What to do at Oralando if our flight get in at 5:30 AM on the day of the cruise?

screenname2004

It is nearly 60 miles from MCO to Port Canaveral, over an hour drive easily without heavy traffic. Both times I've cruised from Canaveral I stayed at a hotel (driving from Tampa) that had a "cruise" package (including a decent breakfast, shuttle to the port, and could leave my car parked there without having to worry).

A taxi from MCO to Canaveral could cost you a fortune. A google search will show shuttle companies, I have not used any in this area however I have used Super Shuttle (supershuttle.com) in the Tampa area and had a great experience.

Which ship? This is important because there r restaurants next to terminal 1 meaning you can walk back and forth. Otherwise you need transport.

About transport from the airport. What r your plans? The cheaper shared shuttles do not run that early so you have to Uber or private transfer OR just have breakfast at the airport then shuttle to the port later which may be the easiest and cheapest option.

Shuttle companies drop you at the terminals and perhaps hotels but not restaurants!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just chill for a couple of hours at the airport. Grab breakfast as able. Not a bit deal. Around 8:30 or so you can start heading towards the port.

I don't know Orlando Airport well, but the only issue I can see is restaurants are usually in the secure area, but you will leave that area to get your bags and can't get back in.

There may be options outside of the secure area, but I'm not sure. Possibly grab a few wrapped items when still in the secure terminal before going to baggage claim? Worth looking in to. Could also just bring a few breakfast bars in your carryon.

Look at renting a car and driving to Port Canaveral. Once you figure out HOW you're getting the 1+ hour away to the port, then figure out where you care to eat. Google Maps works well to figure out how many toll roads you need exact change or SunPass for; this helps you figure out if you want to take a Cortrans shuttle for $20 each to the Port Canaveral terminal. Here again, pull up the Google Map of MCO and see if you care to eat in the terminal.

:) Done this info gather a few times, as you can tell. Port Canaveral is a bit more research work than FLL or Miami.

local speaking here

MCO to the port is more like 45 minutes under normal circumstances and an easy drive ... virtually a straight shot. Exit airport and get on 528 east. 528 ends at the big signs saying which ship is at which terminal. Two tolls ... today's prices one $1 and one $1.50. Cash accepted, quarters allows use of exact change lanes which can save time; or use rental company's electronic toll payment option and save more time yet.(be careful you use the proper lane for your payment choice. Cash lanes look like an exit to the right!)

MCO has a large central food court outside of security with plenty of breakfast options. Or proceed to the port and you'll find several close by and on the main roads including McD's, Grills (water side and serving breakfast) and Zachary's (typical family diner)

rental car affords some flexibility in a side trip for necessities or breakfast. Shuttle can be less $, no worry about getting lost, no time spent p/up and return the car; but no side trips

Seems like a no-brainer then if they have a nice central food court. It's just 2 - 3 hours to burn. That's like waiting for a connection. Just hang out, grab some food, read the news on your phone or whatever, then head to the port to arrive around 9:30 - 10AM. I couldn't imagine a rental car being worth the hassle but others may.

I generally vote against renting a car on cruise mornings unless there are specific reasons such as last-minute shopping.

Eating at the airport is not super convenient either. You have to go down to baggage claim on level 2 then slog your bags back up to level 3 for food then back down to level 1 for transport.

We need.a bit more info from the OP before advising further.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for all the replies. Another option we have is to fly in on Thursday with miles to spend couple of days before our cruise. Because of different miles require, we may have to fly to FLL instead of MCO. Spend a night at FLL and drive up on Friday monring.

I know you did not ask but I would advise flying in the day of the cruise.

Should there be a major delay or a cancellation of the flight you miss the ship? A flight this early means you board the ship a bit tired and if your luggage goes astray there is very little time to recover it.

I would go in a day early.

Keith

not sure but I THINK you missed a word here Keith .....

or you've changed teams .....

rest of the post says you missed a word ......

Should there be a major delay or a cancellation of the flight you miss the ship? A flight this early means you board the ship a bit tired and if your luggage goes astray there is very little time to recover it.

I would go in a day early.

Keith

My mistake. Thank you Captain BJ.

I should have said that I would advise NOT flying in the day.

I say this because too many things can go wrong and you run the risk of missing the ship.

Keith