flying in day of cruise

LHT28

OK I know this is against my better judgement but just want to ask if anyone has had any issues in the past

We will be flying from YYZ to NYC next spring 1.30 hr flight time

Was thinking of just going in the same day but after reading this thread I am reconsidering

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2664024

Unless they shut the airports down I think we could do same day flight

comments ??

PS DH does not care for NYC sorry

we are in a small town & not fond of the rat race now

sorry early April

I know it can still be winter sometimes which also scares me

Could also be thunderstorms.

If you flew into LaGuardia the day before, you could stay at a hotel in Queens near the airport before taking an Uber to the port. No need to stay in Manhattan. Fly into Newark and you could stay near the airport or somewhere more suburban like Seacaucus and then take the Uber the next day.

You could also drive and do a Park & Sail deal at a hotel near the airport in NJ.

If you go to the Cruise Air Forum, here on CC, I believe it’s under Cruise Discussion Topics there is a lengthy discussion on this topic for your reading pleasure.

Greater than 90% of posters feel flying in the day of the cruise is a moronic thing to do, especially if it entails plane changes, but do as you please.

Lyn, I agree with the suggestions to stay by the airport the night before. Then you have an easy transition to the ship the next day. There are no rules that say you must tour NYC if you don't want to!

I myself wouldn't risk a 1:30 flight. You're not that far away, but any delay in taking off could be a real problem. Of course, you could then just fly to New Brunswick and wait for us there ..

Mura

Lyn,

What time does the cruise sail?

IMO, there are so many daily flights on multiple airlines between YYZ and NYC that if one flight has a problem (equipment, etc) there are many other options if you start early and the ship sails at 6 PM (or later). Also, this is a direct flight not involving plane changes - further minimizing delays, missed connections, etc.

I think I would be comfortable taking an early AM flight in late April.

That said, if you are averse to risk and a “worry wart”, flying in a day early would be safer.

sorry I guess I did not explain it right

the flight to NYC takes 1 1/2 hrs flying time

there are several non stop flights to NYC from Toronto so I would certainly book a morning flight & hope no delays

The ship sails at 6 pm so my cut off time would to arrive in NYC by 3pm at the latest

Yes staying at an airport hotel would probably work ok (they are so lovely)

No UBER

Driving 12 hrs to NYC is a no go

I know I asked

Thanks for input

Narrowed the options to flying in night before with an airport hotel ;(

or flying in early morning also :(

will have to see what DH will prefer short of cancelling the cruise :(

Lyn,

What time does the cruise sail?

IMO, there are so many daily flights on multiple airlines between YYZ and NYC that if one flight has a problem (equipment, etc) there are many other options if you start early and the ship sails at 6 PM (or later). Also, this is a direct flight not involving plane changes - further minimizing delays, missed connections, etc.

I think I would be comfortable taking an early AM flight in late April.

That said, if you are averse to risk and a “worry wart”, flying in a day early would be safer.

Really unexpected things can happen. I was booked on a Seattle to San Francisco flight the day that the Asiana flight crashed at SFO.

Virgin America had only two flights affected: the northbound flight that couldn’t take off in the immediate aftermath of the crash and the southbound flight later in the day that used the same airplane - my flight.

VA was scrambling trying to rebook passengers. I was able to buy a first-class ticket on Alaska into San Jose and get home at about the same time. To get home that day, I had to front the new ticket purchase and had no cheaper option. VA later refunded my ticket with them in full.

I got like the second or third-last ticket period. If I had waited much longer, it would have been Oakland or the next day. There was a family I met in the gate area who now needed to get from SJC to SFO for a connecting flight and the Seattle gate staff couldn’t tell them. (Answer: a very expensive taxi ride.)

If I were to book same-day, I’d make sure that I booked the very first flight of the day and I would be ready to adapt no matter the price.

Yes staying at an airport hotel would probably work ok (they are so lovely)

No UBER:(

There are other options beyond staying at an airport hotel. I figured you didn't want to go into a populated area and just wanted to stay in the hotel (also seems like you're being unnecessarily contrary with that comment). There is a big outlet mall near Newark Airport with hotels that are walking distance from it (Country Inn and Suites is one). People generally stay there before sailing out of Bayonne but no reason you couldn't get to NYC from there (in fact, there is a bus if you're open to that). If you stayed in Seacaucus (closer to NYC), it's a big shopping area and I have seen other people talk about staying there before a NYC cruise (although it was generally with parking). Here's a thread from a couple of years ago from someone who was staying at the Embassy Suites and had a park, sleep and cruise package. Not sure what they'd charge for just sleep and cruise. Also mention of another Hilton branded hotel that has a similar package. In Queens, I know there are hotels in downtown Flushing which is a big Asian area and you could probably have a very good meal the night before. But it's very crowded so maybe not what you want.

Not sure why you object to Uber but you could take a regular cab or limo if you prefer, it would just be much more expensive.

Edited by MisterBill99

Not sure why you object to Uber but you could take a regular cab or limo if you prefer, it would just be much more expensive.

