Viking river cruises not friendly to groups?

hroscoe1949

I have a group of 22 seniors going on the Viking Rinda on 18JUN2019

As they are not as "agile" as youger folks, they would like to come in a day early so that when they reach the airport at 6AM they are not shuttled right off to the ship and tours. They elected to come in on the 17th and stay an extra night and then meet Viking back at the airport for normal scheduled transfer to the ship on the 18th. Viking (all air is through them) refused to guarantee transfers to the ship. Here is their response:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not a standard request so we have to kind of trick the system. Please have your agent provide a flight schedule for 18Jun2019 and we will try to add the arrival transfer based on that.

Ā 

Please know this IS NOT GUARANTEED but we will try to make this happen. Also please make sure your agent understands that if we can do this and if the flight changes or they cannot make it on time, THEY ARE 100% RESPONSIBLE to make it to the ship on their own.

Ā 

Having said all of that, I honestly feel it may be better if they just purchase a transfer from their Paris hotel to the ship.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If our flight had arrived on the 18th, we would have transfers. Not guaranteed? How to you explain to 22 seniors that their bus didn't arrive because it wasn't guaranteed?

Ā 

I am thinking of booking transfers at additional PERSONAL cost from the airport. Does any one have any suggestions?

Ā 

Thanks

On the 18th. you are going to pay to get from your hotel back to the airport (costs involved) so that you maybe able to get a Viking transfer to the ship.

Ā 

Ā 

Why make it so stressful and complicated for your group, why not just book a bus transfer from hotel dikrect to the ship.

Sorry if this seems unsupportive of you

Ā 

but IMO you are asking for a service that Viking clearly says is not provided. They have nicely said "we'll try, but ....."

Ā 

I found myself in a similar situation on our last river. I booked 2 additional b4 days thru V but did not book the air thru them. They did not provide transfers from the airport (clearly stated) .... even tho there were a bunch of V booked folks on our flight (getting on other boats THAT DAY, or having booked everything thru V)

Ā 

It didn't p' me off ..... it was not a major inconvenience .... just a "it wouldn't be that hard would it" sort of issue. Altho the other side of the coin is the flights they have 'many' on they would service with a bus. If I arrive on a random flight and am a party of two, should they send a car? Pay for the car? As a party of 22, you could fill a bus ..... but you are an anomaly .. special case .. {or maybe not so special ... how many tour groups ask for something similar??}

Ā 

You're a year out yet ...... yes, if I was the organizer of this group I'd just arrange my own bus ...... my opinion.

Ā 

MAYBE with a year to work on it, Viking will do something for you but a lot can happen 'tween now and then.

Ā 

btw, IME there is no tour on boarding day .... you board and relax. Boarding in Budapest there was a night cruise in the city that night (see the lights) that returned to the pier. "included tour" was the next day and we departed Budapest that evening .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

Did everyone purchase air deviation through Viking? If so, perhaps they will work something out. Otherwise it is not the usual time for a transfer and like others have said, hiring a transfer might work for a large group. I do have to say that I've found river cruising a lot more physically challenging than ocean cruising. Does all your group of seniors understand this? Friend's friend was going this week with them on a Rhine cruise, Amsterdam to Budapest. I took one look at the friend and told my friend her other friend would not be able to do it. It took until the week before for them to realize this and now they are working on using their trip insurance. The husband who was fit ended up with a back problem or they would have attempted it. They knew she could not make it without his help. Lots of steps and walking...be sure your folks understand this.

Why would you want them to go back out to the airport? If they are staying in Paris for the night, then it is closer to Le Pecq then it is the CDG or Orly. Far easier to just arrange for transportation from wherever they are staying in Paris to the ship. They would spend a lot of time going to the airport, then waiting for the transport then spending more time riding to the ship. Far less time to just go from hotel to ship.

Ā 

Ā 

The issue with the guarantee is the person is having to put in a flight into the system that sets up when Viking would expect to meet them and pick them up. That is why he is asking for a flight schedule on the 18th. The arrival time of the flight is when they would need to be at the airport in Baggage claim. Problem is if something happens with that flight, delayed, canceled etc then the system would change the meet time to adjust. Or if your people are not there when the flight number that was used to trick the system arrives then they will miss their transport.

Ā 

Basically you are asking for something their system does not do and while the person is willing to trick the system it is not foolproof and the responsibility for anything going wrong is with your party not Viking.

We would be staying at an airport hotel. Other option is spending the night at a hotel near the pier, but the problem of getting there without paying a fortune remains

Ā 

A couple of things to consider. Are they paying for or have other arrangements for early arrival at the hotel that they are staying at. Otherwise they might arrive at 6 be at their hotel at 8 and not be able to get a room until 3 or 4 in the after noon.

Ā 

Ā 

If you are flying into the airport, the taxi rates are fixed to/from the airport to different areas around Paris, but not from hotels next to the airport. Thus taking a cab directly from the airport to the port area would probably cost less than taking one from the hotel right next to the airport to the port area.

Ā 

Also there are a lot of transportation scammers around CDG that try to intercept people looking for a legitimate cab and try to steer them to private cars that are less than honest and do not follow the legal rates.

Viking is very friendly to groups but this has nothing to do with being a group. If you book your air through Viking and deviate from the stated arrival and/or departure days, which is what you are doing, you lose the included transfers that normally come with the air arrangements. It is Viking's standard policy in this regard.

Ā 

I don't think that you are going to be able to get around the fact that the transfers from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship will have to be paid for. Viking's position seems to be fairly clear, you can try to get the transfers from them but they cannot guarantee them.

