[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:05 PM.
Sydney, Australia
196 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by goldengatecruisers
Thank you for all the wonderful information in this thread. I posted this comment on a Noordam thread but realized that I should have posted here first . I have friends booking Noordam out of Sydney on an upcoming itinerary and they asked if I knew about the interiors on Noordam. Forgive me if this question is redundant but I have not been able to find the information within these pages. Does Noordam have newer interiors with refreshed suite color schemes and soft furnishings upgrades or is she still sporting the older color palette for her Neptune Suites. Our friends are planning to book a Neptune wrap-around (one of my fav locations on that class of ship) and we have not sailed on Noordam before so I am at a loss. The photos on the HAL website would indicate the old color scheme and furnishings but I am not sure how up-to-date the website photos are in relation to how the ship presents today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ashley
We have just got off Noordam from a Neptune suite (on 22/10). Neptune suites are in the old colour palette. The ship is in excellent condition and I did not see anywhere that was tired. It is scheduled for update in May 2018 and I expect the colour change will happen then. Glenn and Yvonne, the concierges in the Neptune lounge, provide top service.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bentleg - email: [email protected]
Holland America - 2002->>>> - NZ, Pacific Islands, Mediterranean, Baltic, Alaska, West Coast US, Panama Canal, Hong Kong-Sydney, Seattle-Sydney x 2, Dover-Iceland-Greenland-New York-Quebec City, Valparaiso-Rio, Ft Lauderdale-Sydney, Hong Kong-Japan-Alaska-Vancouver-
Sun Princess - March 2010 - Japan
Carnival Spirit - September 2015 - Singapore-Sydney
Diamond Princess - Feb 2016 - NZ
Golden Princess - Tianjin-Sydney - October 2016
Carnival Spirit - Tasmania - January 2017
Celebrity Solstice - NZ - Christmas 2017
Noordam - November 2018 - Sydney-Port Lincoln-Sydney
Majestic Princess - March/April 2019 Sydney- Hong Kong
Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,964 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by What was that?
Mike,

Could you please repost the ships list as a pdf?

Thanks,
Wwt
I keep it on my iPhone as a PDF; but don’t believe it can be attached as a PDF on CC. It should be easy enough for you to just grab a screen capture as a PDF.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
For Cruise Reviews and Pictures, visit our website at www.thepreismans.com
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:
HAL Zaandam - January 2018 - Antarctica/South America
Celebrity Constellation - April 2018 - Arabian Sea & Suez Canal
Celebrity Edge - January 2019 - Eastern Caribbean
Oceania Marina - September 2019 - Amsterdam to Lisbon

Sydney, Australia
196 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by MVPinBoynton
I keep it on my iPhone as a PDF; but don’t believe it can be attached as a PDF on CC. It should be easy enough for you to just grab a screen capture as a PDF.
Please post your PDF somewhere (Google, Yahoo, Skydrive etc) and then post a link to that site here and everyone will be happy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bentleg - email: [email protected]
Holland America - 2002->>>> - NZ, Pacific Islands, Mediterranean, Baltic, Alaska, West Coast US, Panama Canal, Hong Kong-Sydney, Seattle-Sydney x 2, Dover-Iceland-Greenland-New York-Quebec City, Valparaiso-Rio, Ft Lauderdale-Sydney, Hong Kong-Japan-Alaska-Vancouver-
Sun Princess - March 2010 - Japan
Carnival Spirit - September 2015 - Singapore-Sydney
Diamond Princess - Feb 2016 - NZ
Golden Princess - Tianjin-Sydney - October 2016
Carnival Spirit - Tasmania - January 2017
Celebrity Solstice - NZ - Christmas 2017
Noordam - November 2018 - Sydney-Port Lincoln-Sydney
Majestic Princess - March/April 2019 Sydney- Hong Kong
Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,964 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by Bentleg
Please post your PDF somewhere (Google, Yahoo, Skydrive etc) and then post a link to that site here and everyone will be happy.

Here is a Dropbox link. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xeeaaa5ui3...class.pdf?dl=0
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:

Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,964 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by fredflint
here it is attached
Thanks for attaching the PDF properly. I will have to figure out how to do it that way the next time update the file.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:

Maui, Hawaii
18 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by dougnewmanatsea
One of the most common questions we get on these boards, particularly from new members, is about the different "classes" of HAL ships - the Vista-class, S-class, and so on. Naturally, everyone wants to know which ships are in each class, and what the differences are.

With that in mind, I decided to post this "sticky" post explaining the different "classes". I hope this clarifies the situation.

