Prince William Sound glacier "day" cruises

Wrangler1

I am visiting Anchorage Alaska the second week in July and staying a with a relative. I would like to take one of the Prince William sound day cruises during the week .... which one? should I book it in advance? Should I take the train from Anchorage to Whittier instead of driving? I will have a rental car but the train trip looks nice and I heard you have to time going thru a tunnel.

Any comments or advice about the Prince William Sound glacier day cruises would be appreciated !

I would rent a car in order to enjoy other sights/activities along the Turnagain Arm. However if your relative is going to take you sightseeing, the train would be a nice option.

In the link posted by akstafford, there's a virtual drive you may find interesting.

I've taken a few day cruises out of Seward, but not from Whittier. From my research, i'd choose Major Marine ovef Philips 26 Glacier.......i dont want to rush past 26 glaciers; I prefer a leisurely pace whers we are able to stop and enjoy wildlife or wait for a glacier to calve. And i'd choose the Blackstone tour ....covers more territory so more chances to spot wildlife.

There is a recent trip report that includes a PWS cruise.

And you can find others by using the SEARCH tool. Do searches with the words 'blackstone' then 'surprise'.

I would rent a car in order to enjoy other sights/activities along the Turnagain Arm. However if your relative is going to take you sightseeing, the train would be a nice option.

In the link posted by akstafford, there's a virtual drive you may find interesting.

I've taken a few day cruises out of Seward, but not from Whittier. From my research, i'd choose Major Marine ovef Philips 26 Glacier.......i dont want to rush past 26 glaciers; I prefer a leisurely pace whers we are able to stop and enjoy wildlife or wait for a glacier to calve. And i'd choose the Blackstone tour ....covers more territory so more chances to spot wildlife.

There is a recent trip report that includes a PWS cruise.

And you can find others by using the SEARCH tool. Do searches with the words 'blackstone' then 'surprise'.

Take a look at a map- the Blackstone routes cover the LEAST "territory", with Surprise Glacier going through a consistent sea otter area, plus the scenic sailing of Ester Passage. Overall, I've never seen a lot of wildlife on these tours.