Exclusive lift for passengers with mobility issues

hollyjess

Does anyone agree with me that there should be an exclusive lift on each deck for passengers with mobility issues? My husband uses a wheelchair and find it almost impossible to use a lift after such occasions as the muster drill.

Does anyone agree with me that there should be an exclusive lift on each deck for passengers with mobility issues? My husband uses a wheelchair and find it almost impossible to use a lift after such occasions as the muster drill.

I think the issue here is not the need for a exclusive lift for disabled passengers but for fellow passengers to show some consideration for those with mobility issues. I would always give way for a wheelchair user, there but for the grace of God.......

I think the issue here is not the need for a exclusive lift for disabled passengers but for fellow passengers to show some consideration for those with mobility issues. I would always give way for a wheelchair user, there but for the grace of God.......

I personally take into consideration the needs of all the people around me, being at lifts or other places around the ship.

But some think they have a right to jump queues and push in at the buffet. Remember you can not always see the disablity

How would you police this ? My husband has a serious health complaint that means he cannot always walk more than a few yards without stopping for a rest but to most people he looks fit and healthy. He prefers to take the stairs (albeit slowly) whenever he can but in your scenario he would not be able to use one of the lifts when he is unwell because he does not have visible mobility issues or do you suggest that those with non-visible issues have a sign around their neck advertising their problems.

I sympathise with anyone in a wheelchair and hope that I am never in their position but they are not the only people who need to use lifts.

On the occasions when my husband has to take the lift and there are others waiting, he takes the lift and I use the stairs and we meet where he gets off the lift but I have noticed that the people accompanying those in wheelchairs and scooters invariably get into the lift with their less able companions (sometimes 3 or 4 people with 1 disabled person).

I don't see why able bodied passengers should be discriminated against, just because I am fit and able it doesn't mean I don't like to take it easy on holiday and the thought of traipsing up and down stairways for two weeks is not an appealing one, shaming able bodied passengers out of using lifts is becoming more and more prevalent which is out of order, wait in turn like everyone else.

Don't think it's practical to have a dedicated lift for disabled passengers. The corridors are long and they could end up having to walk some distance to get to that list. If mutual respect was shown and no barging or pushing or rudeness by either party, all would be find.

Firstly this gave me a bit of a chuckle. An "exclusive lift on each deck for passengers with mobility issues" seems a very tautological suggestion. I mean the one lift is presumably going to stop on all decks and you cannot have each deck having theirs in a different location.

Some people seem to be a bit miffed about this idea denying them an opportunity to ascend/descend or having a higher priority to use it. The problem which people with mobility problems have is mainly after muster drill when everyone wants to use the lifts, trying to get to Baytree Restaurant for fixed dining when everybody wants to use the aft bank after the need to get over the galleys which block the direct route along Deck 5. Finally disembarkation when everybody has suitcases with wheels. The "Assisted Mobility" departure lounge helps on this one.

The easiest and simplest solution I can think of is if the said passengers used a dedicated "crew only" lift near the "crew only" stairwell midships. At the moment crew have a swipe card that identifies them and calls the lift. When it arrives they simply use it. This would not help with the Baytree Restaurant issue. This might need a change to the aft lift arrangements. One of these lifts is already dedicated for Deck 19 users but also accepts all comers. I should say it might be possible on that with a bit of electrical engineering.

Don't forget that if an authorised user hailed a lift others could still get in. Another swipe card arrangement inside could keep it stationary until swiped by an authorised user. Periods of time could also be factored in when the system was functioning as opposed to it functioning all the time.

Regards John

I don't really think a dedicated lift would work, even though getting down to dinner in time is sometimes quite diffucult. Having said that, on Britannia a few weeks ago we found that the majority of people were quite happy to move to the side to allow me in the lift either on my scooter or in my wheelchair.

My wife uses a wheelchair. Most of the time we cope OK with the lifts, but when we do have problems it is not due to the availability of lifts but the attitudes of some fellow passengers. When I am not with my wife I always try to use the stairs, but many other able bodied people seem to lose the ability to use stairs the moment that they board a cruise ship, even though the distance between each floor is not much at all. The majority of people are very considerate to the needs of disabled passengers. Sadly, a small minority have an appalling attitude, an example of which was posted earlier in this thread!