Now, let's meet the different HAL ships, starting with the smallest and oldest:

PRINSENDAM

PRINSENDAM - Built 1988 - 37,983 Gross Tons - 793 passengers

The smallest and oldest HAL ship, she is in a class by herself. She generally does the longest and most expensive cruises. She is the only HAL ship not built for the line, she was built in 1988 as the ROYAL VIKING SUN, became SEABOURN SUN in 2000 and then PRINSENDAM in 2002. Among things that separate her from the rest of the HAL ships - she does not have a two-deck dining room or main lounge, an indoor/outdoor pool, or dedicated children's facilities. Her smaller, more intimate size and off-the-beaten path itineraries are appreciated by her increasingly loyal following.

S-class

STATENDAM - 1993 - 55,810 GT - 1,251 pax
MAASDAM - 1993 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax
RYNDAM - 1994 - 55,819 GT - 1,251 pax
VEENDAM - 1996 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax

These four ships are the "backbone" of the HAL fleet. They are virtually identical except for color schemes and artwork. They were the first new HAL cruise ships to have features like the atrium, the two-deck high dining room and main lounge, and the indoor/outdoor Lido pool. These very versatile ships have done everything from 7-day Caribbean and Alaska cruises to full World Cruises. Recently they have been upgraded with features like the Pinnacle Grill alternative restaurant and the Neptune Lounge concierge lounge (for suite passengers).

R-class

ROTTERDAM - 1997 - 59,652 GT - 1,316 pax
VOLENDAM - 1998 - 60,906 GT - 1,440 pax
ZAANDAM - 1999 - 61,396 GT - 1,440 pax
AMSTERDAM - 2000 - 61,484 GT - 1,380 pax

The R-class ships are very similar to the S-class, but a bit longer and wider. Unlike the S-class, they are not all identical. The first of the four was ROTTERDAM. Specially designed for longer cruises, she is the fastest ship in the fleet. She also introduced new features like an alternative restaurant, concierge lounge, and Internet Cafe (all since retrofitted to the older ships as well). VOLENDAM and ZAANDAM followed; they are similar to ROTTERDAM but slower (the same speed as the S-class ships) and are a bit larger because the aft pool was moved up one deck, creating more indoor space on the deck below. Unlike ROTTERDAM, they were designed for yeoman duty in the Caribbean and Alaska though they also are suitable for longer cruises. Like the S-class ships, only decor separates these twins. The final R-class ship, like AMSTERDAM, like a hybrid of ROTTERDAM and VOLENDAM/ZAANDAM. She is faster than VOLENDAM or ZAANDAM but not as fast as ROTTERDAM. Like ROTTERDAM, she was built specially for longer voyages. ROTTERDAM and AMSTERDAM, together, are considered HAL's "flagships" and along with PRINSENDAM they usually do the longest and most prestigious cruises - the World Cruise along with the various Grand Voyages.

Vista-class

ZUIDERDAM - 2002 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax
OOSTERDAM - 2003 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax
WESTERDAM - 2004 - 81,811 GT - 1,848 pax
NOORDAM - 2006 - 82,318 GT - 1,918 pax

These are the biggest and newest HAL ships currently in service. They were designed mainly for shorter (less than two weeks) cruises in the Caribbean, Alaska, and Europe. Like the S-class, they represented a departure from previous HAL ships in size and design. While bigger than HAL's other ships, they are still much smaller than some competitors' ships which are now sometimes bigger than 150,000 GT and can carry over 3,500 passengers (Royal Caribbean have now ordered a ship that will be 220,000 GT and carry over 5,000 passengers). These ships are notable because of the exceptionally high number of private balconies - over two-thirds of cabins have them. They are called the Vista-class because they are named after the points of the compass in Dutch - Zuid (South), Oost (East), West, and Noord (North). The first three are identical; NOORDAM incorporates a few design changes which make her larger and have a slightly higher passenger capacity.

Signature-class

This will be two (or more) ships which will be larger, improved versions of the Vista-class, much as the R-class can be considered improved versions of the S-class. Right now there are few details but they will probably be about 90,000 GT with a passenger capacity of about 2,000.
Would love to have this post updated to include the Konigsdam and any other new ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aloha, ~Marty-Jean
Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,964 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by DancingCats
Would love to have this post updated to include the Konigsdam and any other new ships.
I did that in post 254.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:

Maui, Hawaii
18 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by MVPinBoynton
I have really appreciated the information in the first post of this thread. I have only done one HAL cruise in the past, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I now have two more HAL cruises in the near future, so I updated the basic schedule for myself to keep the ships straight. I have to refer back to it regularly, since the names are easily confused, at least by me. Perhaps after I have cruised on each one, I won't have that problem anymore. I thought that others new to HAL might appreciate seeing my schedule. Enjoy!

