Do We Dock or Tender???

iluvbkk

It could be either one. There are only spots for a couple of ships to dock; the others tender. I don't think there is any set arrangement, more like "first come, first served."

Just prepare for either one. If you dock, you can take a shuttle bus or boat to the town. If you tender, you end up right in town.

Does anyone know if Rhapsody of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) docks or tenders at Mykonos? We will be there this October and I'm trying to figure out logistics. Thanks

You may not know till the last minute. We were scheduled to dock on the Royal Princess and only the afternoon before did it change to a tender port. Had to change some plans on the fly but all worked out. You might want to have both plan A and B .

We are on the October 14 Rhapsody sailing. Logging on to RCCL website and going to the My Cruises - Detail page, it shows us Tendered in Mykonos (and Kotor).

We are in port with the Mein Schiff 2 whom I assume will take the dock.

I know this can change but I hope not. In Mykonos, I would prefer to Tender than use the shuttle bus to town.

Been to mykonos recently on QV. The first time that we used the dock. 4 or 5 times before we tendered.

As someone mentioned, it seems to be a first come, first docked scenario. There were 4 ships scheduled on that day, but only us and one other ship made it due to high winds. It was ok for the ships, but the problem would have been for the tender boats, ship to shore. We were watching them using tenders and it did look easy in the morning, but in the afternoon the tenders were bobbing around like corks.

Now, getting from the dock to town:

Our cruise line put on free shuttles from the dock to NEAR the town. Sort of 3/4 ofcthe way there. From the bus parking station to town itself it was then a fairly long walk. Perhaps a 15 minute stroll, a bit uphill, downhill on partly uneven surface.

Directly by the dock was also a ferry boat that took you directly into the town pier. Cost 2 Euro p.p. one way.

A nice ride and they left frequently.

Rather than waiting in line with 800 people for a free bus ride, we took the ferry as it was just about to leave...

I THINK there is also a regular public bus at/near the cruise ship pier, according to our ships newsletter, but I could not see it.

There were several taxis waiting, most of them holding up signs offering sightseeing tours as well.

Edited by buchhalm
Extra info...

We missed the port of Mykonos entirely also on an October cruise due to high winds. We sailed slowly on to Athens. Big disappointment.

Yes, that is always a disappointment!! Happened to us in Sicily and I had a private tour planned which I was fortunate to cancel.

We are on the October 14 Rhapsody sailing. Logging on to RCCL website and going to the My Cruises - Detail page, it shows us Tendered in Mykonos (and Kotor).

We are in port with the Mein Schiff 2 whom I assume will take the dock.

I know this can change but I hope not. In Mykonos, I would prefer to Tender than use the shuttle bus to town.

I agree! I would much rather tender in. We've been there twice and always tendered in...part of the experience. And then you are right there!

Been to mykonos recently on QV. The first time that we used the dock. 4 or 5 times before we tendered.

As someone mentioned, it seems to be a first come, first docked scenario. There were 4 ships scheduled on that day, but only us and one other ship made it due to high winds. It was ok for the ships, but the problem would have been for the tender boats, ship to shore. We were watching them using tenders and it did look easy in the morning, but in the afternoon the tenders were bobbing around like corks.

Now, getting from the dock to town:

Our cruise line put on free shuttles from the dock to NEAR the town. Sort of 3/4 ofcthe way there. From the bus parking station to town itself it was then a fairly long walk. Perhaps a 15 minute stroll, a bit uphill, downhill on partly uneven surface.

Directly by the dock was also a ferry boat that took you directly into the town pier. Cost 2 Euro p.p. one way.

A nice ride and they left frequently.

Rather than waiting in line with 800 people for a free bus ride, we took the ferry as it was just about to leave...

I THINK there is also a regular public bus at/near the cruise ship pier, according to our ships newsletter, but I could not see it.

There were several taxis waiting, most of them holding up signs offering sightseeing tours as well.

The ferry sounds better!

We were in Mykonos yesterday- there is only space for one ship to dock. Our ship docked and another 2 cruise ships were tendered. The ship docks at the new port and the tenders go to the old port (only a mile or so apart). We were only informed the night before that we would dock rather than tender, so you probably won't know until the last minute!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be on the Rhapsody on Saturday and going to Kotor on 23rd August arriving at 7am.

Our cruise details says tendered so will get back to as to whether we actually did.

Rhapsody tendered on the 23rd, it was quite windy but the boats ran, they did warn people it might be a bit rough and there were sick bags (my wife immediately got off as she suffers badly from travel sickness), once the tender started moving it was actually very smooth.

Tender goes into the old town, which does have a small beach,we went to the Archaeological Museum, Modern Art and had a cheap gyros :)