Princess cruises Alaska formal night

SinCityTraveler

I just got off the Star Princess yesterday. I brought clothes for formal

night but never made it to one :'). We had an early traditional seating, and it was hard to get there for some reason. However, I will say they have several photo stations around if you are interested or if that makes a difference in your choice on what to wear.

We saw everything from what I would call business casual/church clothes to pretty dressy. (I personally did not see any tuxedos).

Based on some pre-cruise literature I had read, I was under the impression jeans could not be worn to the dining room. I brought slacks and never wore them. Jeans were fine and accepted with no problems.

Were dress shirt without tie and jacket acceptable for men on the formal nights in dining rooms?

I just got off the Star Princess yesterday. I brought clothes for formal

night but never made it to one :'). We had an early traditional seating, and it was hard to get there for some reason. However, I will say they have several photo stations around if you are interested or if that makes a difference in your choice on what to wear.

We saw everything from what I would call business casual/church clothes to pretty dressy. (I personally did not see any tuxedos).

Based on some pre-cruise literature I had read, I was under the impression jeans could not be worn to the dining room. I brought slacks and never wore them. Jeans were fine and accepted with no problems.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Were dress shirt without tie and jacket acceptable for men on the formal nights in dining rooms?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

DH wore a nice pair of pants and a collared polo shirt. I wore slacks and a not glittery top - we looked fine but we didn't eat in main DR as we had anytime dining which worked out fine with the BUSY schedule on ship. We went to dinner as early as 5:15 some nights and as late as 7:30 due to activities.

I'll be on the Ruby Princess next month. I might give in a get a suit for the formal nights just because the AC is usually so cold I'll probably want the jacket if I'm wearing a nice shirt and tie anyway. The rest of the nights I fully intend to wear jeans. Princess' own policy on their website only forbids jeans "with fraying and/or holes." Mine are like new. Might even pickup a new pair or two. Definitely not pleased about the ban on baseball caps in the dining room. I never go out without my Harley cap.

We leave soon and are doing a DIY week prior to the cruise. I’m already bringing too much stuff so I’m hoping to get by with one “church” dress for formal night and tunics/leggings for the rest....worn with Birkenstocks probably [emoji15] I’m already taking running shoes, hiking shoes, fuzzy boots and birkenstocks.....so I’m not bringing dress shoes. But I feel uneasy about it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the Ruby on June 16th. I can tell you just about anything goes on Formal night. I wear a nice shirt and tie, black slacks, no jacket, I was warm. My wife wears a nice dress, something like you'd wear to church, nothing fancy. On the other nights, you name I saw it all on this cruise. Some people were dressed like they were going out to cut the grass or do some yard work. Baseball hats, I saw a lot of them. I find it to be offensive to wear a hat inside nice dining room. I mentioned it to the Maitre d, he said that they didn't want to offend anyone by telling them to take off there hat.

Edited by Eaglecw

We leave soon and are doing a DIY week prior to the cruise. I’m already bringing too much stuff so I’m hoping to get by with one “church” dress for formal night and tunics/leggings for the rest....worn with Birkenstocks probably [emoji15] I’m already taking running shoes, hiking shoes, fuzzy boots and birkenstocks.....so I’m not bringing dress shoes. But I feel uneasy about it lol

You only need hiking shoes if you plan to hike. You don't need fuzzy boots. It's really not that cold and they take up way too much space. You'd be better off leaving them at home and taking one pair of nicer shoes. Not necessarily "dressy" but nicer than Birkenstocks. :D

I was on the Island Princess last week in Alaska and got mixed up on the second formal night, and I wore smart casual by mistake (button down shirt and khaki pants). I didn't really feel out of place, because most people were not dressed much more formal than me.

Just off the Ruby on June 16th. I can tell you just about anything goes on Formal night. I wear a nice shirt and tie, black slacks, no jacket, I was warm. My wife wears a nice dress, something like you'd wear to church, nothing fancy. On the other nights, you name I saw it all on this cruise. Some people were dressed like they were going out to cut the grass or do some yard work. Baseball hats, I saw a lot of them. I find it to be offensive to wear a hat inside nice dining room. I mentioned it to the Maitre d, he said that they didn't want to offend anyone by telling them to take off there hat.

I could never understand the logic of wearing a hat at dinner??

But if that's what some people enjoy, it doesn't bother me one bit.:confused:

Lot of responses per usual to the dress "code" which is not very well adhered to these days. I have found AK to be less formal than the Caribbean but warmer clothes for obvious reasons. Here in the southwest we wear jeans almost all the time and yes, hats are worn in restaurants while dining. My theory is it is from days past when men wore cowboy hats and really had no place to put them when they ate so they wore them. Today of course men wear mostly baseball style hats. Personally I don't like to wear a hat when eating but don't mind if other do as I see it all the time. I wear athletic shoes all the time now days and that includes all meals on the ship. Nice dockers on formal night with a button shirt will suffice. Luckily I was able to ditch the tie back in the 1990's at work and got rid of all that I had. Never having to wear a suit to work, I don't have one today. Go have fun and don't worry about the "dress code" on the ship. Just wear nice clothes and you will be great.