Ten Newbie Questions

BeachTunes

Hello! (Ia ora na!)

As per my recent posts, we are thrilled to have booked our first Paul Gauguin cruise! I warned that I would likely have a lot of questions so here's the first round. :D Most of these aren't pivotal to our enjoyment of the ship but rather are simply fuelled by my overexcited curiosity. One of the things that I love about Cruise Critic is that it helps bide the time until vacation. :cool:

1. Dinner Menus: On a 7 night PG cruise, do the menus in La Veranda and Le Grill change mid-cruise the way they do for longer voyages?

2. Tahiti Tours: Has anyone heard anything about this company in Tahiti that does full day island tours including visiting the waterfalls: Ia Ora Na Tahiti Expeditions? They get rave reviews and appear to have some amazing, authentically Polynesian experiences should we decide to go the Tahiti vs Moorea route pre-cruise.

3. Lectures: Does PG play the expert lectures on stateroom TVs? Crystal does this and we love it. We are usually too busy in port or enjoying the pool deck to be inside while cruising so having the lectures on TV gives us some enrichment while we get ready for dinner. (Not a big deal either way. Just curious.)

4. ATN Fleet: How much of a difference are the old style vs the 787s? Are the old style seats and in-seat entertainment as horrible as I have read they are? I ask because if we book the flights I have in mind, it looks like we'll be on an old plane going to Tahiti from LAX and could book a "new" plane on the return leaving at 11:59pm vs the 11pm PPT to LAX flight. We'll load up our iPads with movies just in case. Would you pay much more to be on a newer plane?

5. ATN Priority Fee: I read there is an optional "priority fee" of about $60 USD on ATN that gives travellers early boarding and priority baggage access. This means our bags would be among the first off the plane in PPT. Worth it or rip off? I would imagine if we book the hotel on our own, it may be worth it but if we book our hotel stay with PG, we'll be loaded on a bus anyway. (Again, I'm really getting into ridiculous detail here. I promise I'm not bonkers! LOL!)

6. Travel to Canada from PPT via LAX: A question for Canadians traveling home from PPT via LAX... Did you have to retrieve your checked baggage and go through Customs/Immigration in LA? Since we're foreigners in transit I feel like we wouldn't have to but I'm rusty on the rules. My TA can advise but it's great hearing from those who have done it.

7. Bora Bora Tours: We definitely want to book Patrick's Snorkelling, Lagoon and Polynesian Feast in Bora Bora. Would it be redundant to book the Pure Snorkelling tour the next day? We definitely want to see PG's Motu as well!

8. Redeye vs Evening Arrival: We'll likely be on the evening arrival flight but I'm curious to hear everyone's preferences on going with the redeye flight vs the afternoon flight from LA. This wouldn't be on embarkation day but would include a pre-cruise 2 or 3 night island stay.

9. Crystal vs PG? We adored our two Crystal cruises and know this will be a different experience. We sense we will love the Paul Gauguin and its crew. We realize it's like comparing apples to oranges... I believe Emdee frequents both lines. We'd love to hear any input on the differences between the two lines (other than the obvious ship size and dress code) so we can manage our expectations accordingly.

10. Dress Code: The infamous Cruise Critic dress code question! ;p We are some of the rare remaining humanoids who actually enjoy getting dressed for dinner up on cruises. I have a small collection of sparkly heels that I love to wear while cruising. Too much? Would my husband's lightweight seersucker jacket be too formal on this ship? Don't get me wrong, we love tropical attire too, so it's all good either way.

Again, some of these are extremely petty questions that won't make our break our experience. I just love pre-cruise planning! I promise to post our experience, pictures and pointers upon our return! Thank you!

1. No

2. Most take Patrick's (Tahiti) inland valley tour.

4. 340-300 = 2-4-2, 787 = 3-3-3. Been told the seats are more comfy on the 787

7. Do both, they are very much different

8. I prefer red-eye

9. Never done Crystal but from what I've gleaned from what others have said over the years the crew on the PG is second to none.

10. Depending on the dinner venue .... it can be very humid on deck 8 in Le Grille .... tropical shirt and 100% light cotton pants / shirt are the ticket. La Veranda is typically a bit more dressy.

Hi, can't answer most of these, but will comment on a couple of items:

Hello! (Ia ora na!)

As per my recent posts, we are thrilled to have booked our first Paul Gauguin cruise! I warned that I would likely have a lot of questions so here's the first round. :D Most of these aren't pivotal to our enjoyment of the ship but rather are simply fuelled by my overexcited curiosity. One of the things that I love about Cruise Critic is that it helps bide the time until vacation. :cool:

6. Travel to Canada from PPT via LAX: A question for Canadians traveling home from PPT via LAX... Did you have to retrieve your checked baggage and go through Customs/Immigration in LA? Since we're foreigners in transit I feel like we wouldn't have to but I'm rusty on the rules. My TA can advise but it's great hearing from those who have done it.

8. Redeye vs Evening Arrival: We'll likely be on the evening arrival flight but I'm curious to hear everyone's preferences on going with the redeye flight vs the afternoon flight from LA. This wouldn't be on embarkation day but would include a pre-cruise 2 or 3 night island stay.

10. Dress Code: The infamous Cruise Critic dress code question! ;p We are some of the rare remaining humanoids who actually enjoy getting dressed for dinner up on cruises. I have a small collection of sparkly heels that I love to wear while cruising. Too much? Would my husband's lightweight seersucker jacket be too formal on this ship? Don't get me wrong, we love tropical attire too, so it's all good either way.

