Private car service in London help please:

Please give me your opinions on these companies and the quotes I received :

Transportation needed for two adults this July. (honeymoon trip/cruise I'm planning for my DS & new DIL.

Heathrow-Hotel Reubens

Hotel Reubens-Southampton

Southampton-Heathrow

Smith's = 337lbs standard car

Blackberry = 248lbs standard car

333lbs executive car

So sorry for using lbs that's all my keyboard offers.

Smiths are based in the Southampton area so would never be competitive for transfers between Heathrow and London. I sugest that you split the journeys and ask Smiths and Blackberry for quotes for the London - Southampton, and Southampton - Heathrow legs. Any number of operators will be fine for the Heathrow to London part and Blackberry are often praised on this forum.

People with no £ sign usually use GBP as an alternative.

We split the quote, as Bob suggests, and ended up using both companies -- Blackberry for the trip from Heathrow to near-London on the day we flew in, and then Smiths for the trip from near-London to Southampton on the day of the cruise. Both were very good.

Smiths are based in the Southampton area so would never be competitive for transfers between Heathrow and London. I sugest that you split the journeys and ask Smiths and Blackberry for quotes for the London - Southampton, and Southampton - Heathrow legs. Any number of operators will be fine for the Heathrow to London part and Blackberry are often praised on this forum.

People with no £ sign usually use GBP as an alternative.

Let me get this straight please.

Blackberry for Heathrow-Rubens Hotel

Blackberry for Rubens Hotel-Southampton (or Smith for this portion too ?)

Smith for Southampton-Heathrow

Is this correct or ?... Thank you for the tip to use GBP...those of us (me) from across the pond can be clueless :o

Here's hoping I gave some of you a well deserved laugh :)

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me sort this all out. Just trying to make things as easy as possible for my dear honeymooners.

Let me get this straight please.

Blackberry for Heathrow-Rubens Hotel

Blackberry for Rubens Hotel-Southampton (or Smith for this portion too ?)

Smith for Southampton-Heathrow

Is this correct or ?... Thank you for the tip to use GBP...those of us (me) from across the pond can be clueless :o

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me sort this all out. Just trying to make things as easy as possible for my dear honeymooners.

Really easy, if your trip includes Southampton use SMITHS and if not use any other company.

I can recommend Braithwates (www.braithwaiteschauffeurs.com), a car service I personally use for pick up/drop off to Heathrow, Gatwick airports and travel into central London. They are more executive/Town Car service but are efficient, friendly and professional, reasonably priced. They could certainly transport you from London to Southampton. They do have price list listed on their web site but alternatively contact them direct.

The problem is that the Cruise companies make out the Southampton and Dover; probably Liverpool as well for all I know, are part of London.

Using Smiths or Aqua for Heathrow to London would be like booking a San Francisco taxi to take you from Sacramento Airport to downtown Sacramento.

The problem is that the Cruise companies make out the Southampton and Dover; probably Liverpool as well for all I know, are part of London.

Using Smiths or Aqua for Heathrow to London would be like booking a San Francisco taxi to take you from Sacramento Airport to downtown Sacramento.

So Smiths for London to Southampton and then Southampton to Heathrow?

I'll use Blackberry from Heathrow to London hotel.

I'm so sorry I'm so confused :eek:

Thank you for the tip to use GBP...those of us (me) from across the pond can be clueless :o

In the interest of UK/US relations, I am saying absolutely nothing!!!!:D

Simon

So Smiths for London to Southampton and then Southampton to Heathrow?

I'll use Blackberry from Heathrow to London hotel.

I'm so sorry I'm so confused :eek:

Excellent -- that's what I would do, and by the way I have used both Smiths and Blackberry and they are both very good at what they do. I have a Mac computer and the "option key and the number three key" gives me the £ sign.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Kel:D

Excellent -- that's what I would do, and by the way I have used both Smiths and Blackberry and they are both very good at what they do. I have a Mac computer and the "option key and the number three key" gives me the £ sign.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Kel:D

RIGHT! You are no longer so confused.

Thank you both so very much.

What I thought was a simple question with as many details as I could give ended up being very confusing.

Now that I've got your attention...another question please...I'll make this really simply.

Tipping those private drivers...if so an example please.

Again many thanks.

What I thought was a simple question with as many details as I could give ended up being very confusing.

Now that I've got your attention...another question please...I'll make this really simply.

Again many thanks.

It most instances a fiver (£5) will do. If they have been exceptional and gone out of their way to do something, a tenner.

Simon

It most instances a fiver (£5) will do. If they have been exceptional and gone out of their way to do something, a tenner.

Simon

Thank you so much for the "tip" ;)

Again many thanks.

