Bus or train from Madrid to Barcelona

sailco

We're taking a road trip that ends in Madrid before our cruise which departs from Barcelona. If we go by bus it's a whole day, about 7 hours but it stops in a couple of towns and you get to see the scenery at a leisurely pace. We will also know exactly where our luggage is. By train it's under 3 hours but where does the luggage go? Can it be checked in like for a flight? Has anyone done this trip on either the bus or train?

We're taking a road trip that ends in Madrid before our cruise which departs from Barcelona. If we go by bus it's a whole day, about 7 hours but it stops in a couple of towns and you get to see the scenery at a leisurely pace. We will also know exactly where our luggage is. By train it's under 3 hours but where does the luggage go? Can it be checked in like for a flight? Has anyone done this trip on either the bus or train?

You can keep a small carryon with you for your valuables. Don’t worry about your luggage. We traveled from Barcelona to Madrid by bus but it was a tour, we stopped overnight, the driving is all on the highway you are not going to see any scenery. It’s all barren limestone. Take the high speed train!

We took the train from Barcelona to Madrid this past February. Saw plenty of pretty countryside along the way. The train itself is very nice; as usual in European high-speed trains, small- and medium-sized bags can go in the overhead racks, with racks at the ends of each car for larger bags. There's no checking in for trains in Europe, but unusually in Spain you do have a security check where your bags are x-rayed, so be sure to allow time for that.

In addition, by using the train you get to spend time at the spectacular Madrid Atocha station - the old part of the station has been transformed into a tropical garden, with resident turtles.

I can't imagine spending 7 hours going by bus when the train is so easy and comfortable.

If money is no object train is faster and better option. Sometime Renfe sells for 32€ but that's probably on the first days of sales and only on certain departures. Buses are much cheaper if purchased in advance. And they definitely better than Greyhound in the US.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the excellent replies. We favoured the train in the beginning so it's good to know it has the scenery and the usual luggage arrangements. Surprisingly there's not a lot of difference in the cost.

I would take the train. As already stated, the buses travel along the motorways, so you are not going to save much.

Obviously, I don’t know your age, but RENFE offers discount to senior citizens. It depend on which day and train you travel, but you can check it out. Look for Carta Dorada.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would for sure take the train. It is not a long journey, the scenery is not spectacular but it is interesting to look out of the window.

You do not have to book first class. Second class is fine and you can keep your eye on your luggage. It is worth getting to the station about 40 minutes before your train leaves. Luggage is scanned and then about 30 minutes before, you are allowed to board the train. People are queuing up before boarding starts, I think because they want to find the best options for storing luggage.

Always keep anything of monetary value - such as bank cards, phones etc right beside you.

High speed trains are great in Spain.

The train is definitely more comfortable; you can get up and move around and there will usually be a buffet car or trolley service selling food and drinks.

For luggage, seriously consider taking a bike lock with you to secure your suitcases to the rack or to each other, cutting down the small but real risk of theft, especially if you are seated some distance from the luggage rack and don't have a good view of it.

I would take the train. As already stated, the buses travel along the motorways, so you are not going to save much.

Obviously, I don’t know your age, but RENFE offers discount to senior citizens. It depend on which day and train you travel, but you can check it out. Look for Carta Dorada.

I'm also going to Madrid. The senior Carta Dorada ticket isn't just for Spaniards, is it? I know on some bus and subway lines you can only get a senior discount if you're a native, or at least have some kind of card you qualify for in advance. Just curious; Barcelona to Madrid isn't cheap!

Luggage rack has thick pole on either side so a lock with cable will do the job. However these cables are easily snapped with wire cutters in case someone is trying to steal it. But I never had any issues with luggage theft on AVE trains. BTW when AVE promo tickets are purchased on Renfe website seats are assigned automatically so they may be in the middle of the car and not close to luggage.

Luggage rack has thick pole on either side so a lock with cable will do the job. However these cables are easily snapped with wire cutters in case someone is trying to steal it. But I never had any issues with luggage theft on AVE trains. BTW when AVE promo tickets are purchased on Renfe website seats are assigned automatically so they may be in the middle of the car and not close to luggage.

Thanks for all the advice. Bike locks make it sound risky to take your luggage on a train in Spain. Food for thought. :rolleyes::confused::(

Thanks for all the advice. Bike locks make it sound risky to take your luggage on a train in Spain. Food for thought. :rolleyes::confused::(

If you're in the middle of the carriage and your luggage is on a rack at the end, it's effectively unattended. The bike lock will make thieves think twice. Theft could happen anywhere; someone posting on the Italy board here recently reported theft of luggage on an Italian train and my friend had hers stolen on the Eurostar a couple of months back, so it's wise to take precautions.

Don’t keep anything of value in your luggage and you don’t have to worry. It might be a slight inconvenience not to have your clothes but won’t ruin your vacation.

If you have not got your luggage in sight, you can always get up at the stations to be sure that no one has "accidentally" taken yours off. Theft is not a specific issue on Spanish train, it happens in any country. I take the same precautions when I am travelling on British Rail.

• 3 weeks later...

You may have already made a decision but we love bus and train traveling in Spain but have always been travelling to and from Malaga. Via train if you’re in a first class carriage there is room for your luggage between the seats on the high speed train. The first class lounge in Madrid is a nice place to wait for the train (not airline lounge standard but pretty good). Try http://www.seat61.com for some info. See you on the Med cruise on 6/5/19.

You may have already made a decision but we love bus and train traveling in Spain but have always been travelling to and from Malaga. Via train if you’re in a first class carriage there is room for your luggage between the seats on the high speed train. The first class lounge in Madrid is a nice place to wait for the train (not airline lounge standard but pretty good). Try www.seat61.com for some info. See you on the Med cruise on 6/5/19.

Thanks for the great information. Changes my thinking yet again! The roll call is pretty quiet, but we're really looking forward to the cruise. Your input for things to see and do at the ports would be great to have.