what is buffet etiquette in this situation

luckyinpa

if there's a station with 5 entrees on it, but you want the last one. do you just cut between 2 people that are at the end (waiting for someone to be scooping item 4 so there's a break in line) or wait in the big long line to get past the other 4 entrees to get to number 5?

does your answer change depending on what is being served at the station?

does your answer change depending on how long the line is?

I wait for a break and go directly to item 5. That makes the line much more efficient. If I had waited at the beginning in the line, that just holds everyone up more. Win-win.

I agree, I go for the item I want. If someone else is getting the same item, I wait for them to finish. If it's a popular item that looks like many are waiting for I wait my turn.

If everyone went single file like in grade school cafeteria and waited thru item 1-4 to get to item 5, the line would be out to the pool and very inefficient.

I just quietly announce I am going for the item at the end, wait a second, then move. Rarely if ever have a problem (occasionally a glare or sharp look)

I rarely encounter a long or slow moving line. But when I do, I do it the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only Princess ship (left) with a buffet LINE would be the Pacific (being that the only place we encountered that was the Ocean). You go to what you want, being respectful of people who are at that item already.

i'm a virgin to princess so if there are no buffet lines it would be fantastic! on the Breakaway it was sometime tortuous. even at what i considered non peak times.

a good buffet with no lines would very well sway me toward returning to the line.

I have found that the lineup protocol peters out after the first turn where the entrees begin, and any gap is fair game. Between the entrance and that point you might receive some looks if it appears you want to break into the line. There is one display case that is hard to get to because of this, but I seldom want anything from that section.

We don't use the buffet anymore, it's more like a slop trough with all the hands coming and going scooping food out and the people are usually pretty rude, the last time was a few weeks ago when in 19 days we went once and we both came down with some kind of sickness for 24-36 hrs., lets just say the toilet was very busy, so that's that no more plain and simple.

i'm a virgin to princess so if there are no buffet lines it would be fantastic! on the Breakaway it was sometime tortuous. even at what i considered non peak times.

a good buffet with no lines would very well sway me toward returning to the line.

The buffet on the Regal & Royal seldom have long lineups.

The Horizon Court is huge and stations are very well distributed.

Also, there's lots of seating.

The buffet on the Regal & Royal seldom have long lineups.

The Horizon Court is huge and stations are very well distributed.

Also, there's lots of seating.

is 1st night at the buffet more/less crowded than normal

i'm assuming MDR mytime would be nightmare

is 1st night at the buffet more/less crowded than normal

i'm assuming MDR mytime would be nightmare

The HC on the Regal is a well oiled machine you really don't feel crowded, MTD you might have to wait a couple minutes for if a table if you don't want dine with others. But I have to say they do a great job.

The HC on the ships before the royal class are made up of two islands, 3 sections along the back wall and four sections along the other three walls so there really isn't any "line" through as such. The royal class is even more broken up as to food display. Like several on here, I first survey what is being offered and then return to pick the items that appeal to me. I wait for a break in front of the food item I want and then move in to get it when it is accessible. I have never had a problem.

The idea of "buffet sharks" is quite humorous.

Assuming someone isn’t reaching for the tongs in front of you. You may step in. I will say if I’m there getting food and someone tries to swipe in I have thrown a bow or two [emoji23] kidding! I have said excuse me and continued reaching for the tongs very politely. But quickly. If I can avoid peak hours at the squat and gobble I will do my best to do just that.

Assuming someone isn’t reaching for the tongs in front of you. You may step in. I will say if I’m there getting food and someone tries to swipe in I have thrown a bow or two [emoji23] kidding! I have said excuse me and continued reaching for the tongs very politely. But quickly. If I can avoid peak hours at the squat and gobble I will do my best to do just that.

Love this thread! "Squat and Gobble" along with "Buffet Sharks." I'll never think of the buffet the same way again.

If everyone queuing up to eat at the buffet the line would extend out the door.

Grab what you want and move along.

Some people are so slow that there's always a break in the line to squeeze in. ;)

Now see here ya Tacoma love king! I'm getting an uneasy feelling you would cut to the front of the line at a bank.