Should I depart from Dublin or Southamton, London on Princess cruise?

I have been wanting to book a British Isles cruise for next year in the summer. Princess seems to be the only one going during the months I can go, end of June, July and Aug. They had 2 itineraries, one that leaves from Southampton (with a Dublin over night) and a new one that leaves from Dublin. They go to the same ports just different starting points. Any advice on which one to choose? I'm leaning toward the Dublin one since there are more sights I would want to see in Dublin hopefully pre-cruise than starting out in Southampton. Or should we just Dublin during the overnight the Southampton one does? I only have 14 days off and the cruise is 12 so not sure how much I would see on each end before/after anyway.

I would first check out flights. You can't see next summer flights so just look at this summer to get a feel for ease of flying to and from each city and also cost.

Keith

I looked at the airfare prices and they're not too different. NY>London (LHR) about $609 NY>Dublin $547. I don't know much about the location of the London airport from the cruise ship and what there is to see around it, but I know the Dublin airport isn't too far from the city center and I would imagine the cruise port.

I looked at the airfare prices and they're not too different. NY>London (LHR) about $609 NY>Dublin $547. I don't know much about the location of the London airport from the cruise ship and what there is to see around it, but I know the Dublin airport isn't too far from the city center and I would imagine the cruise port.

Southampton is about 56 miles / 90 to 120 minutes from LHR - that's much further than Dublin / airport.

And LHR to central London is about 16 urban miles / 15 to 60 minutes in the opposite direction.

So no contest for convenience of airport / city / cruise port.

London is so much more worth the extra days, but esp with LHR & Southampton being comparatively inconvenient and you not having extra days available that's mebbe irrelevant. To be worth visiting London you'd need at the very least one full day between your flight day and your sailing day.

I'm surprised that flights to Dublin & are similarly-priced, London Gatwick is usually cheaper than London Heathrow.

Or Icelandair have cheap flight to Dublin - it's via Rekjavik but that means for no extra cost you can have a stop-over there of, say, 24 hours.

JB :)

I booked that same cruise for next summer and for us it only came down to cabin availability. We need two interior cabins next to each other and the Dublin one didn't have any pairs like that available. I would have preferred to sail out of Dublin because we have already sailed out of Southampton before (to Norway). And as mentioned above, the Dublin port is much closer to the airport or downtown area than the almost two hour drive to the Southampton port. At least with the SH cruise we will get an overnight stop in Dublin.

Either one would be great! I would start looking at what cabin/s you want and the pricing is similar, although you might find a better deal on one vs. the other.

Yes, as John Bull notes, a visit to London (before transferring to Southampton) is worth the extra *days*, but since you haven't got days (and you'll lose a day flying to Europe from the U.S.), it doesn't make as much difference which you choose.

Dublin's a good choice. Southampton's a good choice -- either do a quick highlights/HoHo tour of London or visit somewhere else (like Salisbury/Stonehenge) on the way to Southampton with your extra time with your extra day. I don't think there's a definitely better choice: it will depend on what you want to see. What interests you from each port?

I booked that same cruise for next summer and for us it only came down to cabin availability. We need two interior cabins next to each other and the Dublin one didn't have any pairs like that available. I would have preferred to sail out of Dublin because we have already sailed out of Southampton before (to Norway). And as mentioned above, the Dublin port is much closer to the airport or downtown area than the almost two hour drive to the Southampton port. At least with the SH cruise we will get an overnight stop in Dublin.

Either one would be great! I would start looking at what cabin/s you want and the pricing is similar, although you might find a better deal on one vs. the other.

Now I'm a bit nervous. I have been kind of watching the sales on Princess for the BI cruises and they have the Southampton one for this year at a discount. I was thinking of waiting till next year this same time to actually book the Dublin departure one for 2019 and try and catch the same sale. I'm wondering now if it's going to get all booked by then. The difference in price of this year is about $1,300 pp so for me it's a big savings.

Now I'm a bit nervous. I have been kind of watching the sales on Princess for the BI cruises and they have the Southampton one for this year at a discount. I was thinking of waiting till next year this same time to actually book the Dublin departure one for 2019 and try and catch the same sale. I'm wondering now if it's going to get all booked by then. The difference in price of this year is about $1,300 pp so for me it's a big savings.