As josy1953 said, how would you police this? As many others have said not all mobility issues are visible or are you suggesting that there should be a dedicated lift purely for those using mobility scooters/wheelchairs? Neither seems workable to me. If there is to be a dedicated lift for those with mobility issues then there has to be some form of qualification criteria, so does that mean having to show a certificate of some sort if you’re not visibly disabled? Such a system is simply unworkable never mind degrading for those involved

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife uses a wheelchair. Most of the time we cope OK with the lifts, but when we do have problems it is not due to the availability of lifts but the attitudes of some fellow passengers. When I am not with my wife I always try to use the stairs, but many other able bodied people seem to lose the ability to use stairs the moment that they board a cruise ship, even though the distance between each floor is not much at all. The majority of people are very considerate to the needs of disabled passengers. Sadly, a small minority have an appalling attitude, an example of which was posted earlier in this thread!

I presume your comment was aimed at me? If it was then refer directly if you don't mind, for your information disabilities aren't always as obvious as you may think, although wheelchairs/scooters are normally a good indication many people can suffer and be less able, my wife suffers from scoliosis - has a metal rod in her back and suffers chronic pain at times, she's relatively young and you may not even be aware of her disability at first sight so should those who suffer all wear a big badge? Cruise ships are becoming over run at times with wheelchairs and scooters and it's an issue that needs addressing, maybe putting in extra lifts may be an answer or even limiting the number of passengers with mobility issues onboard at any one time, who knows? I stand by my point about waiting in line for lifts though, you can't force able bodied passengers to use the stairs all week if the ships overrun with chairs and scooters.

As josy1953 said, how would you police this? As many others have said not all mobility issues are visible or are you suggesting that there should be a dedicated lift purely for those using mobility scooters/wheelchairs? Neither seems workable to me. If there is to be a dedicated lift for those with mobility issues then there has to be some form of qualification criteria, so does that mean having to show a certificate of some sort if you’re not visibly disabled? Such a system is simply unworkable never mind degrading for those involved

I disagree, P&O has a mobility department at Carnival House which as I understand it handle the customer care relating to mobility issues. In order to get a accessible cabin you go through them. In addition they could handle the issues of people who have mobility problems who do not require an adapted cabin. All this can be sorted out prior to sailing after people make a booking.

Policing the situation, as I have previously suggested could be done if people's cruise cards were enabled to operate a single dedicated crew lift as outlined. Similarly they could have a lift at the aft where Baytree creates a problem due to ship's design on Azura/Ventura. Where again electronic devices call the lift if you have an enabled cruise card. I have been to hotels where guests who have dined in the restaurant may not use the lifts which go to the hotel room floors due to security. Hotel residents swipe their room card and press a floor button and the lift works. Non-residents on their own press the lift buttons - nothing happens.

Regards John

I presume your comment was aimed at me? If it was then refer directly if you don't mind, for your information disabilities aren't always as obvious as you may think, although wheelchairs/scooters are normally a good indication many people can suffer and be less able, my wife suffers from scoliosis - has a metal rod in her back and suffers chronic pain at times, she's relatively young and you may not even be aware of her disability at first sight so should those who suffer all wear a big badge? Cruise ships are becoming over run at times with wheelchairs and scooters and it's an issue that needs addressing, maybe putting in extra lifts may be an answer or even limiting the number of passengers with mobility issues onboard at any one time, who knows? I stand by my point about waiting in line for lifts though, you can't force able bodied passengers to use the stairs all week if the ships overrun with chairs and scooters.

I totally disagree with restricting the number of disabled passengers on board. Some of these people cruise because they cannot fly because of their problems, we certainly cruise for that reason.

Cruise ships are becoming over run at times with wheelchairs and scooters and it's an issue that needs addressing, maybe putting in extra lifts may be an answer or even limiting the number of passengers with mobility issues onboard at any one time, who knows? I stand by my point about waiting in line for lifts though, you can't force able bodied passengers to use the stairs all week if the ships overrun with chairs and scooters.

