Glacier Bay and a supper question

BuckeyeMark

We'll be cruising Glacier Bay from 9:15 AM - 7:30 PM. I'm wondering about the end of the Glacier Bay tour and going to supper. Is it all so magnificent that everyone is just glued to the rails from start to finish and no one goes to supper in the MDR or by the 6:00 dining time most folks have seen enough/the boat is just making its way back out to sea and you can go to supper without fear of missing something amazing?

Your experiences and thoughts?

Most people, at least in my experience, don't stand out on a cold deck for 10 hours. Most "come and go, " taking up spots at inside areas where they can see some of the area, then going back out. Will you miss something if you go in? Well, the ship goes in and out of the area, so you will have been on one side or the other earlier. Could a whale appear? Definitely. You have to make an individual choice about watching vs. going to dinner. You can always eat at the buffet later if you wish.

Most people' date=' at least in my experience, don't stand out on a cold deck for 10 hours. Most "come and go, " taking up spots at inside areas where they can see some of the area, then going back out. Will you miss something if you go in? Well, the ship goes in and out of the area, so you will have been on one side or the other earlier. Could a whale appear? Definitely. You have to make an individual choice about watching vs. going to dinner. You can always eat at the buffet later if you wish.[/quote']

very helpful! thanks!

Magnificent..???? It all depends on your past experiences... and weather.

I would forgo food for views, but from my experience, more cruisers would forgo views and experiences for Food.;)

But it is easy to get a view while eating at other venues besides the MDR.

....During the viewing of the Glaciers on May 16th there was never really any crowding that I noticed on the decks.....and we had a picture perfect day...blue sky, no wind, clouds...but it was chilly.

Since the scheduled exit from Glacier Bay is 7:30, you will be most definitely making your way back out, and have finished with the close up glacier viewing. There could be whales, sea otters, other interesting creatures that make an appearance. And there are plenty of options beyond the MDR each evening. Depending upon which ship, Horizon Court of course, and also the burger/hot dog and pizza stands on Lido, maybe International Café, maybe Alfredo's....ones that do not require that much of a time commitment in order to quell the hunger pangs.

I hope you have a lovely day to enjoy the scenery, and are not hearing the commentary, well, if the fog/mist wasn't there you would now be seeing ….. off the port side.

You may be ready for some relaxing time in the dining room if the weather has been good - or not want to pull yourself away from the views. Relax, play it by ear and make your decision based on the progress, the show Mother Nature is offering and what you feel like doing as dinner time approaches that evening.

We'll be cruising Glacier Bay from 9:15 AM - 7:30 PM. I'm wondering about the end of the Glacier Bay tour and going to supper. Is it all so magnificent that everyone is just glued to the rails from start to finish and no one goes to supper in the MDR or by the 6:00 dining time most folks have seen enough/the boat is just making its way back out to sea and you can go to supper without fear of missing something amazing?

Last week it was pretty much over by around 3 pm when the Park Rangers disembarked from the ship.It's kind of neat to watch the Rangers disembark from the ship, port side midship. Watch for the park service to pull along side.

On the way out you pass what you saw in the morning on the way in.

As mentioned in an above post, when the park rangers leave you are past the real scenic parts.

Unless you want to be outside looking for sea creatures, going to dinner at your normal time will not cause you to miss anything.

Yes, Go to supper. You will not miss anything.

We took the opportunity to schedule the Crown Grill at 5:00 PM the day we went into and out of Glacier Bay. As others have reported if you watched going in, the same area is covered going back out.

The Grill was not crowded when while we were there, so was a good idea.

Bob

You could look at other people's photographs now and then you will not have to go outside at all. :evilsmile: Here is a link to my photographs ...

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-9DKMpt

You could look at other people's photographs now and then you will not have to go outside at all. :evilsmile: Here is a link to my photographs ...

