Best Luau in Maui or Kauai????

ALW2

A quick look around the board will find dozens of threads on luaus, including some key definitions of types of luaus. That is particularly important, as two of the commonly mentioned "best", are found in Lahaina. They are of two different types.

The other key point there is where you are coming ashore. If you are on Pride of America, you are close to an hour from Lahaina. If you are tendering to Lahaina, you can walk (one is a more healthy walk) to the two locations.

I love the old Lahaina luau on Maui

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would you know if this luau is close to the Kahului port? Also, I'm sure it's on another thread and I'm still searching but do you know if there is a nice beach close to this port. We are on the Carnival Splendor this December and were thinking of doing a beach day and luau in Maui.

Thanks for any information you have.

Old Lahaina and the Feast at Lele are both great and from the same company. OLL is more traditional, at least to the extent that any commercial luau can be said to be traditional. If I booked either, I would book as an excursion through the cruise line. Yes it will be more expensive, but you are at least guaranteed to not miss the ship.

If Carnival only offers Drums of the Pacific, don't worry it is fine. The degree of difference between OLL and Drums of the Pacific is negligible.

My vote would be for the Smith Family Laua in Kauai. While the entertainment at the Old Lahaina Laua is somewhat better than the show at Smith’s Laua the food at Smith’s Laua was far better than what was served at the OLL the two times I attended OLL. The pull pork was especially a great treat. We booked the Smith Laua through Roberts Tour and they sent a large bus to the port to take us, there were about 90 cruisers from the Pride of America, to the Smith’s Laua.

My vote would be for the Smith Family Laua in Kauai. While the entertainment at the Old Lahaina Laua is somewhat better than the show at Smith’s Laua the food at Smith’s Laua was far better than what was served at the OLL the two times I attended OLL. The pull pork was especially a great treat. We booked the Smith Laua through Roberts Tour and they sent a large bus to the port to take us, there were about 90 cruisers from the Pride of America, to the Smith’s Laua.

Please keep in mind that Smith's Luau is Polynesian (from around the Pacific) and Old Lahaina Luau is Hawaiian. There are cultural differences between the two, so you are not comparing the same type of luaus. Each has its own entertainment and food styles.

As a side note, luau food is local and informal, to say the least, and some of it an acquired taste. It is something to be tried once though.

Please keep in mind that Smith's Luau is Polynesian (from around the Pacific) and Old Lahaina Luau is Hawaiian. There are cultural differences between the two, so you are not comparing the same type of luaus.

Sorry, that is just not so. The OLL opens with a song in Tahitian and then moves to a Tahitian dance segment or two.

For the OP and others, you can probably find full versions of the entertainment online at YouTube.

Sorry, that is just not so. The OLL opens with a song in Tahitian and then moves to a Tahitian dance segment or two.

We can only offer the following quote from Trip Advisor:

"Old Lahaina Luau takes great pride in presenting an authentic Hawaiian Luau. An evening of traditional Hawaiian cuisine, music, cultural dances and demonstrations. Guests will appreciate a genuine reflection of Hawaii's rich history while enjoying an ocean view and sunset."

We can only offer the following quote from Trip Advisor:

"Old Lahaina Luau takes great pride in presenting an authentic Hawaiian Luau. An evening of traditional Hawaiian cuisine, music, cultural dances and demonstrations. Guests will appreciate a genuine reflection of Hawaii's rich history while enjoying an ocean view and sunset."

That quote is directly from the OLL’s 2018 fact sheet & it’s only been Hawaiian performances whenever we’ve gone there.

https://www.oldlahainaluau.com/media/attachments/2018_OLL_FACT_SHEET_6_page.pdf

The Feast at Lele has Polynesian entertainment & food from Tahiti, Samoa, Maori & Hawaiian.

That quote is directly from the OLL’s 2018 fact sheet...

Thank you for finding the original source of the quote. We had seen it mentioned several times and thought it was from Trip Advisor's overview of OLL. In thinking about it, the Tahitian opening of the show is probably a gentle nod to the people of Tahiti and the Marquesas who came here by canoe and settled Hawaii.

Last year, while in Maui for a week, we went to the Luau at the Grand Wailea Hotel (we were staying there). Of three I've been to, it was the best for food and entertainment. BUT, not sure if it will work time-wise. Need to be careful about getting back to ship on time.