Amsterdam Tram to Metro Fare Question

We arrive Amsterdam and know to take tram #26 to Central Station and Metro #51 to Westwijk to meet up with friends. If we pay fare on tram is it good for the metro transfer also or is additional fare required for the metro ride? Thank you!

You are aware trams etc. in Amsterdam are now cashless? So you need to use a machine, but you can pay with creditcard (with PIN) . Your single ticket will be valid in tram and metro, and is valid for 1 hour.

Sorry t hijack the thread

Ine

if you have the tram pass do you still need to swipe getting on & OFF ??

Thank you

Yes you do.

Will this be your only travel within Amsterdam? You can get a non personalized ov chipkaart in central station, go to the left when you enter, all the way down is a counter where you can purchase one. The fare is almost half with the chipkaart. If not, you can pay cash on the tram and they will give you a paper ticket for the full price. Just make sure to tap it when you exit or you will not be able to use it for the remainder of the time allotted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will this be your only travel within Amsterdam? You can get a non personalized ov chipkaart in central station, go to the left when you enter, all the way down is a counter where you can purchase one. The fare is almost half with the chipkaart. If not, you can pay cash on the tram and they will give you a paper ticket for the full price. Just make sure to tap it when you exit or you will not be able to use it for the remainder of the time allotted.

I donot agree with you. Apart from the costs of E. 7.50 per person one also has pay the fare, which is a bit reduced but certainly not half price. One needs to make some rides before that 7.50 makes it interesting. Only persons over 65 with a Personal OV card get more reduction. However those personal cards need to be arranged before traveling as it also needs a photo. If somebody travels only some single rides and not every day single tickets are as good. If more often even a daycard is often more interesting.

More about OV cards here: https://en.gvb.nl/reizen/de-ov-chipkaart

• 1 month later...

We plan on purchasing 3 day GVB tickets in Amsterdam but will not be able to purchase them at the airport. We are from the U.S. and have a chip and sign credit card but not a chip and pin. We are staying at the Marriott and would appreciate information on where and how we will be able to purchase this ticket. Does the ticket specify a start date or can we buy it anytime and it starts with the first ride?

We will be there for 3 days before boarding our ship. We are leaning toward the 3 day REGIONAL Travel card that will include our train ride from the airport, our train ride to and from Zaanse Schans, and all necessary tram rides while we are there. It sure would be easy, but probably more than we need.

Our credit cards do not have a 4 digit pin, so from what I have read, will not work for single tram rides.

Ine, We do have debit bank cards with a 4 digit pin, so wondering if that would work to buy a tram ticket as needed. If we could use that, we may just pay as we go.

We will be there for 3 days before boarding our ship. We are leaning toward the 3 day REGIONAL Travel card that will include our train ride from the airport, our train ride to and from Zaanse Schans, and all necessary tram rides while we are there. It sure would be easy, but probably more than we need.

Our credit cards do not have a 4 digit pin, so from what I have read, will not work for single tram rides.

Can your CC issue you a 4 digit pin?

Or hit an ATM & use the Debit card get enough Euro to cover the cost of tickets

When we were there last some shops sold the passes so no need to use the auto machines

not sure if this is still the case

you can check the CVB site

https://en.gvb.nl/tickets

We plan on purchasing 3 day GVB tickets in Amsterdam but will not be able to purchase them at the airport. We are from the U.S. and have a chip and sign credit card but not a chip and pin. We are staying at the Marriott and would appreciate information on where and how we will be able to purchase this ticket. Does the ticket specify a start date or can we buy it anytime and it starts with the first ride?

We have the same type of credit cards.... chip and sign. I called the CC company but they do not issue chip and pin cards yet. Fortunately for us, we are arriving by plane, so my understanding is that we can buy our Travel Ticket or GVB ticket at the airport using our credit card.

We have a bank debit card with a 4 digit pin that we have used in the past when traveling in Europe to obtain money from ATM. We are wondering if we can use that instead of a credit card when it calls for a 4 digit pin? Has anyone tried that?

I called my credit card issuer and they sent me a four digit PIN. I also informed them of our dates of travel and the countries we'll be in.

