Some Clues Online Regarding Wind Surf 2019

LTC Dan

Pudgesmom, I can understand your point of view, we all enjoy different things. All I ask is just one of the yachts in the Med for the summer, it is after all, a pretty significant cruise destination during May-October. We did an Adriatic cruise on one of the yachts when they were owned by Seabourn and really and truly - it was great and there was plenty of outdoor space. We lived at what was then called The Sky Bar, above the pool. I will never forget the deck party right up on the open deck in the prow of the ship as we came into Venice, it was wonderful. I speak as someone who has sailed the Wind Star and Wind Surf - we love them all, but can't wait to sail the yachts with Windstar.

We live in Malta, but love sailing the rest of the Med in summer - sea breezes and air con and no chores - it beats staying home, where it made 40C on a regular basis last year.

We like the motor yachts in the summer being in the cooler climates. We did Norway two summers ago on the Star Legend and loved it. This summer we will be on the Star Pride from Iceland to NYC. Our summers here in Texas are brutal, so we enjoy spending some time away from the heat.

We would not book the motor yachts to the Med in the summer. The usable outdoor space is (or at least seems to be) so much less than the sailing ships.

We were on the Windsurf last summer from Barcelona to Lisbon and loved it.

We haven’t taken many of the itineraries in the Mediterranean yet, so we haven’t felt the problem of repetition. The smaller stops are preferable to us too, but since we haven’t done the larger ones yet, would book either new or old itineraries. We would not book them on a motor yacht.

We also try to escape the heat in Florida during the summer. Did Ireland and Scotland on the Surf last summer and was on her for Norway and other cooler spots before then. This summer going to Alaska on the Legend. There's no right answer as we all have our preferences and reasons for them. Have been all along the Med on the Surf which is our ship of choice but don't want to repeat itineraries other than must do the Caribbean every winter with full sails up. For us the three motor ships are better than anything else offered by other lines but sure wish there was another sailing ship in the works. Woke up to see the Club Med outside our window in the Caribbean in January. It was weird staring out at her with her dirty sails and need of TLC. She should be part of the Windstar fleet. Maybe that will still happen one day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I applaud Windstars initiative to launch new itineraries but cannot help wondering whether they have got carried away and are over- reaching themselves. Some of the destinations are very specific and not attractive to everyone. We love the Med and are very disappointed with the same old itineraries that have been trotted out for this summer and also summer 2019. Greece has so many lovely small islands - surely the Windstar could call somewhere different for a change. Not only that, but for the next 2 summers running, the yachts will not feature in the Med, having been banished to the frozen north. We were hoping to sail them this summer or next but have zero interest in the colder climes. Keeping fingers crossed for summer 2020.

I don't see how you can say what the motor yachts are doing for Summer 2019. No summer cruises are posted for Breeze, Pride and Legend yet. It seems likely that Star Legend will be in Alaska for summer 2019. That leaves the question of what the other two will do.

Pudgesmom, I can understand your point of view, we all enjoy different things. All I ask is just one of the yachts in the Med for the summer, it is after all, a pretty significant cruise destination during May-October.

....We lived at what was then called The Sky Bar, above the pool. I will never forget the deck party right up on the open deck in the prow of the ship as we came into Venice, it was wonderful. I speak as someone who has sailed the Wind Star and Wind Surf - we love them all, but can't wait to sail the yachts with Windstar.

Thank goodness we all do enjoy different things or we would all be trying to take the same cruise!

I’m however going to hold onto the opinion that the outdoor areas on the motor yachts aren’t as good as the sailboats. I’m someone who will sit out all day in the shade on a chaise lounge and I want to be on an open deck. While it’s nice for a cocktail, Sky bar doesn’t cut it for me. :)

Where is the Breeze? I don’t see anything scheduled after Nov 2018. Seems odd they are not selling any cruises on the Breeze for this coming Christmas and into early 2019. No schedule for sailings that are only 8 months out seems very odd.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't see how you can say what the motor yachts are doing for Summer 2019. No summer cruises are posted for Breeze, Pride and Legend yet. It seems likely that Star Legend will be in Alaska for summer 2019. That leaves the question of what the other two will do.

That is so weird - I checked the website again and you are quite right - nothing for 2019 is showing up. I was certain that I saw the 2019 summer schedules somewhere, because I remember being disappointed in them. I wonder how that happened. At least I can still hope to sail one of the motor yachts in the Med next year.....

If you are working with a TA, you may want to start talking with them now about the Star Pride and Legend into 2019. Windstar started sending some advance info out to well connected TAs yesterday. And today they verified the Star Legend will return to Alaska for 2019, but will likely not continue the 14-day itinerary.

I agree. The prices are very high. But then, all of a sudden they are reduced. Patience is in order here. We will keep watching. We only book good value. WINDSTAR is our favorite line having been on 21 voyages since 2000.

Agree, I just received a 7 for 7 deal and it included an Alaska cruise. When you add on gratuities and drinks, an 11 day Windstar cruise is pricing out HIGHER than a 14 day Seabourn Alaska cruise. And that is a 7/7 “deal”. I enjoy Windstar, but would always pick Seabourn over Windstar, especially if SB is less expensive.

On a separate note, I completed a WS itinerary survey, the second one they have sent me in the last month. The vast majority of the survey questions had to do with Alaska. So I would guess that they are really trying to figure out where WS should be and whether Alaska is profitable for them.

To me, there are already way too many ships doing Alaska in the summer. Instead, I would vote for an interesting Eastern Canada/New England summer itinerary rather than the usual “fall colours” typical cruise. The weather is usually great and there are many under-visited ports to explore in this region.