Havana "bar hopping" - middle aged style! ;)

cpayne

We have an overnight in Havana during our March 2019 Cuba cruise. We are not interested in a scheduled show such as the Tropicana. Looking more to take in several local bars with music, dancing, etc.... Sample some mojitos, watch some salsa dancing, listen to some jazz music, etc. Looking to not go where everyone else is such as Hemingways. We'd like to sample several different places to take in the atmosphere/ambiance.

Saw the Strawberry Tours Free Walking Tour - Havana Nightlife. It goes to 5 different locations. Anyone know what those are besides Hemingways?

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be within walking distance of the cruise ship necessarily. Thinking we could take a Coco cab which is something we want to do anyway!

Thanks.

I thought that too about just wandering around, but figured it might not be wise to wander around in the dark in areas unknown to us not quite knowing where we were going, not knowing the language, etc. Especially after a drink or two! :p

I thought that too about just wandering around, but figured it might not be wise to wander around in the dark in areas unknown to us not quite knowing where we were going, not knowing the language, etc. Especially after a drink or two! :p

I wanted to know too..no one responded to my post either.:(

I did some research on my own last night and posted on Trip Advisor. Here is a list I came up with so far, but am not done with my "homework":

El Patchanka - across from El Christo Square

Lamparilla Tapas & Cervezas

El Dandy

Jazz Café

La Vitrola

Los Dos Hermanos

La Bodeguita Del Medio

La Floridita

The last 3 on the list appear to be a bit too "touristy" for our taste, but may stop in and share a drink depending on how the day/night goes. Los Dos and La Bodeguita are very near the cruise terminal so could be a good spot for the last stop on our "tour".

We likely will start at El Patchanka and walk there from the terminal. Meander to several other places and end the evening by taking a CoCo cab back to the pier. A CoCo cab ride is on our to do list for this trip so after an evening of middle aged bar hopping might be the perfect time for this!

Here is a link to the Strawberry Walking Tours. I have posted on Trip Advisor asking if anyone has taken the Nightlife Tour and if so what were the 5 bars they went to. I believe they go to Hemingways, but curious what the other 4 are. I suspect the other 4 are just as touristy and likely not what we are interested in. Not to mention we visit these on our own. Keep in mind the tours are "free", but they ask that you pay what you feel the tour is worth.

https://strawberrytours.com/havana?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8tvF8aPn2QIVQ7XACh02LwsDEAAYASAAEgL_LPD_BwE

• Thanks 1

I received the following response on Trip Advisor re: the bars visited for the Strawberry Free Walking Nightlife Tour:

Brewery in Plaza Vieja, Bar Relic with demonstration and salsa class, Artpub, and ends at the hotel's rooftop England (salsa club). A beautiful view of Havana. Not enough time for a 5th stop

I have not heard of any of these so will be doing some more "homework". Would LOVE to take a salsa class!

We were in Havana on 15th & 16th November and we walked into the City in the evening to help a fellow (German) cruise passenger celebrate his birthday. We found a pavement bar/restaurant just off the main square, where there was a good cross section of locals and tourists and a Band playing. I got up and joined the Band for one number (that lasted about 8 minutes - I was on my knees when the Singer passed me the maraccas!) whilst Mrs Marchie pretended not to be with me!

Our German friend took 4 photos - you can see I'm sinking lower as fatigue takes over (I thought a 2-3 minutes turn would be about right rather than the 8 minutes! 'What is the Spanish for 'I'm having a heart attack!'?')

We had a fabulous time and felt safe enough to wander down dimly lit alleys on the way back to the ship. There were security guards at regular intervals just maintaining a watching brief to ensure that everyone was having a good time whilst staying safe - a perfect balance.

A lovely wee trip in a great atmosphere - 'There was a German, a Scots woman and an Englishman ...' :)

I have tentatively come up with the following for our "middle aged pub crawl" while in Havana:

La Lluvia de Oro

El Floridita (may skip due to crowds, too touristy)

El Patchanka

Art Pub

La Reliquia (free salsa dancing lessons)

La Vitrola

This route makes a complete loop back to the cruise terminal. All in all it's approx. 3 km so approx. 2 miles total.

The first bar La Lluvia is located on Calle Opispo. I've been told this street is the Havana version of Bourbon St in New Orleans. If that is the case we may end up making a few more stops and letting the night take us where it takes us. This at least gives us a starting game plan and we can enjoy from there!

Hope this helps others!

• Like 1

Survived 22 years in the Royal Navy doing exactly this.

Some places were a little more hairy than Havana, only got held up at gunpoint once, twice at knifepoint and robbed 3 times..

All part of the adventure

And your experience as I presume a "young" sailor is what I am trying to avoid! Those are all bucket list items that are NOT on my list! :)

Unfortunately not always so young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with cpayne -- already been held up at gun and machete point in Costa Rica -- sincerely wish to avoid the experience ever again! So it is a balance between safety and fun! I've copied your list cpayne -- and will be watching for your review! Thanks for doing the research!

We don’t sail until March 2019 so don’t sit by the computer waiting too long! You may get tired waiting! Obviously I’m excited about this aspect of our Cuba visit as I’m doing my homework a year in advance!

Oh! LOL!!! You are a researcher and planner!! :D I understand that totally! We are going November 2018, so if we hit any local spots, I'll report back! But ... still plenty of planning time!

We’re off mid May 2018.

Will report back on our bar hopping adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely come back and share your experiences after you cruise next March! We are cruising to Havana in April, 2019 and this sounds right up our alley. We specifically choose our itinerary because it's in Havana until 2AM. We definitely want to experience the nightlife in Havana as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely can't wait to see people's reports. We are heading there in July and definitely don't want all the "touristy" places but want places that are fun and not too far off the beaten path!

We were very interested in the Strawberry Tours Nightlife tour. Unfortunately, we will be in Havana on a Wednesday evening and they do not offer the tour on Wednesdays. I'd prefer to do the "bar hopping" through a tour. Does anyone know of a tour company that offers a tour similar to the Strawberry Tours Nightlife?

We were very interested in the Strawberry Tours Nightlife tour. Unfortunately, we will be in Havana on a Wednesday evening and they do not offer the tour on Wednesdays. I'd prefer to do the "bar hopping" through a tour. Does anyone know of a tour company that offers a tour similar to the Strawberry Tours Nightlife?

We were going to bar hop on our own, but decided to book the Strawberry tour instead. Likely a safer (and more fun!) alternative for 2 women on the town in Havana for the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have the same situation. We are looking for something to do on a Wednesday night. We already have tickets to the Tropicana on Thursday. I am hoping to hear from someone who has bar-hopped on their own .

I have tentatively come up with the following for our "middle aged pub crawl" while in Havana:

La Lluvia de Oro

El Floridita (may skip due to crowds, too touristy)

El Patchanka

Art Pub

La Reliquia (free salsa dancing lessons)

La Vitrola

This route makes a complete loop back to the cruise terminal. All in all it's approx. 3 km so approx. 2 miles total.

The first bar La Lluvia is located on Calle Opispo. I've been told this street is the Havana version of Bourbon St in New Orleans. If that is the case we may end up making a few more stops and letting the night take us where it takes us. This at least gives us a starting game plan and we can enjoy from there!

Hope this helps others!

Cheri,

Thank you for the list of bars. This sounds like a perfect fit for what we are looking for! How was your trip? I was hoping to find out about what time you started your pub crawl? Looking forward to hearing about your pub crawl! Thanks Dawn