P&O tightened up on the Mobility Scooter issue a while back. At one time there were a number parked over night at various public locations blocking free access. It was decided to restrict who could take a scooter on board. Firstly people who had an adapted cabin but these are few and far between (so an imposed restriction based on availability) then secondly people who had booked a mini-suite or larger cabin. This restriction limited the numbers on a financial basis but was introduced as far as I can make out on a "parking overnight" issue as you park in your cabin. I believe mobility scooters need approval by P&O on a type basis so people do not turn up in the MDR with a road going variant with a full weather cover.

It is a shame in my opinion that the cruise line do not allow large items such as mobility scooters and bicycles in the hold just for use when in port. I know some passengers would find this a major help but can manage around the ship satisfactorily otherwise.

Regards John

I agree. My husband is disabled from motorbike accident. He has one arm, breathing problems and a brain injury that leaves him confused and memory loss. He looks absolutely fine and thankfully he is reasonably mobile. Any reference to a disability assumes a person is wheelchair bound but disabilities take so many forms the ship may have to set specific criteria if they had special lifts for disabled. That would cause complaints re equal access etc. In my experience most people respect the needs of a wheelchair user or anyone who needs a mobility aid but maybe that's just my assumption. I get a bit cross when some people in wheelchairs/mobility scooters assume they have more rights than the able bodied and charge around with little thought for fellow passengers. Mutual respect is what is required not special lifts. Personally I use the stairs so that I can burn off a few calories before the next round of food.

Just to throw this in to the mix, what about families with babies in push chairs? Getting on & off at ports can be a nightmare for the same reasons but in no way would we class ourselves as disabled or with mobility issues. Muster isn’t an issue, or dashing to the theatre, but we have had to miss lifts regularly because they are full. It’s especially frustrating when you see people going up or down just the 1 floor (ah the joy of glass lifts and watching people press the button for the next floor).

In no way am I saying that it’s all down to laziness as I realise there are a multitude of reasons people can’t manage the stairs that are not obvious, but surely not every occasion. Especially returning from an excursion.

Moan over, happy cruising everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally disagree with restricting the number of disabled passengers on board. Some of these people cruise because they cannot fly because of their problems, we certainly cruise for that reason.

Just for the record I wasn't advocating that view it was just a suggestion.

Generally I would expect people to board in turn. First to arrive, then first in the lift and so on. I would not expect a passenger in a wheel chair to have priority (or expect them to wait until the last). Perhaps with the exception of after the safety presentation before departure. I might make an exception if there was only room for me or the passenger in a wheelchair. I might volunteer to give way then.

I did give way to a passenger in a wheelchair on Oriana and the other four family member pushed ahead of me too.

The worst I saw on Oriana was boarding a lift. The passenger with the wheelchair was first to arrive but not to board the lift. After we all had boarded and the alarm went off. People expected the passenger in the wheelchair to leave. I got out but it was not enough to stop the alarm.

The real problem is on modern ships there are two many passengers. Too few lifts, that are two small and too slow. That leads to the tension we occasionally see. One ship I cruised on we had a cabin at the stern above the restaurant entrance. There were four very fast lifts and We rarely shared a lift with other passengers. It felt a bit odd I wondered if the ship was not full or everybody else had been kidnapped.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think P&O really have to give this topic serious consideration as a large percentage of their regular cruisers, who cruise from Southampton, are in the elder age range and getting older. With that comes increased infirmity.

If they are to address the issue then perhaps, absurd as it may seem, escalators should replace stairs which would free up the lifts for the wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

I think this post nails it, whenever use a lift if we think there is someone who may need it more we gladly give up a space, whilst disabilities aren't always visible I do watch out for people who struggle and the opportunity to help in some way.

Slightly off-topic but today on Britannia there were huge queues in Tenerife to embark, in very hot conditions. There were at least 10 wheelchairs queued for ages waiting to be let on, so when it came to our turn I suggested they be let on first. The staff at the bottom were saying are you sure? Were they before you? My husband replied it doesn't matter let them on. Once the staff inside realised the situation they opened the other side of the ramp for the chairs - a clear lack of communication on the ground.

As Crystaltips said - but there for the grace of God. Young, fit and healthy people in the queue seemed to think people in the chairs had the easy option. No thought for the difficulties that they experience that most of us take for granted - let alone for the pushers in the blistering heat [emoji53]