Thanks for the summary!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aloha, ~Marty-Jean
Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,964 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by DancingCats
Thanks for the summary!
You are most welcome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:

58 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by Nancyquilts
I've always considered Prinsendam to be in a class by herself. Nancy

I'm just curious as to why? What makes her so different? Isn't the age of the ship starting to show?
San Francisco, CA
1,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by Copper10-8
...As faith would have it, Premier Cruise Line ran into financial difficulties. On 13 September, 2000 during a northbound New England/Canada cruise, her captain was ordered to return his ship to Halifax, Nova Scotia. After off-loading her passengers, the ss Rembrandt was placed under arrest. As a special condition of her warrants, she was allowed to depart for Freeport, the Bahamas where she arrived on 30 December 2000 and was laid-up pending sale. Premier Cruise Lines filed for bankruptcy and went out of business.

We were aboard when she was arrested. I recall, standing in line in Halifax for the tender back to the ship, saying "Halifax was a delightful town, we should come back some time!" Little did we know that time would be early the following AM after the bankruptcy announcement. I was still happy that we had a few days aboard such a magnificent ship, with the unchanged decor showing the pride of the nation in their flagship from the era.

I'm told she is being well cared for in her new life as a conference center.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Mark Katzenberger

UpcomingQueen Mary 2 - NY, Halifax, Boston - 2019, Golden Princess- Pacific Repo - 2019,
Queen Mary 2 - RT N Atlantic crossing - 2018, Eurodam - Pacific repo - 2018, Queen Mary 2 - RT crossing + Bruges - 2017,
Queen Mary 2
- N Atlantic crossing - 2016, Celebrity Infinity - S. America - 2015, Star Princess - Pacific repo - 2015,
AMACello
- Rhine - 2013, Norwegian Spirit - W Caribbean - 2011, Crystal Serenity - E Med - 2010,
Queen Mary 2
- Canada - 2009, Eurodam - Baltics - 2009, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2008,
Queen Elizabeth 2
- W Med - 2008, Amsterdam - Alaska - 2007, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean - 2007,
Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 2005, Star Princess - Mexico - 2002, Carnival Spirit - Pacific repo - 2001,
Norwegian Majesty
- S Caribbean - 2001, Rembrandt - Canada - 2000, Seabourn Sun - SF cruise to nowhere - 2000,
Queen Elizabeth 2
- N Atlantic crossing - 1999, Zenith - Bermuda - 1998, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Panama Canal - 1997,
Celebrity Century - W Caribbean - 1996, Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 1993, Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific repo - 1993,
Crown Princess
- E Caribbean - 1991, Westerdam - Mexico repo - 1990, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Hawaii - 1989,
Cunard Princess - Pacific repo - 1987
Whitby Ontario
123 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by dougnewmanatsea
One of the most common questions we get on these boards, particularly from new members, is about the different "classes" of HAL ships - the Vista-class, S-class, and so on. Naturally, everyone wants to know which ships are in each class, and what the differences are.

With that in mind, I decided to post this "sticky" post explaining the different "classes". I hope this clarifies the situation.

Now, let's meet the different HAL ships, starting with the smallest and oldest:

PRINSENDAM

PRINSENDAM - Built 1988 - 37,983 Gross Tons - 793 passengers

The smallest and oldest HAL ship, she is in a class by herself. She generally does the longest and most expensive cruises. She is the only HAL ship not built for the line, she was built in 1988 as the ROYAL VIKING SUN, became SEABOURN SUN in 2000 and then PRINSENDAM in 2002. Among things that separate her from the rest of the HAL ships - she does not have a two-deck dining room or main lounge, an indoor/outdoor pool, or dedicated children's facilities. Her smaller, more intimate size and off-the-beaten path itineraries are appreciated by her increasingly loyal following.

S-class

STATENDAM - 1993 - 55,810 GT - 1,251 pax
MAASDAM - 1993 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax
RYNDAM - 1994 - 55,819 GT - 1,251 pax
VEENDAM - 1996 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax

These four ships are the "backbone" of the HAL fleet. They are virtually identical except for color schemes and artwork. They were the first new HAL cruise ships to have features like the atrium, the two-deck high dining room and main lounge, and the indoor/outdoor Lido pool. These very versatile ships have done everything from 7-day Caribbean and Alaska cruises to full World Cruises. Recently they have been upgraded with features like the Pinnacle Grill alternative restaurant and the Neptune Lounge concierge lounge (for suite passengers).

