Europa 2 - Smoking

sandbag7

Floridiana,

I don't know if you like classical music, but it is one of the themes on the Europa 2's cruise from Auckland to Bali which is I presume the one you will be on.

Listed to appear is the soprano Sylvia Schwartz:

Here with Bryn Terfel:

Edited by English Voyager

Thank you English Voyager. My husband is a connoisseur, he will probably appreciate the music more than I do. The soprano is really good!

I am a bit disappointed with the lectures because they don't look like they are itinerary connected. Lets hope for the best.

Floridiana,

On each of my cruises on the Europa 2 there has been a dedicated port lecturer, so I would be very surprised if there is not one for your cruise.

The presentations are at separate times in German and English.

When I was the only English speaking passenger on board the presentations were still given.

A port lecturer? That would be great. The language doesn't matter. Bilingual family.

With itinerary connected, I meant talks about the history, geography, botany, wildlife, economy, politics of the area. I must confess that I remember lots of boring talks on these topics on other lines. Some of the best were by local speakers with a wealth of knowledge that they were able to present well and in an entertaining manner.

Edited by Floridiana

• 4 weeks later...
I have just come back to this thread. My husband and I will soon cruise on the Europa 2 out of Auckland. We are not allergic to smoke but would find it annoying if somebody on a next door balcony smoked constantly. Hopefully this will not happen. We have cruised on many different lines including Oceania, Ponant, Aranui, and Mein Schiff. They all have something positive going for them.

We now hope that the Europa 2 justifies the price of the cruise. ;)

Positive so far: They have set up a table in the Auckland Sky Tower for passengers to check in with luggage if they wish and just in case the ship did not get the Queen's Wharf berth. They have a bus taking passengers to the pier, Queen's Wharf or anywhere else. They also did the Australian ETA for us.

Floridiana, if you are back from your cruise and rested, we would love to hear about your experience, either as a formal CC review or here on the forum, the good and the bad. Unfortunately though CC has redesigned its website, for unclear reasons, HL still does not have its own forum.

Edited by Catlover54
typo

• 2 weeks later...

We have just come back from our b2b Europa 2 cruise: Auckland - Bali - Hong Kong.

Smoking is permitted on all balconies, at the pool bar, at the Sansibar Bar, on the outside of the Yachtclub eatery and in the Herrenzimmer which reeks of smoke but has a solid door to the outside." Luckily few passengers smoked. When our balcony neighbor smoked once, we were loudly shocked. She only did it once more. We are not allergic to smoke (just don't like it), but if someone is seriously allergic to smoke, this is not the ship for them.

I'll start writing a review.

When we were on Europa 2 a couple of years ago smoking outside the Yacht Club was permitted on one side only (port, I think), though it did take us a few days to realise this. Is that still the case? We are travelling again in three weeks' time and would expect to eat outside fairly regularly and preferably without cigarette smoke.

When we were on Europa 2 a couple of years ago smoking outside the Yacht Club was permitted on one side only (port, I think), though it did take us a few days to realise this. Is that still the case? We are travelling again in three weeks' time and would expect to eat outside fairly regularly and preferably without cigarette smoke.

It is the port side.

The following is the relevant section from Hapag-Lloyd Cruises A-Z booklet:

' Smoking

All the restaurants are non-smoking restaurants with the exception of the terrace of our Yacht Club Restaurant, where smoking and non-smoking tables are clearly labelled. The theatre, the Belvedere, the Foyer and the Jazzclub, as well as the entire SPA area are also non-smoking areas. Smoking is permitted on the outer terrace of the Sansibar, while the indoor area of the Sansibar is a non-smoking zone. Cigars, cigarillos and pipes may only be smoked in the Herrenzimmer (also during the day) and in the outside area of the Sansibar. Please note that smoking is not permitted in the suites. Smoking is permitted on the veranda. On the Pool Deck under the magrodome, smoking is only permitted in the immediate vicinity of the Pool Bar. All external decks are smoking zones. Smokers are obliged to exclusively use the ashtrays provided.

When the EUROPA 2 is refuelling, smoking is strictly forbidden on all external decks and verandas due to safety reasons. Please pay attention to the announcements made over the loudspeakers in this case.'

Have an enjoyable cruise.

So few people smoked on the terrace that it did not take away from the enjoyment of eating outside. Smokers were considerate enough to retreat to the smoker's corner at the pool bar, to the Herrenzimmer (which was empty most of the time) or somewhere else where I never went, maybe Sansibar.

We really liked Sansibar, as it is the only spot on the ship approaching a lounge/bar. I believe they allowed smoking outside, where we always sat, but I don't recall seeing anyone smoking. My husband is quite sensitive to smoke; I am not, and as a past smoker have no firm opinion about smoking.

We really liked Sansibar, as it is the only spot on the ship approaching a lounge/bar. I believe they allowed smoking outside, where we always sat, but I don't recall seeing anyone smoking. My husband is quite sensitive to smoke; I am not, and as a past smoker have no firm opinion about smoking.

Edited by mpfund
duplicate

• 3 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of Europa 2.

On the issue of smoking however I want to emphasize this ship is truly European.

(The other European issue of note is comfort with nudity in general and in mixed company in the spa and spa sun deck - no judgement just fair warning).

While we were able to make alternate arrangements for our comfort well inside the Yacht Club buffet to avoid it, on our last cruise there were several tables of heavy smokers who had standing tables (due to their high level cabins) just outside the indoor area (it is all open air) and the smoke was significant in the way it permeated the dining area near the outdoor deck.

While technically the smoking area is port side and outdoors, these tables were so central and just outside that they may as well have been in the dining room itself.

As an avowed second hand smoke hater, this issue is not preventing me from returning to the ship as the other positives outweigh other similar options.

Just wanted to make sure people understand the amount of smoking will vary per cruise, can be heavy, but also can be avoided for the most part.

that "nudity" is more something ranging from Germany , East Europe and Russia

-also very heavy people wearing extremely small bathsuits.

So being part of Benelux you don't wish to be lumped in with the comfortably nude crowd. Duly noted ;)

I do admire the self confidence of the involved parties!