How DO we get a driver for Puerto Plata?

jeepers13

We're not usually ones for excursions, we prefer to find a driver or rent a car to see much of and what we want to in a country. There are a number of things we'd like to see/do in Puerto Plata, so a car either way is what we'd like.

I emailed four different drivers I found online for Puerto Plata over a month ago. We haven't heard from one of them.

The other option is to rent a car. There is in fact a rental agency right at Amber Cove. However, everything I've read says that driving in Puerto Plata is a nightmare. It's a sizeable city, and I don't want to get lost or run into scary traffic situations, so I think this option is out.

Does anyone know if one can rent a taxi driver at Amber Cove for the day? We've tried this a few times, and it's worked out lovely. Would love to know if that's an option here.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last week and rented a taxi for 7 of us for $90 for 3 hours. He asked where we would like to go. We started with the cable car ride. It was $8.00 p/p round trip. You definitely don't want to rent a car. There were motorcycles every where with crazy drivers. Make sure you ask for a taxi driver who can speak English. They are lined up as soon as you leave the port area.

That is good to know, thank you for the information.

I've emailed half a dozen or so agents I've found online. Only one replied, and he cannot guarantee us an English-speaking driver.

I was hoping we could grab a taxi at the pier, so this is good to hear.

I just heard back again from the one person who responded. He offered us a van for $200 for four hours +$50/hour additional. He could not guarantee and English-speaking driver.

Has anyone else been able to catch a cab at Amber Cove?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m researching the same thing...I keep reading advice to catch a cab outside the entrance to Amber cove, less expensive than inside. One I read, the guy claims he paid $30 USD for a full tour with stops at cable thing, beach, and fort.

• 3 weeks later...

We took a tour, but saw many cabs lined up outside the port entrance. I would not recommend driving. The road in front of the port is nice, but away from that area, not so much. As mentioned above, lots of motorcycles passing (on both sides), cars passing on hills with no way to see what is coming , etc. In other words, typical driving in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

When you leave the port area, there is a parade of taxis. What no one has mentioned is that there is a coordinator who matches what you want to do with cabbies. Look for him. We wanted to see primitive native art in Puerto Plata, quite nearby. We also wanted a cabbie who spoke English. We were told the cabbie spoke English - In actuality, the only English he really spoke was "my name is Raoul." But that really wasn't any problem. He was lovely and took us to gallery/store after store. Nice 3 hour diversion. I had downloaded several pictures from the web featuring the kinds of paintings I wanted to see and he hit the nail on the head as to the shops he took us to. I recommend you take pix of things you want to see in case you get a driver whose English is limited. It was truly a wonderful morning in an absolutely beautiful country.