Again, some of these are extremely petty questions that won't make our break our experience. I just love pre-cruise planning! I promise to post our experience, pictures and pointers upon our return! Thank you!

6. You clear American customs & immigration in Toronto, so you arrive as a domestic traveller in LAX. We only flew straight through once, and I frankly can't remember whether our luggage got checked through. I think so, but couldn't swear to it--call Air Canada or whatever carrier you're taking. You do have to change terminals, but it's fairly easy to get around LAX--it's built like a horseshoe, with Tom Bradley International terminal at the base of the 'U'.

8. Always good to avoid a red-eye, but you can't get to Moorea that day if you do arrive in the afternoon or evening. Ferries stop at sundown, i.e. about 6 p.m., so an overnight stay in Tahiti somewhere is mandatory before going to Moorea. When you arrive in the morning, you're in time for one of several early ferry runs and would arrive at any hotel early, usually too early to get a room, which is another disadvantage. But they will take your luggage for you, and you can loll around the beach or go into town if you're in Papeete, or drive around Moorea if you have a car. Think about your flight back as well--a morning flight out of PPT means one of two things--an overnight in LAX or a red-eye flight to Toronto--we usually choose the former.

10. A lightweight sports jacket would be fine, no problem Sparkly heels? No problem. It's been a long time since I saw someone wearing a long formal dress on this ship, but cocktail attire is appropriate, although you may find yourself getting more and more casual as the cruise progresses.

No question is petty, and yes, planning is almost the best part!

Oh, and as far as Crystal comparisons go, I have no idea, but the Paul Gauguin is a very, very special ship. Unique. For us, it wins over the Regent ships we have been on despite the small cabins; we're about to try Seabourn so we'll see, but the combination of the best staff at sea, lovely food, great service, gobsmacking destinations make for a stellar experience. And I even love those tiny, perfect cabins; they are very well laid-out.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We are on Moorea now having arrived yesterday morning on the red eye. While it is a long day from NY it gives us almost one full extra day in paradise. We have 5 nights precruise. Much better for us vs an oversight on Tahiti.

Absolutely no reason to pay extra to ATN for any expedited treatment. Bags come off by the time you clear immigration. From the red eye we landed at 5:30 and with the ATM stop at the airport we were in a taxi at 6:05 A.M. to the ferry. At the ferry at 6:20 which is quite early for the 7:20 ferry.

We are on Moorea now having arrived yesterday morning on the red eye. While it is a long day from NY it gives us almost one full extra day in paradise. We have 5 nights precruise. Much better for us vs an oversight on Tahiti.

Absolutely no reason to pay extra to ATN for any expedited treatment. Bags come off by the time you clear immigration. From the red eye we landed at 5:30 and with the ATM stop at the airport we were in a taxi at 6:05 A.M. to the ferry. At the ferry at 6:20 which is quite early for the 7:20 ferry.

Oh you lucky guys! I'm so jealous. I agree about Papeete customs & immigration--your bags are the least of your worries. Last time we arrived in the early a.m. at the same time as the ATN flight (we were on AF), and you can imagine, everyone lined up together took forever! We still made the ferry at about 8 a.m. as I remember (just missed the earlier one.)

Enjoy and tell us all about it!

Yes, tease us with some pictures or what your doing :)

Hi Eric,

Drew and I are packed and fly out tomorrow....see you aboard the ship next Wednesday, July 18! We are so excited to be going for the first time!

:) Lisa

#5 If you are using PG air package, it would be a waste since you would have to wait for the last passengers to clear customs and pick up their luggage anyway. The whole process goes fairly quickly. It would give you time to use atm in airport for cash. Also, your seats are assigned so what benefit would you acquire except maybe a more leisurely boarding process. There is plenty of overhead space for all on board.

Don't stress, you will have a wonderful cruise experience. Try to attend the on board lectures since they add so much to your cruise experience.

Lisa ....

Give us some post as you end your days .... keeps are engines running until our next trip :)

Will do TBK! I will start a separate thread with this....thanks so much for your advice...everyone is so helpful! 😃

Thank you so much TBK, Wendy and Eric. I appreciate everyone's expertise. December can't come soon enough!

Happy travels to Eric, Lisa and everyone else who is sailing this week!

Thanks BeachTunes! We are boarding the ship tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon! Just spent a very relaxing first day in Papeete! 😃

Crystal vs PG

Been on 13 PG and on 5 Crystal with three more booked.

Love both for different reasons.

The food no comparison with Crystal. Crystal everyday is like La Veranda specialty. Crystal wins hands down.

Included wines and liquors Crystal wins.

PG vibe is very warm and welcoming.Crystal more formal though once you get to know the staff things are different. PG makes me the breadfruit chips I love, Crystal maitre Albert brought my DD a jackfruit and DH chillies for his brekkie! Both lines are service oriented.

Both ships lines are older but Crystal has a swankier vibe. I feel the PG love very strongly so the vibe doesnt matter.

PG excursions are tried and tested. They win hands down over Crystal IMO.

Crystal is a fabulous product and I am always excited to go on a Crystal cruise. But a PG cruise makes me feel I am coming home. Yes, we always get the welcome back on Crystal but it is the welcome home on the PG that makes my eyes tear up. The staff have truly become our PG family.

I have said this before and it is worth repeating...PG brings the spirit of FP on to the ship with local entertainment and the Polynesian hosts and hostesses. IMO there is no other way to cruise FP other than on the PG.

Lucky you going in December...we wont be on until 2021.

Thank you very much Emdee! I believe we will have the same love of the Paul Gauguin as you do once we've experienced it! :)

It really does get into your blood. So beware of the PG flu!