Can we be kinder?

kc58ab

I've read through some of these threads over the last week about the child that had the tragic fall. I had refrained from commenting on this horrific, heart-wrenching accident but can we all not be kinder to this mother? Even if she were to blame (not saying she is), can we not grieve with her? Can we not imagine she would do anything to go back and change it if she could?

I'm saddened to read all the judgmental posts about her mother. Why wasn't she....why didn't she...

I cannot image anything that could be worse than losing a child.

I have a niece who's 9. She's in advanced classes in school, very bright. Also very stubborn and doesn't have fear of much of anything. She is also on medication for hyperactivity. I could see her doing something like this. Of course knowing this if I were to take her on a cruise I would be extra cautious. But as a parent I know from having a very active son that things can happen very quickly. I have always been an overprotective parent, but I'm not perfect. Neither is anyone else. I'm sure this mother will spend a lifetime grieving and feeling guilt over this. We don't need to judge her.

As for leashes I used one with my son when he was little. I got many comments from people giving their unwanted opinion on how horrible it was then. But until you have a child that is very active and no fear you really don't understand. I can't count how many times I got that at Disney World when he was three. As for that working on an eight-year-old I doubt it... After that trip he figured out that if he ran forward and dropped to the ground it would unhook the leash to the backpack.

What we can take from this tragedy is to discuss safety issues with children before cruising. Explain risks like this even with children you may assume would know better.

Long story short let us all be kind towards other parents especially when they're going through a tragedy like this. May God comfort her family.[emoji174]

I've read through some of these threads over the last week about the child that had the tragic fall. I had refrained from commenting on this horrific, heart-wrenching accident but can we all not be kinder to this mother? Even if she were to blame (not saying she is), can we not grieve with her? Can we not imagine she would do anything to go back and change it if she could?

I'm saddened to read all the judgmental posts about her mother. Why wasn't she....why didn't she...

I cannot image anything that could be worse than losing a child.

I have a niece who's 9. She's in advanced classes in school, very bright. Also very stubborn and doesn't have fear of much of anything. She is also on medication for hyperactivity. I could see her doing something like this. Of course knowing this if I were to take her on a cruise I would be extra cautious. But as a parent I know from having a very active son that things can happen very quickly. I have always been an overprotective parent, but I'm not perfect. Neither is anyone else. I'm sure this mother will spend a lifetime grieving and feeling guilt over this. We don't need to judge her.

As for leashes I used one with my son when he was little. I got many comments from people giving their unwanted opinion on how horrible it was then. But until you have a child that is very active and no fear you really don't understand. I can't count how many times I got that at Disney World when he was three. As for that working on an eight-year-old I doubt it... After that trip he figured out that if he ran forward and dropped to the ground it would unhook the leash to the backpack.

What we can take from this tragedy is to discuss safety issues with children before cruising. Explain risks like this even with children you may assume would know better.

Long story short let us all be kind towards other parents especially when they're going through a tragedy like this. May God comfort her family.[emoji174]

I agree. Enough said. I'm sure others will say otherwise, but just wanted to offer my support for your comments. Have a blessed day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. My aunt lost her 17-year old daughter in a car accident. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for her other child she wouldn't have survived that. Thankfully it sounds like this mother has another child so hopefully that will give her the strength.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

I think this is a message for every single poster on here for every single thread. I thought people who cruise like to have fun...and fun to me includes being kind to people. There are some posters out here who seem to wait at their keyboard to deliver harsh comments to others. I personally don't like that. I even reached out to the admins about that and was told everyone has different "personalities". To me being mean to others is not a personality.

Thank you KC for saying what needs to be said!

Totally agree with all the OP's points. People should not judge. Children can do amazing things so fast that even the most attentive parent, even if only an arms length away, could not stop the child every single time. Pretty sure an 8 year old girl or boy could hoist themselves up on a high rail in seconds, hoping to balance and look below. If that child were to misjudge and use too much of their strength, they could easily topple over the slippery rail. Leash an 8 year old? Probably would not work well. An 8 year old should have a little freedom (depending on situation of course). This is a tragic accident and my heart goes out to her family and all witnesses and those involved. Just a comment: I used a backpack/leash on my 20 month old grandson when taking him from a parking lot, across a road and through the park because I knew he could run faster than me. The only comments I heard were positive, but who knows what people were really thinking.

I think this is a message for every single poster on here for every single thread. I thought people who cruise like to have fun...and fun to me includes being kind to people. There are some posters out here who seem to wait at their keyboard to deliver harsh comments to others. I personally don't like that. I even reached out to the admins about that and was told everyone has different "personalities". To me being mean to others is not a personality.

Thank you KC for saying what needs to be said!

No need to thank me, but you're welcome. [emoji4] I debated posting it for a bit, but it was heavy on my heart.

Totally agree with all the OP's points. People should not judge. Children can do amazing things so fast that even the most attentive parent, even if only an arms length away, could not stop the child every single time. Pretty sure an 8 year old girl or boy could hoist themselves up on a high rail in seconds, hoping to balance and look below. If that child were to misjudge and use too much of their strength, they could easily topple over the slippery rail. Leash an 8 year old? Probably would not work well. An 8 year old should have a little freedom (depending on situation of course). This is a tragic accident and my heart goes out to her family and all witnesses and those involved. Just a comment: I used a backpack/leash on my 20 month old grandson when taking him from a parking lot, across a road and through the park because I knew he could run faster than me. The only comments I heard were positive, but who knows what people were really thinking.
Hopefully the leash/backpack is more acceptable now. My son is now 18 so it's been awhile ago.

It seems the problem maybe some bystanders see it as a form of laziness and wanting to not pay close attention when likely that may not be the case at all.

Either way as long as you're not doing something negligently or dangerous to the child, do what you feel you need to do to keep that kid safe IMO.