Removing gratiuities - when to do it

Frontera2

No, please, please explain your comment as I am puzzled, thank you.

When I tip the waiter in a resteraunt I fold a note and hand it to him, no envelope needed and who cares who sees, as if they would be interested anyway. But board a ship and all changes. Simply stated I find the envelope ritual mildly amusing but the discrete tip in the menu really funny and weird at the same time.

And I bet the waiters laugh even louder at the antics of some passengers.

David

When I tip the waiter in a resteraunt I fold a note and hand it to him, no envelope needed and who cares who sees, as if they would be interested anyway. But board a ship and all changes. Simply stated I find the envelope ritual mildly amusing but the discrete tip in the menu really funny and weird at the same time.

Tipping in restaurants is very simple. All I do is round it up to whatever, and just hand over the readies and say "that's okay" (i.e. keep the change). Or add it onto the credit card bill if using a machine, just say "call it £whatever" if they type it in.

But of course, it's simple because of the fact that you are handing over payment, so I agree it's a bit different when on a ship because no money changes hands.

This^^^

Gee do the waiters use the same dunny as the punters????

I write a message (in code) on a napkin, then pretend that I've accidentally dropped it on the floor. When the waiter picks it up for me, they read the message (in code) and give me a knowing look.

The message will instruct them to met me in trap 2 at 23:15, where I pay them in bitcoin so it's untraceable.

I write a message (in code) on a napkin, then pretend that I've accidentally dropped it on the floor. When the waiter picks it up for me, they read the message (in code) and give me a knowing look.

The message will instruct them to met me in trap 2 at 23:15, where I pay them in bitcoin so it's untraceable.

You guys have too much time on your hands😁

To get back to the OP's original question which was when to remove gratuities: What difference does it make?

If one believes that doing so won't affect a crew member's compensation, and that crew members don't know which passengers removed them, does it make a difference if it's day 1 or day 7?

David

Well, my guess is that the crew appreciates any gratuity they receive - and the overwhelming majority of tips appear to be discreet (I say that because I've never witnessed anything "flashy").

Do they find it funny not to receive a tip? I'm sure that's a real laugh riot.

You're describing a mandatory service charge that many hotels are now charging on top of the daily rate. So the answer to your question is "many."

Not to mention that these people also return home to their homes and families every day!!

Well, my guess is that the crew appreciates any gratuity they receive - and the overwhelming majority of tips appear to be discreet (I say that because I've never witnessed anything "flashy").

Most passengers talk and laugh occasionally about their table companions and I'm sure the crew do the same.

David.

I really love these pax who try to justify removing the tips. We ALL pretty much know their intentions. I like what's been done at NCL. There you can't remove the "service charge" on board. You have to fill out a detailed form as to why the staff did NOT meet your expectations. Being in the food service field, it's so annoying when people love to stiff you when you bust your tail giving them great service. Yesterday I did 3 "drop offs". This is where I deliver a nice lunch to a party. The first 2 we got a $20 & $100 tip. The 3'rd one(the most difficult)we set up a huge Hawaiian buffet for a graduation. It was perfect. We even stayed hidden so the "grad" wouldn't see us. Great party & set up. Barely a thank you from the parents. Thank God I'm salary(and part owner)otherwise I'd never survive on the tips. The $100 tip was a "rarity". Most tips are from $10-35. These meals can cost from $300-2000+

Edited by keithm
correction

Keith

You just don't get it, do you ?

If the hospitality industry did not have such a flawed business model then you would not have to survive on tips.

It's really not hard to grasp so let me give you an example; Next week I'm having some work done on my house as it happens. I've been given a price and I've accepted it. The work will be done and I will be paying the person that agreed amount. That's what we have agreed and that is the figure. There's no if, no buts, no tips. They are doing a job of work and I will be paying them what they quoted for the job.

No one is going to "get stiffed".

Why ? because it's all been agreed. It really is THAT SIMPLE.

Keith

If the hospitality industry did not have such a flawed business model then you would not have to survive on tips.

It's really not hard to grasp so let me give you an example; Next week I'm having some work done on my house as it happens. I've been given a price and I've accepted it. The work will be done and I will be paying the person that agreed amount. That's what we have agreed and that is the figure. There's no if, no buts, no tips. They are doing a job of work and I will be paying them what they quoted for the job.

