Hiking / Exploring: Grand Turk VS Amber Cove

iamchrisstone

The kids and I are sailing on the Sunshine December 17-23 with stops in Nassau, Grand Turk and Amber Cove.

After talking it over, we'd like to take one of the ports to go hiking or exploring. Especially if there is a beautiful waterfall or some exotic section of the area that we can safely get to by walking or a short cab ride or something. I read somewhere that Grand Turk has wild goats and donkeys just walking around.

So, what are some of your opinions or thoughts? Has anyone experienced these settings? I don't want to pay for a high excursion just to walk. I'd like a safe way that the kids and I can experience one of these places at our own pace.

Thanks CC!

Grand Turk is very flat, very few trees, thanks to a few recent hurricanes. The only place I can think of that you might hike is past the old salt flats. Nothing scenic there though.

It's a beach/snorkel/water day, not an explore day.

I haven't been to Amber Cove yet, but I did a horseback ride in Grand Turk. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride on the beach & in the water, but the ride from the port through the salt flats to the beach was just plain boring. I did stop to taste some salt, but it's just not very scenic.