Is Oceania Feeling Squeezed?

isbclarin

Oceania seems to be staging an advertising blitz. We get an Oceania brochure at least once and sometimes twice a week.

Is the line's bottom line being hurt by upstarts like Viking? Advertising at the level we're seeing must be terribly expensive and hopefully doesn't impact the delivered product.

Oceania seems to be staging an advertising blitz. We get an Oceania brochure at least once and sometimes twice a week.

Is the line's bottom line being hurt by upstarts like Viking? Advertising at the level we're seeing must be terribly expensive and hopefully doesn't impact the delivered product.

Only twice? Nothing new. You'll be bombarded with Oceania literature until you ask to be removed from mailings and/or hit the Bronze loyalty level.

From what I understand from several folks who have already tried Viking, Oceania has nothing to worry about.

Only twice? Nothing new. You'll be bombarded with Oceania literature until you ask to be removed from mailings and/or hit the Bronze loyalty level.

From what I understand from several folks who have already tried Viking, Oceania has nothing to worry about.

So it's not a recent thing. We've recently booked our first Oceania cruise. That probably triggered the blitz.

So it's not a recent thing. We've recently booked our first Oceania cruise. That probably triggered the blitz.

Now you are on their mailing list radar. That is the only thing that is new.

Oceania spends a lot on advertising because it works.

My wife came across an O flyer in the Wall Street Journal and she took a Marina cruise with her sister. They loved it so much my wife treated me to an O cruise on the Regatta to get me to try Oceania. I had been a Cunard fan. No more, now I’m hooked on O.

We subsequently took another O cruise with a friend. She loved it. Then she took her family on an O cruise around the British Isles.

We took an O cruise with my wife’s sister and husband and another friend and her husband. They loved the cruise and both couples booked a subsequent O cruise while on board.

We give the flyers to friends, neighbors and other cruise enthusiasts. Many new customers have come to O because of that flyer in the WSJ.

cl

I just booked our first Oceania cruise but have been blitzed for years! Those brochures are in the mail every week and even in the Wall Street Journal sometimes. I did get a regular envelope this past week offering specials as a booked guest. That's the only new one I think. Could be I entered a CC contest for Oceania or they just used NCL frequent guest list.

Fortunately O in the UK don't do as much mailing, I think we have only had two since we booked in April, but we do get emails very regularly, which is fine. We get nearly as much postal advertising from Azamara, who we haven't sailed with in two years. I think once you have shown any interest in a cruise line, either registering on a web site or booking a cruise they all follow up with you, trying to tempt you back, O isn't any different to the others.

Total agree... direct mail marketing is highly productive or they would not do it... Viking is even worse when it comes to beat on you and never let up. ( TV, Magazines, Internet, ....WE are the Worlds best_____ ( fill in the blank) I fully expect at some point viking to say" recommended by Jesus."

Total agree... direct mail marketing is highly productive or they would not do it... Viking is even worse when it comes to beat on you and never let up. ( TV, Magazines, Internet, ....WE are the Worlds best_____ ( fill in the blank) I fully expect at some point viking to say" recommended by Jesus."

Just started getting unsolicited Viking mail.

Just started getting unsolicited Viking mail.

We’ve had huge piles of Viking mail for at least ten years. Some days we get both river and ocean brochures.

Viking markets like no one else. Their breakthrough came when they became the face of Masterpiece theatre.

I also see their TV ads on various commercial channels.

Viking is impressive to mass market cruisers looking to move up.

I like the Viking ocean product but Oceania is in no danger of being squeezed.

I’ve never seen an Oceania TV commercial.

I took the Cruise Director's advice to "get into the spirit" of the cruise.

I was arrested for murder, pillage, arson, and rape.

I'm never sailing Viking again.

Dont know about the murder and arson but the pillage and rape sounded interesting. Did they offer those as shore ex ???

Fortunately O in the UK don't do as much mailing, I think we have only had two since we booked in April, but we do get emails very regularly, which is fine.

It must be something to do with your living in N Ireland. We live in England and get mailing from Oceania at least twice a week. I kid you not. E mails also.

We also get mailing from other lines, Viking, Seabourn Azamara (whom we have never sailed with), but O sends the most. J

I took the Cruise Director's advice to "get into the spirit" of the cruise.

I was arrested for murder, pillage, arson, and rape.

I'm never sailing Viking again.

Well! I certainly hope you got the Crown Jewels for your wife. I mean a raid on England just isn't worth it without a stop over in London:*

I agree with those that tried Viking and went back to O, been there and done that.

ONE reason to keep those brochures (stacked away) is in the event you decide you want to book a wait listed cruise. Once all categories are wait listed, it is hard to find the prices on line if you decide you do want to wait list. At least having the brochure gives you an estimate...

I agree with those that tried Viking and went back to O, been there and done that.

ONE reason to keep those brochures (stacked away) is in the event you decide you want to book a wait listed cruise. Once all categories are wait listed, it is hard to find the prices on line if you decide you do want to wait list. At least having the brochure gives you an estimate...

Another way to do it is to save a screenshot of the online brochure page.

Or sell them on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OCEANIA-CRUISES-2018-COMPACT-CATALOG-YOUR-WORLD-YOUR-WAY-CARIBBEAN-DREAMS-NEW/202389571605?hash=item2f1f5bc815%3Ag%3AKjwAAOSw7bdanLh-%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass%2198023%21US%21-1&_sop=10&_nkw=oceania+cruises&rt=nc