was primarily a riverboat ride thru the city, which we enjoyed very much. The boat driver/tour guide was very knowledgeable and pleasant, and we saw many interesting things. We also had some free time to walk around in Ghent. It was a nice relaxed day.

I'm Belgian and honestly I like Ghent more than Bruges.

They are both different and pleasant to visit, but they give a different feeling.

Bruges is more 'romantic', while Ghent is more artistic, cultural. I really love the buildings in Ghent. Tip: take a boat on the river with a guide :-)

You can also take the train to Ghent. Cheap, frequent trains and a direct line (you don't have to change trains).

• 4 months later...

Ghent is NOT a mini Bruges! First of all, it is a much larger town with more than 200,000 residents )with a university, thriving business community as well as excellent shopping. Dining and sightseeing.

Yes, there are canals (hence the comparison to Bruges I suppose) it also boasts a cathedral, churches and other historical attractions.

While I love Bruges it is a disneyfied town in many ways and Ghent is a place where Belgians live and work that can also be enjoyed by tourists.

• 1 month later...

I've been to Ghent and liked it, although I didn't spend long there or do much. I had a nice meal, watched the canal and some weird college kids, admired the architecture and a church, all that. It was nicer than Brussels and less crowded than Bruges (well, Bruges during the day--Bruges at night is great).

• 6 months later...
Just bear in mind that none of that lace is either local or handmade. I am not saying that it's not nice, but they do like to give the impression that it is more than it really is.

As a lacemaker.. Honiton, Brussels, Torchon etc.

I can attest to that. Just as in Venice, the bulk of the lace is machine made. I saw a woman with bobbins attatched to a piece of machine lace, trying to pretend that the lace was all her handwork. so funny..

Some things to consider, most handmade lace has a 'wrong side" where you can see where thread has been added in. Machine made does not.

And if you can afford it, it probably is not handmade.

Devon lass speaking.

<hijack>

Hey Bowsprit,

My mother used to make lace and crochet. We have some beautiful tableware made with lace trim and a christening shawl (well, our granddaughter has it now) that she crocheted.