Electrical outlet question

neeliec

Do the electrical outlets on the ships accommodate 3-prong plugs or do I need to bring an adapter?

I want to be able to plug a 3-prong device into an outlet in the cabin (Island Princess mini suite).

Thanks.

Do the electrical outlets on the ships accommodate 3-prong plugs or do I need to bring an adapter?

I want to be able to plug a 3-prong device into an outlet in the cabin (Island Princess mini suite).

Thanks.

As I recall they only accommodate the North American standard 2 prong plug.

Thanks.

Just wondering, what are you bringing that still has this type of plug and light enough to carry on?

Hi...it's just a small compact power strip. It has 4 outlets but it has the 3-prong, grounded plug since is has some kind of built in surge protection.

Just wondering, what are you bringing that still has this type of plug and light enough to carry on?

Thanks for the info! I've tossed an adapter plug into the bag of stuff I've started to accumulate for the trip in Sept. :D

As I recall they only accommodate the North American standard 2 prong plug.

OK. As I recall, there was a posting here on one of the boards about someone taking an “old school” power strip like that. On the second day they had a knock at the door from a security officer and an engineer.

As it happens, ship’s electrical systems are VERY delicate. The “surge protection” of the strip in question set off alerts somewhere in the ship. They “located” the “problem” and removed it from the cabin. Less than an hour later, a replacement power strip, minus the “protection” was delivered back to their cabin.

I’m not saying anything like this will happen with your cruise, just to be aware of what might happen.

Hi again....thanks for the heads up on that! I'm curious as to what types of power strips might be out there that don't use the 3-prong plug.

You're calling this configuration "old school," so is there some new product out there that will plug into a standard 2 prong plug? I'd sure like to find out about it. I don't care about surge protection....just want to be able to plug multiple chargers, etc., into an outlet in our room.

Thanks!

OK. As I recall, there was a posting here on one of the boards about someone taking an “old school” power strip like that. On the second day they had a knock at the door from a security officer and an engineer.

Have been using a Power Strip or a multi-outlet gizmo that plugs in directly without any problems. Both have a surge protection and both need 3-prong. The earlier post was correct -- one needs a 3-prong adapter. What the adapter also does is that it creates a gap between the desk outlet and back "wall" so I can plug in the multi-outlet directly although it does not have any cord. My multi-outlet has outlets on the sides as well as in the front. Some minis have 2 outlets -- desk and another one .

Two prong, one slightly larger than the other. The cord is 6" to 24" and only thicker than what you would find in the kitchen. The purpose is for a light duty extension cord.

What you originally described is for a heavy duty permanent installation. I have a couple of these in the garage and was going to pack one on our first cruise. I changed out for more compact style and it has served its purpose without a problem for years.

What I have is a Monster-brand "outlets to go" power strip with 4 outlets. It's small....about 18 inches long including the cord when opened up. The "power strip" part is only about 6 inches long and has 2 outlets on each side. When stored or packed the 3 prong plug plugs into one of its own outlets, making for a compact little package of around 7" x 2". But it DOES have a 3-prong plug that must go into a wall outlet.

Two prong, one slightly larger than the other. The cord is 6" to 24" and only thicker than what you would find in the kitchen. The purpose is for a light duty extension cord.

What you originally described is for a heavy duty permanent installation. I have a couple of these in the garage and was going to pack one on our first cruise. I changed out for more compact style and it has served its purpose without a problem for years.

Thanks sultan....I think my little power strip will work for me as long as I bring along an adapter to plug it into the outlets in the cabin.

Have been using a Power Strip or a multi-outlet gizmo that plugs in directly without any problems. Both have a surge protection and both need 3-prong. The earlier post was correct -- one needs a 3-prong adapter. What the adapter also does is that it creates a gap between the desk outlet and back "wall" so I can plug in the multi-outlet directly although it does not have any cord. My multi-outlet has outlets on the sides as well as in the front. Some minis have 2 outlets -- desk and another one .

We were on the Island Princess last summer in a Minisuite and the outlets are three prong GROUNDED. They were the same on the Caribbean Princess. You should not have a problem with your grounded devices and no need for the adapter, but if it makes you feel better to take it, do so.

I concur with the Monster Outlets to Go cost $19.95. It has four outlets and is pretty compact. They are at Radio Shack and also Best Buy. They might be otehr places as well.

We were on the Island Princess last summer in a Minisuite and the outlets are three prong GROUNDED. They were the same on the Caribbean Princess. You should not have a problem with your grounded devices and no need for the adapter.

Does anyone know if all cabins on the CB have three prong grounded outlets? Asking because we are on her in a month and in balcony, not a mini.;)

Your saying the cabins don't have 3 prong outlets aka outlets with grounds? That seems awfully strange to have electrical outlets on a boat with no ground.