R-class

ROTTERDAM - 1997 - 59,652 GT - 1,316 pax
VOLENDAM - 1998 - 60,906 GT - 1,440 pax
ZAANDAM - 1999 - 61,396 GT - 1,440 pax
AMSTERDAM - 2000 - 61,484 GT - 1,380 pax

The R-class ships are very similar to the S-class, but a bit longer and wider. Unlike the S-class, they are not all identical. The first of the four was ROTTERDAM. Specially designed for longer cruises, she is the fastest ship in the fleet. She also introduced new features like an alternative restaurant, concierge lounge, and Internet Cafe (all since retrofitted to the older ships as well). VOLENDAM and ZAANDAM followed; they are similar to ROTTERDAM but slower (the same speed as the S-class ships) and are a bit larger because the aft pool was moved up one deck, creating more indoor space on the deck below. Unlike ROTTERDAM, they were designed for yeoman duty in the Caribbean and Alaska though they also are suitable for longer cruises. Like the S-class ships, only decor separates these twins. The final R-class ship, like AMSTERDAM, like a hybrid of ROTTERDAM and VOLENDAM/ZAANDAM. She is faster than VOLENDAM or ZAANDAM but not as fast as ROTTERDAM. Like ROTTERDAM, she was built specially for longer voyages. ROTTERDAM and AMSTERDAM, together, are considered HAL's "flagships" and along with PRINSENDAM they usually do the longest and most prestigious cruises - the World Cruise along with the various Grand Voyages.

Vista-class

ZUIDERDAM - 2002 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax
OOSTERDAM - 2003 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax
WESTERDAM - 2004 - 81,811 GT - 1,848 pax
NOORDAM - 2006 - 82,318 GT - 1,918 pax

These are the biggest and newest HAL ships currently in service. They were designed mainly for shorter (less than two weeks) cruises in the Caribbean, Alaska, and Europe. Like the S-class, they represented a departure from previous HAL ships in size and design. While bigger than HAL's other ships, they are still much smaller than some competitors' ships which are now sometimes bigger than 150,000 GT and can carry over 3,500 passengers (Royal Caribbean have now ordered a ship that will be 220,000 GT and carry over 5,000 passengers). These ships are notable because of the exceptionally high number of private balconies - over two-thirds of cabins have them. They are called the Vista-class because they are named after the points of the compass in Dutch - Zuid (South), Oost (East), West, and Noord (North). The first three are identical; NOORDAM incorporates a few design changes which make her larger and have a slightly higher passenger capacity.

Signature-class

This will be two (or more) ships which will be larger, improved versions of the Vista-class, much as the R-class can be considered improved versions of the S-class. Right now there are few details but they will probably be about 90,000 GT with a passenger capacity of about 2,000.

Thank you for this! I am considering my options for a highschool grad vacation with my daughter in Nov 2019. I have been on 8 Celebrity cruises, 1 Royal Caribbean, and 1 Norwegian (which was a last min. change as our Celebrity cruise was changed d/t engine repairs). I found NCL and RCCL to really nickel and dime (NLC's drink pkg does not include bottled water!). We love Celebrity as it just feels different- attentive staff who seem to love their jobs, perhaps this is due to their 1:2 staff to guest ratio?
And we are big foodies- love the AquaClass where we eat in the Blu dining room with no set dining time. Not really into night life- I'm a morning person, so up at 6:30 sitting on the balcony enjoying a chai tea, and love snorkelling and in the ocean, as opposed to land tours, and we always book excursions off the ship- much better and with less people.

My question is, given all of this info, do people recommend I try HA? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Caroline from Toronto, Canada.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Sailings:

Past Sailings:
2017 April 29 Norwegian Escape
2017 April 15 Celebrity Summit -cancelled due to mechanical and electrical issues
2016 Celebrity Summit (Surprised my wife with Aquaclass, now there's no going back...lol)
2015 RCCL Quantum of the Seas
2014 Celebrity Equinox
2013 Celebrity Summit
2011 Celebrity Millennium
2010 Celebrity Equinox
1999 Celebrity Galaxy Ultimate Carribean (1st Anniversary)
1998 Celebrity Mercury Western Carribean (Honeymoon)
20 Posts
Joined May 2010
Love this thread! MDH and I have 13 Celebrity cruises under our belt and due to recent experiences decided that whether it was our tastes changing, or Celebrity's vibe changing, it was time to try something new. After a three year hiatus from cruising we have booked our first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for February 3, 2019 in cabin 7106. It has been too long! We are taking my 80 yo mother and her cousin, they'll be in the cabin next door (7110). We are very excited about the music venues and the specialty dining. My mother and husband are very excited about "high tea". We are running out to a work event in a sticky hot and humid afternoon (I'll close my eyes and dream of being on the high seas) but I did have a question for the experienced crowd here. I need reassurance that the aft cabins we booked were a good choice. I want cabins above and below for sound management and I wanted a balcony that my 6'2" husband could sit on without hugging his knees. I read in one of the threads on CC that the midship verandas are very shallow (4' deep) and decided to go for aft on the navigation deck to get a standard balcony depth. Thoughts? Experience with these cabins or similar? Thanks for any input offered. Happy cruising!