Sony a6000 series lens (APS-C) question

markeb

I still haven't found an active Sony photography forum; my Canon days were spent on Photography on the Net, which was and is very good for Canon (a little snippy towards newbies, but that's kind of normal...). However, the photography subforum on a cruise forum is actually pretty active!

I enjoy macro photography, mostly of inanimate objects, and mostly faces and movements of mechanical watches. This is a sign of two expensive illnesses that will eventually probably require therapy. But that's not the question!

Anyone here have any experience with Sony E-mount macro lenses? The two that most interest me are both pricey (surprise). One is a Zeiss-Tuitt at 50mm f/2.8 and is a native APS-C lens. The other is a Sony G 90mm f/2.8. During the season, both are approximately the same price. I am almost pathologically drawn to the Zeiss, and it is a theoretically better fit for the crop camera. The Sony seems to have very good reviews. It's larger, as it's a full-frame lens. I picked up a Vello adapter for my Canon macro, but it really hunts (a lot) for focus, and I'm not sure I'm ready to go the metabones route to adapt a lens that cost me less than the adapter...

Any thoughts or experience from the Sony crowd here? Obviously this is a simple decision if I think I'm going full-frame anytime soon, but I don't know that!

I personally use a Minolta A-mount 100mm f/2.8 macro adapted with a LA-EA1 adapter. I use it on full manual and since I only use it when shooting actual macro subjects, I never miss having autofocus. Even when I was shooting with it on film cameras 25 years ago, I quickly learned that macro subjects were usually best approached with manual focusing.

If I were in the market right now, I would go for the Sony 90mm f/2.8 G (SEL90M28G). The $1k price tag is daunting but the test reviews show it to be an exceptional performer.

Here is a comprehensive test from a couple of years ago:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/sony/fe-90mm-f2.8-macro-g-oss-sel90m28g/review/

Zeiss has a great name but the newer Sony E-mount lenses, especially the G and G-Master lenses, are right at the top of their respective classes.

Dave

I actually have the Zeiss, but I very very rarely use it. When it came down to it I prefer the macro fixed zoom of my Nikon and the Zeiss is large enough to negate the size benefits of the 6000 for travel. When I do use it, the image quality is excellent. I would need to dig through collections to find one taken with it though.

Thanks!

I'm probably leaning towards the Sony. I had the opportunity to see both of them at B&H over the weekend. The Zeiss is obviously much smaller, but the reviews on the Sony have all been excellent.

Oh, and I agree Dave on the manual focus. The Canon just didn't "feel right" on the Vello adapter. I can't explain that any better. Which has me looking at native glass.