I guess people electrocuting themselves isn't really a concern after all there is not a high chance of getting wet while holding something plugged in, and even less chance of getting wet from water that has high salt content aka way more conductive than normal water.

weird. guess i'll just break off the ground, no worries!

As it happens, ship’s electrical systems are VERY delicate. The “surge protection” of the strip in question set off alerts somewhere in the ship. They “located” the “problem” and removed it from the cabin. Less than an hour later, a replacement power strip, minus the “protection” was delivered back to their cabin.

I’m not saying anything like this will happen with your cruise, just to be aware of what might happen.

This information can not be too accurate, most likely misunderstood. You can not detect surge protection on a power strip. Surge protection is centralized to the other side of the power in the strip and either tries to stabilize the voltage or cut it off. That will not cause any effects back down the outlet.

I am more thinking the issue was there was either too much plugged into the strip OR.....

the misunderstanding is that you meant to say UPS power strip not protection, which makes a lot more sense in relation to the cause and reaction you have stated. Plugging a ups strip like you get at staples will cause a high drain on the cabins outlet and could set off alarms of too high of a current draw which could result in someone knocking on your cabin removing your ups power strip and giving you a normal power strip. Otherwise this makes no sense.

A UPS Strip has the battery in it to maintain power on loss or low/high voltage situations, which will cause a high drain on your cabins electrical supply.

Read this:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/ready.jsp

In there you will find they encourage you to bring an extension chord since there is only one outlet per cabin.

Also here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/during_cruise/board.jsp

one 110 volt - 60 cycle with STANDARD U.S. PLUG

Your saying the cabins don't have 3 prong outlets aka outlets with grounds? That seems awfully strange to have electrical outlets on a boat with no ground.

I guess people electrocuting themselves isn't really a concern after all there is not a high chance of getting wet while holding something plugged in, and even less chance of getting wet from water that has high salt content aka way more conductive than normal water.

weird. guess i'll just break off the ground, no worries!

I have NEVER seen just a two prong outlet on any ship I have been on. They have always been three prong GROUNDED outlets, as I stated in my post above. In fact the ones in the bathrooms are GFI outlets to prevent electrocution.

For those that do not know what a GFI outlet is...it is an outlet that has protection built into it to detect if the current from the outlet is "leaking" to a path other that back into the proper path in the outlet. These are required in all new costruction by the National Electric Code of all locations with water near them such as bathrooms, kitchens and outdoors. These same devices are also required by most locations around the world today.

I take back that an adapter is required. Looking back -- outlets are 3-prong. Thanks to all who pointed this out. But nevertheless, I always carry an adapter -- a very small item to throw in with the rest of all the bulky chargers for camera, cells, etc. I also often use a multi-outlet that plugs in directly and has no cord. The location of the desk outlet is very awkward and I cannot plug in my multi-outlet directly and still use the side outlets of the multi-outlet. The adapter helps.

I have NEVER seen just a two prong outlet on any ship I have been on. They have always been three prong GROUNDED outlets, as I stated in my post above. In fact the ones in the bathrooms are GFI outlets to prevent electrocution.

For those that do not know what a GFI outlet is...it is an outlet that has protection built into it to detect if the current from the outlet is "leaking" to a path other that back into the proper path in the outlet. These are required in all new costruction by the National Electric Code of all locations with water near them such as bathrooms, kitchens and outdoors. These same devices are also required by most locations around the world today.

I am with WWCJR on this one. I had to scratch my head and looked at several of my surger protector power strips. The end that plugs in the wall is always three prong plug and I am almost postive that I have brought at least one of them on a princess cruise. Also, I started to recall that the 3 prong to 2 prong adapter is pretty much verbottem here in the states. The idea is with the adapter is that there is a screw involved where you screw it into the wall outlet. The hole where the screw goes in, is in theory connected to a ground. In execution, this was most likely not the case so the adapters are not acceptable according to fire codes.

This information can not be too accurate....

If I could do a real seach of these boards I'd list the original post. All I can recall is that it was a surge protection type strip

I do know the power is not a true 110v, on the Star at least. Took a cheap digital clock that worked fine before and after the cruise. On the ship it lost 2-3 minutes a day.

If I could do a real seach of these boards I'd list the original post. All I can recall is that it was a surge protection type strip

I do know the power is not a true 110v, on the Star at least. Took a cheap digital clock that worked fine before and after the cruise. On the ship it lost 2-3 minutes a day.

The ships power is true 110 VAC but the FREQUENCY is not held to 60 Hz as would be required by your clock. That is why you need to take a battery powered clock if you want to have a clock with the correct time.

Archived