I believe you need a smart phone with an app to get UBER ? correct me if I am wrong

We do not have a smart phone & our Cell only works in Canada

I believe you need a smart phone with an app to get UBER ? correct me if I am wrong

We do not have a smart phone & our Cell only works in Canada

You do not need a Smartphone. I recall hearing about a service for seniors so they could get Uber by phone. Details are here.

If you had a Smartphone, it would work fine over Wifi at the hotel, which would be fine for using the app. But obviously you do not have one.

Really unexpected things can happen. I was booked on a Seattle to San Francisco flight the day that the Asiana flight crashed at SFO.

Virgin America had only two flights affected: the northbound flight that couldn’t take off in the immediate aftermath of the crash and the southbound flight later in the day that used the same airplane - my flight.

VA was scrambling trying to rebook passengers. I was able to buy a first-class ticket on Alaska into San Jose and get home at about the same time. To get home that day, I had to front the new ticket purchase and had no cheaper option. VA later refunded my ticket with them in full.

I got like the second or third-last ticket period. If I had waited much longer, it would have been Oakland or the next day. There was a family I met in the gate area who now needed to get from SJC to SFO for a connecting flight and the Seattle gate staff couldn’t tell them. (Answer: a very expensive taxi ride.)

If I were to book same-day, I’d make sure that I booked the very first flight of the day and I would be ready to adapt no matter the price.

Anything can happen at any time but not many disasters happen regularly

Though this part of the discussion is a little OT, I'm with you LTH28 re: Uber. Several reason but significantly is with insurance. And we are discussing risk possibilities here. Does one's travel insurance still cover if they miss the cruise due to accident, breakdown or delay? Or worse of course medical coverage if in an accident, even caused by others. Travel insurance policies usually speak of "common carrier".

And like Paulchili's comment on taking an early flight and many flight options I probably would do that. And being relatively close by you'll have reasonably good idea of possible significant weather delays with maybe enough time to move to plan B. More expensive last minute but have a choice.

There's a huge difference between flying early in the day between two major airports for a short haul, non stop flight and making a multiple connection, hours long, halfway across the planet flight.

In your case I'd go for it. Although the idea behind going to a location early is to minimize issues there are literally hundreds of people that fly in the same day with no problems. I've done it plenty of times myself, although we usually go in early.

I know very well how things can go bad as we got to spend over 7 hours on the tarmac in ATL during the famous blackout last December.

It's a gamble, odds are in your favor.

I’d probably go in the night before. But, then I avoid early morning flights like the plague. We are only about 45 to 60 minutes from our airport. But, if the flight is before 10 am, we stay at an airport hotel. In this case, I would fly out in time for a relaxing dinner at a nice hotel at a NY airport hotel, chill for the evening and have a nice breakfast before embarking.

Then again, I’m probably weird in actually liking airport hotel stays. We have actually gotten to viewing them as the “appetizer” to the vacation. Or, it might be we have gotten used to them to score some low mile FF flights, where they have forced the overnight to use saver miles. :D

I do agree you are very low risk for a same day fly in. The OP in that thread had fewer choices coming from Austin.

I am aware of weather issues we were stuck in DFW due to thunder storms ..it was on the way home from a family visit so did not matter

We usually fly in early to most places

We probably will fly in the day of

if things go pear shaped I will just blame DH

will not be the 1st time ;)

Thanks everyone for the comments

I’d probably go in the night before. But, then I avoid early morning flights like the plague. We are only about 45 to 60 minutes from our airport. But, if the flight is before 10 am, we stay at an airport hotel. In this case, I would fly out in time for a relaxing dinner at a nice hotel at a NY airport hotel, chill for the evening and have a nice breakfast before embarking.

If you are likely to stay at the airport in DTW the night before anyway then I would definitely stay in NYC hotel for the night before cruise and enjoy the city - easy choice :D

If you are likely to stay at the airport in DTW the night before anyway then I would definitely stay in NYC hotel for the night before cruise and enjoy the city - easy choice :D

LOL...we are on Insignia next week. Flying in early evening two days before, so this time not staying the night in DTW.

Since Lyn has made her decision, I’ll do some thread drift and ask (I did already get ideas on the Eastern Departures Board)... where would you have an Italian dinner midtown (we’re near 45th west - Cassa Hotel) on a Sunday late? It’s an 41st anniversary. Butter is in the hotel, but looking at the menu...don’t know.

Since Lyn has made her decision, I’ll do some thread drift and ask (I did already get ideas on the Eastern Departures Board)... where would you have an Italian dinner midtown (we’re near 45th west - Cassa Hotel) on a Sunday late? It’s an 41st anniversary. Butter is in the hotel, but looking at the menu...don’t know.

A search for top Italian restaurants in NYC gave me a list of top 10 (linked below), almost none of which were in midtown. However, Ai Fiorni seems to get excellent reviews. It's 400 5th Avenue, between 36th and 37th so not to far of a walk. However, they seem to be very pricey.(but hey, it's your anniversary!). Carmines in the Theatre District is touristy but seems to get excellent ratings (but it's not on the top 10 list).

Here's the article. Their #1 choice is in Brooklyn and supposed to be excellent.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-york/best-italian-restaurants-in-nyc