Only simple for those NOT from the US. If you're from the UK, the standards are much different than the US. The pay scales here are much lower. That's why people in our field rely on tips. The US min. wage is (nationally)$7.25/hr. For those in the food industry it's more like $4/hr. Tips are the reason it's a lower rate. It can also vary by state, but the federal mandate is $7.25/hr. So, before you say "you don't get it" Perhaps you try to "get it" yourself!

Are people saying that on top of the service charge I am expected to hand out envelopes of my hard earned cash irrespective of a service that I have already paid for twice?

In NO post anywhere on this thread was that said! Some may choose to give extra(like us) others may choose not to. You're not being coerced!

Edited by keithm
realy bad Gramma

Only simple for those NOT from the US. If you're from the UK, the standards are much different than the US. The pay scales here are much lower. That's why people in our field rely on tips. The US min. wage is (nationally)$7.25/hr. For those in the food industry it's more like $4/hr. Tips are the reason it's a lower rate. It can also vary by state, but the federal mandate is $7.25/hr. So, before you say "you don't get it" Perhaps you try to "get it" yourself!

I realise that it's different in the UK to the US, and that in the UK we do not encourage a business model that seeks to "stiff the staff" as you put it.

More over, our employment laws cover tips and they cannot be used to make up someone's wage; tips are over and above the legal minimum; i.e. they truly are a tip - they do not (and cannot legally) be relied upon to bring wages up to the legal minimum.

Just because that's what happens in the US does not make it right.

I realise that it's different in the UK to the US, and that in the UK we do not encourage a business model that seeks to "stiff the staff" as you put it.

More over, our employment laws cover tips and they cannot be used to make up someone's wage; tips are over and above the legal minimum; i.e. they truly are a tip - they do not (and cannot legally) be relied upon to bring wages up to the legal minimum.

Just because that's what happens in the US does not make it right.

Never said it's right. Just the way it is. Considering the tax structure over there: a Gallon of petrol $8+. A VAT on everything, I think I'll stay here, thank you.I do really wonder how many of your fellow citizens over there actually DO pay tips for outstanding services. From what I've seen on these forums, not too many.

The cruising industry aside from the all inclusive luxury end has based its model on pax paying a gratuity, this is not new, it has always been the case, why if everything meets expectations do people then want to go and reinvent the wheel? This thread makes just about as much sense as those passengers who come to Cunard and expect the dress code to change because it doesn't suit them. If you dont like it then find a holiday that suits.

Wonder no more Keith, my wife and I being Brits always pay over and above what's suggested to our table and cabin steward, in envelopes, on another note we don't really mind what others may think on board if they see the envelopes on the last night, not so much a flourish but just a straight outward hand motion to hand them over, and a discreet folded note on the penultimate day to anyone else on board who went over and above what was generally expected. But then I guess we feel a bit old fashioned so maybe we haven't noticed that tip etiquette may have changed.

Never said it's right. Just the way it is. Considering the tax structure over there: a Gallon of petrol $8+. A VAT on everything, I think I'll stay here, thank you.I do really wonder how many of your fellow citizens over there actually DO pay tips for outstanding services. From what I've seen on these forums, not too many.

Never seen petrol at $8+ in the UK even allowing for currency exchange rate anomaly except for perhaps on service station motorways which are far higher than in towns and only to be used in emergencies. Luckily our gallons are bigger than in the US so an unfair comparative being 4.54 litres to UK gallon where US gallon is only 3.78 litres. With regards VAT there are many items that have a zero rate and some lower than the normal 20% VAT rate. But you cannot moan about price of petrol or VAT rates in the UK and then say its a US practice to tip often and highly and cruisers from the UK must do the same saying " when in Rome do as the Romans do" then surely you must do the same when you are in the UK and purchasing petrol and paying VAT. The saying " when in Rome and do as the Romans do" applies both ways.

Keith

I think it is you who "doesn't get it"! So, using your analogy above, you have booked a cruise and entered into a contract. Part of that contract is the expectation that you will pay gratuities...that is what you have "agreed" by entering such contract. No ifs, no buts, and yes to the gratuity! Really simple, and I suspect you know you ought to pay up instead of being cheap.;)

I think it is you who "doesn't get it"! So, using your analogy above, you have booked a cruise and entered into a contract. Part of that contract is the expectation that you will pay gratuities...that is what you have "agreed" by entering such contract. No ifs, no buts, and yes to the gratuity! Really simple, and I suspect you know you ought to pay up instead of being cheap.;)

Absolutely, my thoughts exactly.