Are you particular about cabins, though? Rocklinmom just couldn't find availability of two interiors beside each other. If you're more flexible, it shouldn't be so much of an issue.

You can always book it now to have your cabin choice and re-fare when the sales come on. This is my plan (hopefully). We booked the STH departure because we want to see some sights in London. We also booked the Dublin overnight so we get the benefit of 2 days there as well.

Yes, exactly! You could book now and watch the fares. The Sip n Sail promo (with beverage package or OBC instead) usually starts in the summer and that is historically for balcony cabins or higher (and the fares can change at that time). Then the 3 for Free promo comes in the fall and it includes gratuities (a huge savings for us with five) and OBC. That one usually includes all cabin categories, so I always keep an eye out for it.

It is easy to call Princess and refare your cruise/switch promo's. I do it all the time. And worse case scenario, you can always get your deposit back before final payment is due (at around 90 days out).

Yes, exactly! You could book now and watch the fares. The Sip n Sail promo (with beverage package or OBC instead) usually starts in the summer and that is historically for balcony cabins or higher (and the fares can change at that time). Then the 3 for Free promo comes in the fall and it includes gratuities (a huge savings for us with five) and OBC. That one usually includes all cabin categories, so I always keep an eye out for it.

It is easy to call Princess and refare your cruise/switch promo's. I do it all the time. And worse case scenario, you can always get your deposit back before final payment is due (at around 90 days out).

I've only cruised once before. How do you refare? Just call them? But is that before or after the 90 days window. I feel like when I asked them once before they said once you make your final payment no more adjustments can be made to the price. Like if you saw it drop in price 30 days out you were out of luck. I think the only thing that they would change if you took an upgrade offer. But I could be totally wrong, like I said I'm kind of new to the whole cruising thing. Trying to learn though;p

Are you particular about cabins, though? Rocklinmom just couldn't find availability of two interiors beside each other. If you're more flexible, it shouldn't be so much of an issue.

I don't mind as much where I have a cabin as much was do saving the money. when I went to Alaska we were in port a lot so we didn't spend much time at all in the room. I had an interior then. I think a balcony would be nice though, but not a deal breaker. With visiting 9 ports on a BI cruise I don't think I'd be there that much as well.

Yes before your final payment date you would call Princess to refare. I also recommend booking directly with them (either on the website or by phone) vs. with a TA because you wouldn't have control over your booking.

After final payment, you won't get any price reductions but you can pay to upgrade to a more expensive cabin.

I don't mind as much where I have a cabin as much was do saving the money. when I went to Alaska we were in port a lot so we didn't spend much time at all in the room. I had an interior then. I think a balcony would be nice though, but not a deal breaker. With visiting 9 ports on a BI cruise I don't think I'd be there that much as well.

We selected an interior because, yes, we were planning on spending almost all of our time off the ship when in port, and we figured it would be too cool to enjoy a balcony around northern Scotland, even in summer. Also, consider that in the summer, you're going to have very long hours of daylight (early sunrises and late sunsets), which bothers some people (including me).

And yes, if you know the travel dates you want now, you might as well book now and call for a discount later (which I did, no problem). You don't want to leave it until near/after final payment because the cruises can sell out before that. Ours sold out.

We selected an interior because, yes, we were planning on spending almost all of our time off the ship when in port, and we figured it would be too cool to enjoy a balcony around northern Scotland, even in summer. Also, consider that in the summer, you're going to have very long hours of daylight (early sunrises and late sunsets), which bothers some people (including me).

And yes, if you know the travel dates you want now, you might as well book now and call for a discount later (which I did, no problem). You don't want to leave it until near/after final payment because the cruises can sell out before that. Ours sold out.

That's a really good point about the sun and the weather. I'm a very light sleeper so the sun would bother me. I'll have to check what the temps would be in Aug on a BI cruise.

That's a really good point about the sun and the weather. I'm a very light sleeper so the sun would bother me. I'll have to check what the temps would be in Aug on a BI cruise.

Expect temperatures in the mid-60s. Great for touring. Not so great for sunbathing.

The weather in the UK is VERY changeable, so could be hot, to cool and rain. When we went o the Orkneys in August it was quite chilly, windy and raining and temperature around 13-15c.

By August the days are starting to get shorter again unless you arefar north.

