Your room steward might really be spying on you.

whogo

I watched a cruise program the other day where the ship's doctor unofficially surveyed the ship's wellness by polling the head housekeeper for reports of passenger illness. He also checked how cold remedies were selling in the onboard shops. Might make more sense to do it officially, require cabin stewards to report signs of illness, keep track of which cabins exhibit signs of coughing, sneezing, or worse. Look for trends and maybe limit norovirus outbreaks. Cruise ship medical staff could check on ill patients who do not report to the medical center.

I can understand the doctor wanting to keep an eye on passenger health. The bit about cold remedies is somewhat misleading, though, isn’t it? As far as I know, no one is asking passengers to report cold symptoms the same way they’re supposed to report Noro symptoms.

I watched a cruise program the other day where the ship's doctor unofficially surveyed the ship's wellness by polling the head housekeeper for reports of passenger illness. He also checked how cold remedies were selling in the onboard shops. Might make more sense to do it officially, require cabin stewards to report signs of illness, keep track of which cabins exhibit signs of coughing, sneezing, or worse. Look for trends and maybe limit norovirus outbreaks. Cruise ship medical staff could check on ill patients who do not report to the medical center.

Interesting.

And you believe everything you see on TV cruise programs? More likely the steward is hiding a secret security camera in your room so he can watch what you are doing in your room 24/7. He then gets a bonus for everything interesting that he finds and reports to management. NOT!!!!

DON

The doctor was checking for wellness, not necessarily noro. The cruise was aboard the Artania with German speaking passengers. Some cruisers may not have wanted to report and be quarantined, don't know if there were any out of pocket expenses in a trip to the doctor.

I do not know how our cabin steward knew one one of our cruises not only that one of us had been seasick, but which one of us had been seasick.

If any of you want to follow along with a cruise series in German: http://www.daserste.de/information/reportage-dokumentation/verrueckt-nach-meer/index.html Verrückt nach Meer or "Crazy about the Sea", aboard an around the world voyage in 2015. There are some behind the scenes segments from the bridge, kitchen, infirmary and elsewhere. In one episode a member of the cruise director's staff was filling out a thousand Panama Canal certificates by hand. Wouldn't you love that job?

And you believe everything you see on TV cruise programs? More likely the steward is hiding a secret security camera in your room so he can watch what you are doing in your room 24/7. He then gets a bonus for everything interesting that he finds and reports to management. NOT!!!!

DON

Of course NOT!!!! He would get more money selling "juicy" videos to low-brow supermarket tabloids. :-)

I just got off a TA, 14 day cruise, I got on well, 2 am first night I came down with a cold, I always back over the counter meds so started taking right away. I was on an 8 hour airline flight - women next to me was sick. 10 days later after I got sick, my husband did as well. We basically stayed to ourselves... but I realized half the ship was coughing... was very apparent in the theater.