Wine experts, I REALLY need help!

jimmy2x

I thought I was the only one!:confused::eek::)

On the Total Wine front -- I don't know if it is just our Total Wine (they recently bought out a local wine store), or if this is common at all of them, but sign up for whatever they are calling their email club this week. (I've seen two different names for it since they opened in my area.)

Since you have a few weeks before your trip, you may get an email coupon for some money off your purchase pre-cruise.

You can also apply those coupons before you ever leave home, and have your order waiting for you at the desk when you enter the store. We often place our orders online and pop in to pick up a case or two. The only two cautions I would add are to: (1) Make sure you check what you ordered against what is in the box. Mix ups are rare, but they happen. (2) If you want a specific vintage, make sure you indicate that vintage substitution is NOT allowed. This might not apply in every situation, but if you're picky about what you're buying, you don't want the year to be wrong.

About 40 years ago, all California wine (such as Gallo) was considered cheap junk, and European wine was the only wine that was socially acceptable. This was before anyone had heard of wine from Australia or NZ. At that time California wine bottles all had screw tops, while European wine had corks. It became a simple way to tell good wine from bad - the good stuff had corks while the cheap stuff had screw tops.

The cheap wine makers very soon learned if they used corks, they could pass for a better class of wine. So for many years pretty much all wine had corks. Eventually, California wine became known for quality, and so did Australian and NZ wine.

At some point, someone realized that pulling corks is a hassle and screw tops started reappearing, mostly on finer wine.

But some people still remember the old days when screw tops meant cheap wine, and they have to be re-educated.

That's more like 50-60 years ago. Good California wine, though, had always had a cork (think Sebastiani, Buena Vista, etc.) In the 70's the premium small wineries came along and they also had corks.

By the time OZ and NZ quality wines were coming in, cork was both very expensive and less available so inferior quality cork was being used. This lead to more spoiled wine.

The so-called "Stelvin closure" (named for the company which pioneered them) is a far cry from the screw caps used on Thunderbird, Bali Hai, Boone's Farm, et al which were adapted from whiskey closures.

That's more like 50-60 years ago. Good California wine, though, had always had a cork (think Sebastiani, Buena Vista, etc.) In the 70's the premium small wineries came along and they also had corks.

By the time OZ and NZ quality wines were coming in, cork was both very expensive and less available so inferior quality cork was being used. This lead to more spoiled wine.

The so-called "Stelvin closure" (named for the company which pioneered them) is a far cry from the screw caps used on Thunderbird, Bali Hai, Boone's Farm, et al which were adapted from whiskey closures.

I think I had my first taste of wine in 1970, and being a young man with little money, I was unaware of any premium wines. So, all I saw were California wines with screw tops that sold for less than $2 per bottle (1/5th of a gallon). Sometimes my friends and I would get a gallon of some cheap wine for less than $5. (1970's dollars)

I never saw a wine with a cork until cheap wines started using them too.

I do have a little better taste in wines now, but I could never make myself pay more than $25 per bottle.

I recently read corks will be all but extinct within a decade on wine. Old holdouts will realize screw caps are actually better for the wine.

There are still a fair number of producers who insist on solid cork, usually at the high end of the market. After that, you have all the wineries who use composite corks (cork, but not one solid piece.)

If you're buying wine with the intention of laying it down for years, I would go for cork. Otherwise, I don't think it matters.

http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/45520

I'm sure people will work out the logistics of aging under Stelvin closures in a couple of years. However, I doubt that there's a group of aging, racking, and riddling people here*, so drink what makes you happy.

*Not to be confused with aged, creaking & wobbly. ;)

About 40 years ago, all California wine (such as Gallo) was considered cheap junk, and European wine was the only wine that was socially acceptable. This was before anyone had heard of wine from Australia or NZ. At that time California wine bottles all had screw tops, while European wine had corks. It became a simple way to tell good wine from bad - the good stuff had corks while the cheap stuff had screw tops.

The cheap wine makers very soon learned if they used corks, they could pass for a better class of wine. So for many years pretty much all wine had corks. Eventually, California wine became known for quality, and so did Australian and NZ wine.

At some point, someone realized that pulling corks is a hassle and screw tops started reappearing, mostly on finer wine.

But some people still remember the old days when screw tops meant cheap wine, and they have to be re-educated.

Thank you for that! You learn something every day!! :)