Maui suggestions

TeanneTX

We are going to be in Maui from a cruise on 10/13. We are renting a car and going with another couple. We have been to Maui before-spent a whole week there seeing all the major sights. Our friends have never been to Hawaii at all. We will have about 7 hrs to tour on our own. We're not into shopping though. So can you give me an idea of what the top things are to see during our limited time there. We love beautiful scenery but I don't think we will have enough time to see the Road to Hana. We are tendering at Lahaini and picking the car up at the airport or that general area. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Teanne

No, you won't have time for the Road to Hana...and it's simply not the best way to spend limited time. I would pick up a guidebook for your friends, and let them read it and see the things that might interest them!

We are going to be in Maui from a cruise on 10/13. We are renting a car and going with another couple. We have been to Maui before-spent a whole week there seeing all the major sights. Our friends have never been to Hawaii at all. We will have about 7 hrs to tour on our own. We're not into shopping though. So can you give me an idea of what the top things are to see during our limited time there. We love beautiful scenery but I don't think we will have enough time to see the Road to Hana. We are tendering at Lahaini and picking the car up at the airport or that general area. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Teanne

You didn't state it but can I figure you will be in Lahaina on Explorer as that appears to be the only cruise ship in Maui on October 13th. I would have suggested something like O'o farms, or Maui Winery or Makawao but you could end up spending a lot of your time driving so you probably want to stay on the the west side.

You might consider the Maui Dragon Fruit Farm, it has activities such as aquaball and zip line along with delicious dragon fruit. The Maui Ocean Center aquarium is good with plenty of sealife.

If you did decide to venture a little east there is the Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum. Or Paia is doable in a day, a fun little wind surfing town with eclectic shops and some good places to eat such as Mama's Fish House or Paia Fish Market,.

Having only 7 hours to tour doesn't leave enough time to comfortably drive to the most scenic parts of the Road to Hana. I've posted information on this forum to caution about traffic delays in West Maui which includes Lahaina. Also information about the road around the northern end being closed for construction from July to February during the day except on weekends & holidays.

What are the top things to do during your short visit can mean different things to different people. Haleakala would be an option if wanting to view barren volcanic scenery. A drive along the coast to South Maui has many developed & undeveloped beaches and past Makena is an area from the most recent lava flow in the late 1700s. Lahaina is an historic old whaling town that at one time was the capital of the Hawaiian Monarchy.

You have the option to either see many things from your car or what I think is better fewer things out of the car.

The Hawaii Visitors Bureau's website is a good resource for all of you to check to decide what are your top things to do.

www.gohawaii.com

Edited by Astro Flyer

We have been to Maui before-spent a whole week there seeing all the major sights.

Since you spent a week here, which places stand out in your minds as memorable? Think of it as you being tour guide. If your friends have specific interests, you can cater to that - but if they don't then make a list of places you might like to see again and share your favorites with them.

With only seven hours I don't know that I would stray far from Lahaina. If you are getting the car at Kapalua Airport, maybe run down to Wailea for lunch at the Four Seasons or Fairmont and then back to Lahaina to see it.

If I did anything on the other side of the island it would be to go Upcountry like Kula and Pukalani.

Maui Ocean Center is a nice alternative to some of the more touristy attractions on the island - a well-done aquarium featuring tropical sea life.

http://mauioceancenter.com/

We enjoy the up island area around Kula - the roadside market, viewpoints, and the tropical gardens of the winery up the road from Kula.

A third idea is the Bailey House Museum, an early haole home and church. The museum occasionally offers concerts by local Hawaiian musicians. We attended a concert on the lawn.

https://www.mauimuseum.org/

When we visit Maui we enjoy finding special places away from the busier tourist areas. Enjoy planning your day on Maui. :)

• 2 weeks later...
If you haven't yet been to Kaanapali, there's a lovely pedestrian walkway that runs along the west coast that is worth doing.

The Halekala Volcano trip is also interesting but I'm not sure if you would have enough time to drive there and back.

http://mauihawaii.ca/kaanapali/kaanapalibeachresort.html

There's also a wonderful oceanfront from walkway in Wailea which is about 1.5 miles end to end.

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2009/12/28/taking_stroll_Wailea_Coastal_Walk_Maui

http://waileaekahivillage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/WaileaBeachWalkMap.jpg

Maui Ocean Center is a nice alternative to some of the more touristy attractions on the island - a well-done aquarium featuring tropical sea life.

http://mauioceancenter.com/

We enjoy the up island area around Kula - the roadside market, viewpoints, and the tropical gardens of the winery up the road from Kula.

A third idea is the Bailey House Museum, an early haole home and church. The museum occasionally offers concerts by local Hawaiian musicians. We attended a concert on the lawn.

https://www.mauimuseum.org/

When we visit Maui we enjoy finding special places away from the busier tourist areas. Enjoy planning your day on Maui. :)

Can you tell me how you got to the island aread around Kula....sounds perfect for us.