My American self wanted to give them an extra 20%, but I know that's a bit much for the lay of the land, so I compromised at 15%. Made us both happy.;) They did help with the luggage and provide us with interesting stories along the route. Silly Yanks!

My American self wanted to give them an extra 20%, but I know that's a bit much for the lay of the land, so I compromised at 15%. Made us both happy.;) They did help with the luggage and provide us with interesting stories along the route. Silly Yanks!

Again...many thanks from this sillier yank who posted using lbs instead of GPB :o:eek::D

Well I thought I had this all figured out with your help which company to use and where.

However now I've read on the Celebrity board different opinions...Some are posting to use Smith from Heathrow to London hotel :confused::confused:

Well I thought I had this all figured out with your help which company to use and where.

However now I've read on the Celebrity board different opinions...Some are posting to use Smith from Heathrow to London hotel :confused::confused:

I would take the advice here over what others may suggest. And look for John Bull on these boards, he'll give you the best info! He's commented on many of the other threads in this section, and always has great info for transportation.

We used Smith's from Heathrow to Southampton. Our driver actually lived in Portsmouth. So he did a late night run and then picked us up around 6 a.m. after we landed. On our drive, we talked a lot and said we were planning to go see the maritime museum in Southampton. However, he suggested it wouldn't be all that much. And since he was going straight home after he dropped us at our hotel, he offered to take us to Portsmouth instead after dropping our luggage at the hotel. We spent several hours there, saw the historical maritime area (Mary Rose, etc...), was way better! And he didn't charge us any extra. Now, we did give him a nice tip for that!

I would take the advice here over what others may suggest. And look for John Bull on these boards, he'll give you the best info! He's commented on many of the other threads in this section, and always has great info for transportation.

We used Smith's from Heathrow to Southampton. Our driver actually lived in Portsmouth. So he did a late night run and then picked us up around 6 a.m. after we landed. On our drive, we talked a lot and said we were planning to go see the maritime museum in Southampton. However, he suggested it wouldn't be all that much. And since he was going straight home after he dropped us at our hotel, he offered to take us to Portsmouth instead after dropping our luggage at the hotel. We spent several hours there, saw the historical maritime area (Mary Rose, etc...), was way better! And he didn't charge us any extra. Now, we did give him a nice tip for that!

I was actually hoping John Bull would add his opinion...so far..not yet. "Are you out there John?"

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me.

However now I've read on the Celebrity board different opinions...Some are posting to use Smith from Heathrow to London hotel
But we all know that there's a lot of rubbish posted all over these boards by people who don't know what they're talking about. Not every opinion is equally valid, and some are truly worth nothing.

John Bull's advice on Smiths for this sort of trip has been absolutely consistent throughout, and he's in a position to know. Moreover, you don't have to search hard to find it.

John Bull’s point is that Smiths are based in Portsmouth/Southampton area and not the London area. Therefore to do a transfer between Heathrow and London would involve them in considerable time and petrol costs on top of the actual transfer. They would therefore be likely to charge considerably more than a London based firm.

If still in doubt, just get quotes from both Smiths and London firms like Blackberry and Addison Lee and compare the prices yourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Celebrity board is mostly American, while the information you get here is mostly from locals. I say again; would you call a Boston taxi operator to take you from NY to JFK?

On tipping, I have no doubt that taxi drivers love Americans who over-tip. They make a reasonable living on the fares alone, so tips are the icing on their cake. The usual is to round up to some whole number of pounds, but if they go the extra mile; help with the luggage and provide interesting stories , then an extra five or so is fair.

John Bull’s point is that Smiths are based in Portsmouth/Southampton area and not the London area. Therefore to do a transfer between Heathrow and London would involve them in considerable time and petrol costs on top of the actual transfer. They would therefore be likely to charge considerably more than a London based firm.

If still in doubt, just get quotes from both Smiths and London firms like Blackberry and Addison Lee and compare the prices yourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Celebrity board is mostly American, while the information you get here is mostly from locals. I say again; would you call a Boston taxi operator to take you from NY to JFK?

On tipping, I have no doubt that taxi drivers love Americans who over-tip. They make a reasonable living on the fares alone, so tips are the icing on their cake. The usual is to round up to some whole number of pounds, but if they go the extra mile; help with the luggage and provide interesting stories , then an extra five or so is fair.

Thank you all so much...I have no doubt that you are the experts...No more confusion on my part.

I appreciate all the input and time taken to post your advice...it will definitely be used to go ahead and make the transportation bookings for my beloved honeymooners. :*

Whoops....Sorry Globaliser your quote wasn't included in my post...but you are certainly included in my thank you's.