Booking Sanctuary on Royal Princess?

msw.delafield

Has anyone recently booked Sanctuary on Royal Princess?

We’re on a 10-day in a couple weeks and was hoping fellow CC members that have traveled on her in October/November might have input on the current Sanctuary reservation process?

Thanks in advance!

I can relate our most recent experience on the Emerald last month. Gone were the days of waiting in line each morning for an individual day, or half-day. Upon boarding, we went to the Sanctuary and selected an half day in the afternoon, for the sea-day of our choice. So much nicer than the old process. Hopefully it will be the same on the Royal.

We did the Royal Oct 11 and Oct 31. We booked the sanctuary for the entire cruise both times.

If you want it for the entire cruise then it is important to board early and go up to the sanctuary before you do anything else. Our routine is the sanctuary, retreat bar outside of the sanctuary to buy the AIBP's, then the cabin to drop off the bags before heading to the MDR for lunch.

Princess opens gates at 11:00 and boarding normally starts at 11;30, if there are no unexpected delays. Both cruises we were on board the Royal by 11:36.

Edited by Todd320

Thank you to those that have responded, but let me clarify my question -

I've read other threads here on CC from Royal cruisers that Royal has required you make a call to the Sanctuary once on board to pre-book your Sanctuary reservation BEFORE 'showing up' in person to actually transact your reservation.

I'd rather not just run up there at embarkation, only to be told that I must go find a phone somewhere to make this pre-call to complete the reservation process.

So, my most specific question is;

Do they continue to require this pre-call on Royal, or is more similar to other ships where you make the mad dash to secure a reservation.

This is what I'm hoping a most recent Royal cruiser might be able to answer.

Recognizing that time is of the essence in assuring Sanctuary space, am just hoping to avoid any snag or delay once on board.

Thank you

No phone call in the procedure, just present a body for booking.

The B2B cruisers can book starting at 8:30 so they will take some slots.

It's a crazy procedure but DW and I make a game of it and split up to see who gets there first.

On the Royal there are only 6 sets of forward facing chairs on the front line. Four sets of two chairs and two double chairs. I spend the majority of the time in the gazebo so we like the double chair, giving DW double the space.

Edited by Todd320

I agree with Todd320 - just go to the reception desk.

BTW, the Sanctuary reception is on the Starboard side, if that saves you five seconds. Take the FWD elevators up to 17 and exit starboard side door or center door into Retreat Pool area and walk fwd to Sanctuary entrance.

And in case anyone posts from Regal, we sailed Regal Nov 3rd and Nov 8th (B2B). There were a LOT of B2Ber's from the NY re-positioning cruise prior to Nov 3rd that had nabbed almost all loungers. I was not counting on Sanctuary for the 5-nighter beginning Nov 3rd because we added that cruise on to our original plans and also flew in DAY OF (not at all my normal). Thing was, boarding was well delayed, partly due to first arrival in PE, but also many new crew members and so forth.

Anyway, managed to get on board not too far behind a lot of folks and got up to Sanctuary pretty quickly.

Things is this - staff and mgr were saying no advance reservations for future days - only come morning of and BTW, we are going to sell out ALL rest of chairs for full week. So, no inventory split between full week and individual days.

I felt this was wrong and questioned the staff about it. That evening I spoke to the MD (for anyone who doesn't know, the Sanctuary operation reports to the MD). He was quite surprised and dismayed because incorrect policy was being applied. I cannot say for how long, but I can say that effective the next day, policy was corrected.

REGAL should be operating as reported in above posts - and it did after that. You can book individual days or part days at beginning of cruise - as well as full cruise. I can say that for the 7-nighter beginning Nov 8th, folks were coming up right away from the ELITES & SUITES boarding and snapping up chairs. Our friends who boarded that day (PLATINUM) made it up in time. It was not long before the only availability was Port Days.

Of course, if you decide to book a chair later in cruise on a whim, you will probably not be able to do it for a Sea Day.

No phone call in the procedure, just present a body for booking.

The B2B cruisers can book starting at 8:30 so they will take some slots.

It's a crazy procedure but DW and I make a game of it and split up to see who gets there first.

On the Royal there are only 6 sets of forward facing chairs on the front line. Four sets of two chairs and two double chairs. I spend the majority of the time in the gazebo so we like the double chair, giving DW double the space.

Those front line chairs don't get much breeze, but can get some added shade from the gazebo structure, depending on time of day and angles. I did use the gazebo at times.

It's unfortunate, IMO, that most of the side chairs on port & starboard can be fairly sunny and the overhead shading doesn't always help much.

I think the cabanas take up a lot of real estate for the amount they actually get used (big bucks there).

Also, the Spa massage rooms in the very front corners (port and starboard) take up a huge amount of deck space - way more than on Emerald, Ruby, CB, Crown. Except one day, they were not fully used from my observation.

I preferred the rear wall area, off corner from the gazebo for maximum shading and much better breeze for comfort. It can get hot up there as the forward glass wall has no slats for air - unlike the other ships. More sun and less shade zones on Royal/Regal.

Still, very peaceful and quiet.

We did find a favorite alternate spot on Regal when not in Sanctuary. Deck 17 starboard (or aft, depending on the sun), just behind the MUTS screen, under cover of Deck 18. Not the same loungers, but relatively quiet with a great view of the ocean passing by.

Edited by steelers36

• 1 year later...
Hi we are On Caribbean princess in December 17 we are in a vista suite can I pre book the sanctuary?

Sorry no you can’t. To book go to the Sanctuary as soon as you get on the ship.

It’s crazy but that’s the way it’s done.:eek:

Tony

Sorry no you can’t. To book go to the Sanctuary as soon as you get on the ship.

It’s crazy but that’s the way it’s done.:eek:

Tony

If you are on B2B they will let you book 2-days prior to the end of the first cruise. At least that was my experience on the Regal and even tho I was there and first in line other names were in front of mine already on the list. This is really one area of loyality Princess could do a better job with. We are Elite and were staying in the Penthouse Suite and somehow... there appears to be a another option I could not determine even with the assistance of the Concierge on board.

If you are on B2B they will let you book 2-days prior to the end of the first cruise. At least that was my experience on the Regal and even tho I was there and first in line other names were in front of mine already on the list. This is really one area of loyality Princess could do a better job with. We are Elite and were staying in the Penthouse Suite and somehow... there appears to be a another option I could not determine even with the assistance of the Concierge on board.

I have seen it the day prior (not 2), but it doesn't matter much when it is allowed as B2B cruisers are back on board ahead of all new passengers, so even if they were required to wait to book a chair until the start of the new cruise, they will still be first in line ahead of Suites & Elites boarding.

I always have a concern and fret over whether I can get space due to unknown number of B2Ber's and Suites & Elites who get there before me to book chairs. It has worked out pretty well for the most part, but I always think it will be about as difficult as getting good seats to a high-demand rock concert on Ticketmaster website.