For clothing it's best to take layers and a waterproof jacket with hood. Umbrellas are cumbersome for sightseeing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing the transatlantic from Dublin to Ft. L. next year on the Crown. I just returned from a long cruise, checking my 9/19 cruise, I noticed it is booking up so I wouldn't wait to book. I've been with the same TA for 15 years. I get a better price than what Princess has and also price reductions if they happen. Princess doesn't always have the best prices.

If I were you, I would gear my thoughts and plans to Dublin considering your time limits. London is wonderful, been there many times and a day or two doesn't cut it.

I'm doing the transatlantic from Dublin to Ft. L. next year on the Crown. I just returned from a long cruise, checking my 9/19 cruise, I noticed it is booking up so I wouldn't wait to book. I've been with the same TA for 15 years. I get a better price than what Princess has and also price reductions if they happen. Princess doesn't always have the best prices.

If I were you, I would gear my thoughts and plans to Dublin considering your time limits. London is wonderful, been there many times and a day or two doesn't cut it.

I know what you mean. I eel like I want to see everything, London and Dublin for me are heavy site ports that need extra time. Don't know if I'm just trying to jam too much into one vacation. At least I've narrowed it down to 2 options, but there's pros and cons to both as usual :o

-The SH Dublin July 12 2019 overnight - Pro: gives you an extra night in Dublin and gives me an extra day to see London after the cruise. Con: We would have to fly in the morning of the cruise and get on the ship the same day. There are only 8 port stops. You lose Liverpool or Kirkwall as a port. There are 2 sea days.

Other option:

July 27 2019 R/T Dublin- Pro: more time in Dublin pre/post cruise, has Liverpool, 9 ports, possible Military Tattoo from Edinburgh. 1 sea day. Con: Not much time for anything from Southampton into London. Feel like I might e leaning toward this one. Opinions?

I was also trying to decide balcony or interior. The price difference is over $2,000. More money for excursions if I went interior? Time spent in room since so port heavy? Weather might be cold. Might be nice to have the extra light. Not so claustrophobic? When is sailed to Alaska we did interior. It was a little weird not knowing if it was light outside. Thoughts?

July 27 2019 R/T Dublin- Pro: more time in Dublin pre/post cruise, has Liverpool, 9 ports, possible Military Tattoo from Edinburgh. 1 sea day. Con: Not much time for anything from Southampton into London. Feel like I might e leaning toward this one. Opinions?

Wouldn't a 27 July departure be a little early for the Tattoo, even by the time you get to Edinburgh? I know this year, it doesn't start until 3 August. Does the itinerary have the very late departure times (after midnight from either Greenock or Edinburgh) to suggest that they intend a Tattoo excursion?

I was also trying to decide balcony or interior. The price difference is over $2,000. More money for excursions if I went interior? Time spent in room since so port heavy? Weather might be cold. Might be nice to have the extra light. Not so claustrophobic? When is sailed to Alaska we did interior. It was a little weird not knowing if it was light outside. Thoughts?

We did an interior on the Lido deck and I didn't miss the balcony at all. I like it dark to sleep, and if I wanted sunshine, I just walked out and sat on a lounger by the pool (which were always available as it was hardly sunbathing weather). But balcony or interior is very much a matter of personal preference.

Trosebery is right, matter of personal preference. I sail solo, inside cabins most of the time. My TV is turned to the web cam even when I sleep. In the a.m., screen gets lighter, time to get up! :) Works for me, because I'm an early riser. When I'm in the cabin, TV is on, one channel always has time of day, weather, ship position, etc., and bridge cam is on another channel.

Wouldn't a 27 July departure be a little early for the Tattoo, even by the time you get to Edinburgh? I know this year, it doesn't start until 3 August. Does the itinerary have the very late departure times (after midnight from either Greenock or Edinburgh) to suggest that they intend a Tattoo excursion?

We did an interior on the Lido deck and I didn't miss the balcony at all. I like it dark to sleep, and if I wanted sunshine, I just walked out and sat on a lounger by the pool (which were always available as it was hardly sunbathing weather). But balcony or interior is very much a matter of personal preference.

For the July 27th date, they are supposed to be in Edinburgh Fri Aug 2 for the 7am-2am late night. I looked at the dates for next years Tattoo and they said it starts on Aug 2. Just didn't know if it's an option since I usually see it out of the Glasgow port.