Passport card or book ?

CheifM

Why did they have to take his picture? Isn't there already a picture in the passport card?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

There is a picture on there, but they told us they couldn't scan it. Other ports may have different technology, but I'm not going to bother trying to find out beforehand, we'll just bring his passport book so we don't have to bother with it.

There is a picture on there, but they told us they couldn't scan it. Other ports may have different technology, but I'm not going to bother trying to find out beforehand, we'll just bring his passport book so we don't have to bother with it.

When we returned from Asia this summer, the kiosk-thing at SFO couldn't scan SWMBO's passport book. The immigration officer had to enter the info manually and take her picture with the webcam. Afterwards I thought, "What about the RFID chip?"

Should I just pay for the book and be done with it?

Yes.

Are you travelling with people without drivers licenses? They could use passport cards as government issued picture id when flying inside the US. Anytime outside the US borders, I would never travel without my passport book.

Here's an unrelated passport fact for all those who love getting them stamped in interesting places:

If you're one of those folks treating a passport as some sort of "memento autographed" book, you already know that among the most sought after entries are hard copy visas (e.g., the piece of art that is a PRC visa).

Increasingly, countries that use "paper" visa inserts, are switching to ETAs, which will further endanger your "autograph hunting." In fact, looks like the next one to "bite the dust" will be Brazil (US citizens will start getting ETAs in late January, 2018).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Card saves you $80 over the book for first timers.

And if next month, you decide you REALLY want to do that Med cruise, you get to pay for the book, with no discount for having the card.

Is it really worth $8 per year????

It is funny, I am in Europe right now, and almost everyone has a passport. And they carry them pretty much all the time. Only US have this concern and questioning. :D

Clean or not, a BC will not get you on an international flight.

Doesn’t matter. I was only replying what the minimum they need to go on their cruise with Carnival.

Thousands Of people cruise without a passport each year without any issues. I always cruise with one and advocate cruising with one but only stating what the minimum is required

If they feel comfortable in taking the risk of traveling without one that’s their decision

Doesn’t matter. I was only replying what the minimum they needs to go on their cruise with Carnival. Thousands Of people cruise without a passport each year without any issues. I always advocate using one but only stating what the minimum is required

Like travel insurance: don't need it until you need it. Folks who forgo a passport (or insurance) when traveling internationally are "pennywise and pound foolish."

Like travel insurance: don't need it until you need it. Folks who forgo a passport (or insurance) when traveling internationally are "pennywise and pound foolish."

And I always purchased travel insurance as well. But again it is not a requirement. If they feel comfortable taking the risk cruising without either, that onus is on them. Thousands if not hundreds of thousands have cruisd without either without any issues, but that doesn’t mean that there won’t be one - That is the risk they have to determine whether they will take or not

And I always purchased travel insurance as well. But again it is not a requirement. If they feel comfortable taking the risk cruising without either, that onus is on them. Thousands if not hundreds of thousands have cruisd without either without any issues, but that doesn’t mean that there won’t be one - That is the risk they have to determine whether they will take or not

What you're seeming to forget is that many of these folks are putting their own penny pinching needs in front of what's best for those who may have no say (I.e., family members - particularly children.)

Consider that a Passport is good for 10 years, which is a long time...especially if you are young. There is no substitute for a Passport book, which allows you to travel freely just about anywhere in the world. A Passport card if very limited in its use. Unless money is a major issue we would always suggest a regular Passport (book). If you are absolutely certain you will not be using a Passport for the next 10 years, and money is a major consideration then perhaps you can make a case for the card. You might want to consider that you cannot even fly to Canada or Mexico with simply a Passport card. The card is very useful for those that live near the Canadian or Mexican borders and do a lot of driving over those borders. If you are taking a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean, you can make a case that using a Birth Certificate (plus government picture ID) is just as effective as a Passport card..and costs nothing. We have never understood the justification for getting a Passport Card for the sole purpose of cruising.

The reality is that if something happens when you are cruising in Mexico or the Caribbean, that Passport Card is really no better than the Birth Certificate since neither is valid to fly home.

Hank

Again - it doesn’t matter what you or I say. It is their decision to make.

The simple fact of the matter is that the bare minimum requirement that is needed to cruise on Carnival is a Gov’t issued photo ID and a clean photocopy of their BC. Period. We can only recommend what they should have but its not a requirement, and only our opinions.

I always advocate cruising with a passport book and travel insurance as being prudent, but if the OP or any others decide to take the risk of cruising without either, that is their right and you have to respect it, regardless of what you or I think or whether you agree with it or not.

Edited by Herfnerd

Ok, so along this line, I have a question. I noticed that when I went to check in online to RCL that it wouldn't accept anything but a passport number and expiration date or an enhanced DL. My party is all traveling with full passports, so it makes no difference, but as my youngest son had to make a point to get his from his dad, I did wonder that we wouldn't have been able to check in online without it. If he hadn't had a passport, would we just have to wait to check him in at the cruise terminal?

