Converting to cuc money

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

My bank told me that no USA bank will convert usa dollars to cuc

I was also told using usa dollars and converting in Cuba there is a 13% fee and was told to convert my usa dollars prior to my trip to Canadian dollars as I won't get hit with high taxes and fees this way, does anybody know whether this is true?

13% hit on US dollars, and 3% hit on Euros. However, we learned that several restaurants accept both US dollars and Euros. We received our bill in all 3 currencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you use euros in Cuba or do you have to convert them to CUC when you arrive at the pier? Do you know the approximate exchange rate for US dollars to see you see you when you arrive?

Can you use euros in Cuba or do you have to convert them to CUC when you arrive at the pier? Do you know the approximate exchange rate for US dollars to see you see you when you arrive?

I have read that some people successfully used US $ at some places, but I haven't seen anything about Euros being accepted. Even US $ are apparently hit or miss since technically they should not be accepted.

US $ are 1:1 with CUCs, minus the 3% exchange fee and the 10% penalty, so you receive 87 CUC for $100 US.

I haven't seen anything about Euros being accepted.

Euros are sporadically accepted as well. We had lunch at La Moneda Cubana and our bill was presented in CUC, USD and EUR.

Just returned from Cuba last week. Converted US dollars to Euros prior to the trip. Saved me about $25 (if I did all the math correctly). When you leave Cuba and convert your CUCs back, they don't give you a choice -- you're getting US dollars.

I didn't see any establishment that accepted US dollars. Our tour guide told us that the Cuban government wants to control US currency in circulation because it is so widely accepted elsewhere. If ordinary citizens were able to get it and save it, they could possibly leave. CUCs are basically Monopoly money and virtually worthless outside of Cuba.

Just returned from Cuba last week. Converted US dollars to Euros prior to the trip. Saved me about $25 (if I did all the math correctly). When you leave Cuba and convert your CUCs back, they don't give you a choice -- you're getting US dollars.

I didn't see any establishment that accepted US dollars. Our tour guide told us that the Cuban government wants to control US currency in circulation because it is so widely accepted elsewhere. If ordinary citizens were able to get it and save it, they could possibly leave. CUCs are basically Monopoly money and virtually worthless outside of Cuba.

How much money did you exchange?