CC article on Pirt of Cuba...

sleepbestonships

I am stuck in a spiral of trying to understand rules on travel to Cuba. Reading source docs etc. has led me to believe that as if this moment in time, self-certification is still allowed under "SOTCP".

Now I was reading a CC article on Cuba and it says, " Under the Trump administration, the certification required by U.S. citizens in order to visit is back to a group tour mandate -- but the regulations are a moving target."

I would like to see the source document to support the above quote. Anyone know why this (mis)information is so rampant? If I fly in on an airline, they don't require me to follow a "group tour mandate", right?

Edited to apologize for typos in thread title and elsewhere. I should never type on my iPad!

I know I’m talking to myself here- and that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, so my apologies for my use of this post to help me clarify my thinking (my husband has no interest in this discussion).

I went to the text of the national security presidential memorandum regarding Cuba (https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/10/20/2017-22928/strengthening-the-policy-of-the-united-states-toward-cuba). Here is the relevant text regarding support of the Cuban people. Note that the Sec of Treasury and Sec of State were to initiate a process to adjust current regulations and ensure adherence... but as far as I can tell (ii) below describes quite nicely the private tours of Havana that many of us wish to/have do/done:

(b) Within 30 days of the date of this memorandum, the Secretary of the Treasury, in coordination with the Secretary of State, shall initiate a process to adjust current regulations to ensure adherence to the statutory ban on tourism to Cuba.

(i) The amended regulations shall require that educational travel be for legitimate educational purposes. Except for educational travel that was permitted by regulation in effect on January 27, 2011, all educational travel shall be under the auspices of an organization subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, and all such travelers must be accompanied by a representative of the sponsoring organization.

(ii) The regulations shall further require that those traveling for the permissible purposes of non academic education or to provide support for the Cuban people:

(A) engage in a full-time schedule of activities that enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people's independence from Cuban authorities; and

(B) meaningfully interact with individuals in Cuba.

(iii) The regulations shall continue to provide that every person engaging in travel to Cuba shall keep full and accurate records of all transactions related to authorized travel, regardless of whether they were effected pursuant to license or otherwise, and such records shall be available for examination by the Department of the Treasury for at least 5 years after the date they occur.

(iv) The Secretary of State, the Secretary of the Treasury, the Secretary of Commerce, and the Secretary of Transportation shall review their agency's enforcement of all categories of permissible travel within 90 days of the date the regulations described in this subsection are finalized to ensure such enforcement accords with the policies outlined in section 2 of this memorandum.

No where do I see that these can only be achieved via tours with license numbers- but if I am missing this from somewhere else, I would sure like to have it pointed out to me.

Edited by sleepbestonships
Typo

Other source documents:

Cuban Assets Control Regulations https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2017-24447.pdf?utm_campaign=pi%20subscription%20mailing%20list&utm_source=federalregister.gov&utm_medium=email

The regulations describe both educational travel (which must now be with U.S. sponsor) and SFTCP.

Support for the Cuban people.

In accordance with section 3(b)(ii) of the NSPM, OFAC is amending § 515.574 to require that each traveler engage in a full-time schedule of activities that result in meaningful interaction with individuals in Cuba and that enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities.

31 CFR 515.574 (detailing support for the Cuban people).

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2016-title31-vol3/pdf/CFR-2016-title31-vol3-sec515-574.pdf

Edited by sleepbestonships
typo

Nowhere do I see that these can only be achieved via tours with license numbers- but if I am missing this from somewhere else, I would sure like to have it pointed out to me.

You have researched well and come to the right conclusions.

The deceit of cruise lines is being covered in this forum: http://forums.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/t/cruise-line-passengers-to-cuba-which-ofac-category/23708/17

[url=http://forums.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/t/cruise-line-passengers-to-cuba-which-ofac-category/23708/17][/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Stop thinking so much...I was the same way looked into everything I was afraid of any hang ups...they ask nothing all they was is passport and visa the 1st time off the boat. Do more research on finding stuff u want to get. That is the hard part. Came home with only coffee no cigars wasn’t sure who was legit and when we finally figured it out and headed black out after dinner all were closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was mind boggling to figure things out before we sailed to Cuba, but ultimately, it was pretty simple.

Select Support for the Cuban People on your travel certification form (NOT people to people), and have activities planned to fulfill the requirements for that visa (taking tours through private operators, eating at independently owned paladares and restaurants, visiting museums and shops, etc). Try to document as much of what you do as possible (receipts, confirmations, etc). But as you’ve probably read over and over, after you turn in that travel certification form on embarkation day, nobody will really monitor what you do ashore in Cuba. You walk right off the ship, go through customs and you’re pretty much free.

The main thing is that you do not spend any money at establishments that are operated by the Cuban government and military. Visit the Dept of State’s website for a full list of restricted establishments.

Going to Cuba requires more research than your average Caribbean port of call, but once you’re there, its really not nearly as hard as it feels.

Do your research, know what you want to do in advance, come up with your list of activities, and enjoy! It’s truly one of the most fascinating ports of call I’ve visited in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

• 2 weeks later...
Stop thinking so much...I was the same way looked into everything I was afraid of any hang ups...they ask nothing all they was is passport and visa the 1st time off the boat.

Totally agree!

The cruise lines have induced such anxiety in passengers that they're terrified of "doing something wrong."

Take a deep breath...just mark the affidavit as "Support for Cuban People"....decide what you want to see and do...make any reservations or you can just walk around on your own (especially in Havana)...take some money....get off the ship....take your passport and visa to the immigration booth...exchange money...go have a wonderful adventure in Cuba!!

It's not complicated so don't let all those governmental regulations get you bogged down...as a matter of fact, stop reading them. Just go and enjoy the warm and friendly Cuban people.

Totally agree!

The cruise lines have induced such anxiety in passengers that they're terrified of "doing something wrong."

Take a deep breath...just mark the affidavit as "Support for Cuban People"....decide what you want to see and do...make any reservations or you can just walk around on your own (especially in Havana)...take some money....get off the ship....take your passport and visa to the immigration booth...exchange money...go have a wonderful adventure in Cuba!!

It's not complicated so don't let all those governmental regulations get you bogged down...as a matter of fact, stop reading them. Just go and enjoy the warm and friendly Cuban people.

Best advice, should be at the top as a stickie.

Totally agree!

I just returned from Cuba 3 days ago. You are exactly right!! Check the form and continue on!! No problems!

I just returned from Cuba 3 days ago. You are exactly right!! Check the form and continue on!! No problems!

I'm glad you had a good time in Cuba! I loved it and plan to return asap.

I was lucky....I sailed on Oceania and they made it so simple. On the affidavit, they highlighted the license to checkmark. They handed me the visa and I got on the ship. In Cuba, as I walked off the ship, they handed me a cold bottle of water and said "have a great day!" :D

So I am back (and the typo on this thread I started is painful every time I see it).

For NCL- I filled out the OFAC form online several weeks ahead of time, choosing support of Cuban people). I paid for the Visa ahead of time through NCL. Upon check in for the cruise, they put the visa in my passport. There was no mention of the OFAC form at any point during the cruise.

On the day we were in Havana, upon entry our visa was taken and our passport stamped. We could come and go after that as much as we liked- they just checked for the stamp.

I do wish I had spent more time researching Cuba rather than just making sure I was following the regulations. I had a great tour via Blexie with Raul.