Been using a passport card for 7 Years with no problems yet. The advantage to getting the book is if the ship has problems sometimes they will fly people with passport books back to port. the ones without it have to stick with the ship.

Not so. Witness the recent return to NYC of 2,000+ passengers by air from NCL Gem. Authorities recognize emergencies both individual and collective. While there may be some paperwork and delay, US citizens will be able to return home regardless of the trip origin.

Thanks for all the replies!!. I was going to go cheap and just bring the BC's.I then though about just getting the cards but I will more than likely just get the books. I guess it's better to have them just in case something does happen. I hope to visit Europe sometime in the near future and that would be one less thing on that checklist.

If cost is not an issue, passport books are the way to go. But you will have to take another piece of government photo id if you plan to leave the passport on the ship when going ashore. Entry to cruise terminals is controlled and typically one must present ship card and official photo id to gain entry.

Which is why a passport card is so convenient. It can be the only document needed. It's waterproof and easily carried.

The argument that a passport book would be required in an emergency is a bit of a red herring. While the book will make things much easier, the card would not be a bar to returning home.

Again - it doesn’t matter what you or I say. It is their decision to make.

The simple fact of the matter is that the bare minimum requirement that is needed to cruise on Carnival is a Gov’t issued photo ID and a clean photocopy of their BC. Period. We can only recommend what they should have but its not a requirement, and only our opinions.

I always advocate cruising with a passport book and travel insurance as being prudent, but if the OP or any others decide to take the risk of cruising without either, that is their right and you have to respect it, regardless of what you or I think or whether you agree with it or not.

This is not a Carnival thread, so their position as the only line that accepts copies of birth certificates, is certainly not universal truth for the majority of cruisers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Ok, so along this line, I have a question. I noticed that when I went to check in online to RCL that it wouldn't accept anything but a passport number and expiration date or an enhanced DL. My party is all traveling with full passports, so it makes no difference, but as my youngest son had to make a point to get his from his dad, I did wonder that we wouldn't have been able to check in online without it. If he hadn't had a passport, would we just have to wait to check him in at the cruise terminal?

You can choose birth certificate when completing online check in. It asks for the state of birth, and then for the second ID state and number.

This is not a Carnival thread, so their position as the only line that accepts copies of birth certificates, is certainly not universal truth for the majority of cruisers.

You are correct - this is not a Carnival thread but a general one regarding cruising - However, the question is a Carnival related one. Not sure I understand that comment

My response(s) were a direct reply to the OP who was asking a question regarding their upcoming Carnival cruise, in which I gave a reply and in this case, it is pertinent to their situation

And MANY of those who do not buy cruise insurance were on CC complaining about issues during the hurricane rush. :D

And MANY of those who do not buy cruise insurance were on CC complaining about issues during the hurricane rush. :D

Yeah, but that’s still on then and their poor decision making. If it’s not mandatory to have than people won’t always buy it and they have no one to blame by themselves

But you’d still have to find and take time to get to that office.

We have friends that travel with the passport card but the do not travel or cruise internationally except the 3day cruise out of Los Angeles. Ensenada is a 4-5 hour drive from Los Angeles.

Maybe, maybe not. The last thread that I read concerning the issue was a passenger leaving the ship for a medical issue in Mexico. They went to the airport and boarded the plane home. It may not be that easy in every circumstance but I don't see why it shouldn't be if one's final destination is the US.

Except that the DHS regulations, which establish the minimum standard to be met, does specify that an "original or copy" of a birth certificate may be used. I have read numerous threads where the passenger's cruise was saved by the faxing of the birth certificate to the cruise port.

Consider that a Passport is good for 10 years, which is a long time...especially if you are young. There is no substitute for a Passport book, which allows you to travel freely just about anywhere in the world. A Passport card if very limited in its use. Unless money is a major issue we would always suggest a regular Passport (book). If you are absolutely certain you will not be using a Passport for the next 10 years, and money is a major consideration then perhaps you can make a case for the card. You might want to consider that you cannot even fly to Canada or Mexico with simply a Passport card. The card is very useful for those that live near the Canadian or Mexican borders and do a lot of driving over those borders. If you are taking a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean, you can make a case that using a Birth Certificate (plus government picture ID) is just as effective as a Passport card..and costs nothing. We have never understood the justification for getting a Passport Card for the sole purpose of cruising.

The reality is that if something happens when you are cruising in Mexico or the Caribbean, that Passport Card is really no better than the Birth Certificate since neither is valid to fly home.

Hank

We traveled on our first few cruises with just birth certificates and DW's naturalization certificate. When I found out how much it cost to replace the nat cert if something happened to it I decided that we needed something else for cruising since even a simple water spill at the wrong time could cost us $350. We debated between the passport card and the EDL since our state issues them and decided on the EDL because we always carry our licenses with us and it would be one less thing to carry. Even if we didn't live 8 miles from the border we still would have wanted to have a more durable document handy to prevent having to carry an expensive document with us and would have opted for a passport card in that instance.