GENIUS! We looked at some pics and even videos and then decided to see others' pics of Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan so we canceled the whole cruise. We've now been to Australia, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean and Rigel IV (thank you Captain Kirk!) - all without getting off the couch. And no packing or worrying about someone wearing shorts in the MDR. ;);)

You have an excellent chance of seeing whales as you exit Glacier Bay. If this is a priority for you, you may consider delaying your dinner, or just grabbing a burger on deck.

that's kinda important to us...

mostly trying to decide how many nights we'll be in the MDR and what clothes to bring (oh boy - there's a hot button topic).

thanks everyone for your help! we may just ask the Captain to drop anchor while we eat!

GENIUS! We looked at some pics and even videos and then decided to see others' pics of Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan so we canceled the whole cruise. We've now been to Australia, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean and Rigel IV (thank you Captain Kirk!) - all without getting off the couch. And no packing or worrying about someone wearing shorts in the MDR. ;);)

Great reply. (y)

Last week it was pretty much over by around 3 pm when the Park Rangers disembarked from the ship.It's kind of neat to watch the Rangers disembark from the ship, port side midship. Watch for the park service to pull along side.

We are on the Ruby Princess the first week in July and our Glacier Bay scenic cruising is listed as 6 am to 3 pm. Was your scenic cruising time from 9:15 to 7:30 like the OP? If Princess has changed the itinerary we may need to change our dinner plans.

Here's the precise breakdown from Golden Princess southbound cruise a few weeks ago:

9:15 National Park Rangers board at Bartlett Cove

10:00 Glacier Bay Ranger presentation, Princess Theater (arrive at least 45-60 min early to get a seat)

11:15 Ranger Station open, upper level of Calypso Pool; Ranger commentary from the bridge begins

1:00 Arrive at Margerie Glacier; hold position with engines cut approx 1 hour.

2:45 Arrive at Lamplugh Glacer; hold position with engines cut 30 min

7:15 Disembark Rangers at Bartlett Cove

Assuming the ship is still near Bartlett Cove at 7:15/7:30 if you finish dinner promptly you can be back on deck to catch the final exit from Glacier Bay 30 min or so later, passing the seal rookery as you turn back south (I am assuming you are not on a northbound Voyage of the Glaciers as their Glacier Bay timing is usually something like 6 AM to 1:30 PM)

What we did was head to dinner as usual and then 'adjourned' up to the nightclub to watch the rest of the evening on Golden. It's an incredible day but nobody is at the rail at 7p. Remember, much time is spent getting all the way in and out.

mostly trying to decide how many nights we'll be in the MDR and what clothes to bring (oh boy - there's a hot button topic).

Well, since it's unlikely you'll be taking shorts and tank-tops to Alaska, what you wear on deck for glacier and whale watching should be just fine for the MDR....except, of course, if Glacier Bay day is also a Formal night in which I am obligated to inform you that you should at least bring a tie to wear with your flannel shirt under your Carharrt over-jacket. That's my plan, anyway....

You guys are not suppose to make me laugh just came back from the dentist and my mouth is still numb.

You can joke, but I have met more than one person cruising...who asks me where my next cruise is to, I tell them and they go on all about the locations...and then I say so you have traveled there and they say, no, I just saw it on the discovery channel or Rick Steves travel..and let's not forget u-tube........some have incredible memories after watching these programs.....probably better than some of us who have traveled there several times....Enjoy...

Thanks for posting your photos! We've been there several times, but the sight never grows old. Especially liked your "stop-action" shots of a piece of the face coming off and the shot of the TV weather info!

The end of the Glacier Bay day is in Icy Strait. There are (supposedly) whales there but in 4 trips, I’ve never seen one. My advice is go to dinner...

I believe that just before going from GB into IS, there are rocks (starboard side) where lots of sea lions like to bask in the sun. Quite a noisy bunch!

You have an excellent chance of seeing whales as you exit Glacier Bay. If this is a priority for you, you may consider delaying your dinner, or just grabbing a burger on deck.

Four trips and only saw a whale once far away during exit from Glacier Bay. They do like the salt/fresh line at the bay entrance, just not when we were there.