That's great. Would solve all issues!! We have a Delta Skymiles Amex and a Capitol One Venture card, neither would give us a pin number when I called.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the museum card for Amsterdam and it includes the round trip ticket from Airport to Amsterdam and back. I am staying in Amsterdam for 3 days and my hotel is near the Amstel station.

My question is, is it worth buying the all in one Amsterdam Travel ticket which covers 3 days of unlimited use of the trams and round trip to airport.

I already have the round trip covered all I need is the ride around Amsterdam and from hotel near Amstel station to Amsterdam.

Somebody told me its cheaper to buy the 2.50 one way train since Amsterdam is walkable that I don't need to use the train that much. 3 days is 26.00 Euro unlimited

I bought the museum card for Amsterdam and it includes the round trip ticket from Airport to Amsterdam and back. I am staying in Amsterdam for 3 days and my hotel is near the Amstel station.

My question is, is it worth buying the all in one Amsterdam Travel ticket which covers 3 days of unlimited use of the trams and round trip to airport.

I already have the round trip covered all I need is the ride around Amsterdam and from hotel near Amstel station to Amsterdam.

Somebody told me its cheaper to buy the 2.50 one way train since Amsterdam is walkable that I don't need to use the train that much. 3 days is 26.00 Euro unlimited

It all depends where you want to go or do and how much you like walking. If it is a single ride yes buy tickets each time. If you use tram or bus about 4 times a day or more buy a day or multi dayticket ticket for bus and trams, more here: https://en.gvb.nl/gvb-dag-meerdagenkaart

Be aware again trams are cashless, so you need a creditcard or bankcard that works if you buy single tickets. From Amstel station to the centre is 2 zones. http://maps.gvb.nl/en/zones

It all depends where you want to go or do and how much you like walking. If it is a single ride yes buy tickets each time. If you use tram or bus about 4 times a day or more buy a day or multi dayticket ticket for bus and trams, more here: https://en.gvb.nl/gvb-dag-meerdagenkaart

Be aware again trams are cashless, so you need a creditcard or bankcard that works if you buy single tickets. From Amstel station to the centre is 2 zones. http://maps.gvb.nl/en/zones

Thank you for the info. Some members of my group bought the I Amsterdam Card and their pass includes all GVB. Does it cover the Amstel station to the center or do they need to purchase tram tickets to connect to the center.

I did see on the web site that the trams are cashless. Can you use chip and pin credit and/or debit cards on the tram?

Thank you for the info. Some members of my group bought the I Amsterdam Card and their pass includes all GVB. Does it cover the Amstel station to the center or do they need to purchase tram tickets to connect to the center.

If it includes all GVB transportation yes trams and buses are included

I did see on the web site that the trams are cashless. Can you use chip and pin credit and/or debit cards on the tram?

Yes you can. It is also possible to buy tickets at some machines at stops or even in some shops.

https://en.gvb.nl/klantenservice/tickets-info-balie

http://maps.gvb.nl/en/lagen?show=85

Yes you can.

Just want to confirm this please. You are saying that I can use a debit or credit card (with chip & pin technology) for a single trip on a bus or tram? I don't need to purchase a ticket from a ticket machine or office before boarding?

Just want to confirm this please. You are saying that I can use a debit or credit card (with chip & pin technology) for a single trip on a bus or tram? I don't need to purchase a ticket from a ticket machine or office before boarding?

I would think a debit card from here would not work usually you cannot use them at POS out of the Country

You can use in the ATM's though

I would confirm with your bank

We love to walk, but depending on weather etc, we may be using the trams for the 3 days we are there. We too are trying to decide if we should just bite the bullet and buy the 3 day GVB card at €17.50 or buy the rides as needed. If it's as easy as just using our CC on the tram when we need to, that would be the way to go, as we may not need the tram much.

From the GVB Amsterdam public website:

Starting on Monday 26 March, in addition to tram 26, all other tram routes will become cashless. As of this date, all of our public transport vehicles are "cashless" and it will no longer be possible to use cash to buy a ticket.

Buy your ticket with your OV-chipkaart or PIN payment card

Of course, traveling with an OV-chipkaart is the easiest. When you have this card, you can always pay for a ticket and pay using a credit card or PIN payment card. This is possible using your PIN code or contactless.

You can pay using one of the following cards: V-pay, Maestro, VISA, Mastercard, JCB, Diners Club, and Union Pay.