Ā 

Perhaps this website will help you find the cheapest way to arrange it. http://www.gowithoh.com/us/guide-paris/airport-transport/. Renting a whole bus might not be the cheapest option

I think you missed the point. We are arriving a day early on one of Viking's flights.

They have to pick up other passengers at the airport on the day of the cruise. We are only asking that they let us join those people at the air terminal to transfer to the ship. We are staying at a hotel on the airport property. I do not think that our request is unreasonable. They do not have to do anything out of normal airport transfer on the day of the cruise. We are not asking them to pick us up at a hotel.

I think you missed the point. We are arriving a day early on one of Viking's flights.

They have to pick up other passengers at the airport on the day of the cruise. We are only asking that they let us join those people at the air terminal to transfer to the ship. We are staying at a hotel on the airport property. I do not think that our request is unreasonable. They do not have to do anything out of normal airport transfer on the day of the cruise. We are not asking them to pick us up at a hotel.

Ā 

It isn't quite that simple.

Ā 

When you chose to come in the 17th, you lost the included transfers, just like everyone else who is arriving before arrival day, who booked their air with Viking and is not doing a Viking pre-package. That is company policy. Why should Viking make an exception for you and not for everyone else. Why should they let you come back to the airport when they tell everyone else that they can't do it? And why should you get free transfers when everyone else who does not have transfers included has to pay for them?

Are you working with a TA? If so this is something they should be helping with. If thru Viking, you should also have an agent there.

Ā 

We also like to come in a day early to get over jet lag. For this reason we tend to do our own air, but there are only 2 of us, not 22.

Ā 

There are some lines that will transport you as long as you are at the airport when they are picking up. Seems a lot of lugging luggage and back and forth. If my memory serves, the "airport" hotels are in a small village adjacent to the airport. Maybe it would be better to arrive the day of and hang out in the lounge of the boat. That first day is usually quiet. Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

Just did a little check on the cost for transfer from CDG to the port. One company quoted 21.26 Euro per person utilizing 6 cars for a total of 467.82 euro. Pretty reasonable.

Ā 

Bottom line is you either need to come in on day of cruise within the scope of Vikings systems for transfer. Or come in a day early and do transfer on your own.

Ā 

It was actually fairly surprising that they were willing to try and fool their own system to try and arrange for a transfer outside of their company policy. But as the person said then the risk is on you if something goes wrong.

Are you certain your rooms will be ready for you at 6:00 am? Most times check in is at 3:00 pm.

Ā 

I hope it all works out. You have to understand that Viking has the busses ready to pick up the pax on the flights they arranged. The busses are not there all day as a shuttle.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO either come in several days early and enjoy a stay in Paris OR come in day of. Downsides of your plan is probably sitting in a hotel lobby in the middle of nowhere for hours waiting for your room to be made ready, eating overpriced food in a hotel with a captive audience, and the next day wasting hours to assemble at the hotel, waiting for transport to the airport (if the hotel provides shuttle service it is unlikely to be a bus big enough for 22 and luggage; so waiting for multiple runs), schlepping bags to and from the bus, getting the luggage to the Viking assembly point (there are 4 countries smaller than CDG airport grounds) and then waiting to be led once again through the airport to the bus staging area, and all that dependent on a non guaranteed bus. If you arrive day of at least you will go directly to the boat where you will probably have juice, coffee and pastries while waiting for an included light lunch before getting your cabin.

Ā 

However I would plan to arrive several days early and stay in downtown Paris, see some of the museums and sights and arrive at the boat rested. To be sure this will cost more but compared to the cost of the boat relatively inexpensive for what would make the trip far nicer.

Ā 

Good luck with your planning. Thom

How senior are the seniors? IMO, trying to herd and shuttle around any group of 22 people is a job, and the more steps there are in the process, the more work it is and confusing for the group members.

I've only sailed Uniworld, where the first day is low key due to people arriving and the cruise line giving them a chance to board, get settled in their cabins, get oriented, etc.

I checked Viking's website, and here's what it says for the first day:

"Arrive in Paris, romance capital of the world. Transfer from the airport in Paris to your ship.* After boarding, take free time to explore Paris, or join our ā€œwelcome walkā€ to stretch your legs and get oriented. (D)"

It doesn't look like cruisers will be forced to participate in any scheduled activities the first day. Why not use the included transfer, and let group members decide what they want to do or not do? They can unpack, rest, walk around the ship, etc. Chances are Viking will provide some light refreshments even though dinner is shown as the only meal that day. I think this would be much better than sitting in a hotel lobby waiting for rooms to open up in the afternoon.

Roz

Just did a little check on the cost for transfer from CDG to the port. One company quoted 21.26 Euro per person utilizing 6 cars for a total of 467.82 euro. Pretty reasonable.

Ā 

Bottom line is you either need to come in on day of cruise within the scope of Vikings systems for transfer. Or come in a day early and do transfer on your own.

Ā 

It was actually fairly surprising that they were willing to try and fool their own system to try and arrange for a transfer outside of their company policy. But as the person said then the risk is on you if something goes wrong.

Ā 

Thanks. Who was the company?

I am concerned about what you are going to do with 22 seniors at 7 am??? Nothing is open, rooms will not be available for hours, and you have 22 exhausted seniors.......

As someone said before, it would be better to fly in on the day of the cruise, get to the ship, and relax there.

I won't add anything to the "how to get a transfer" discussion, but I'd add that I prefer to fly in a day early for cruise departures. It adds cushion in the event of airline delays, lost luggage, etc. Perhaps it's my bad luck, but I'm 3 for 6 in eventful transatlantic flights, one trip was 24 hours delayed. Getting 22 seniors to their ship after it's sailed seems even more monumental than just getting them to a hotel.

Ā 

I do agree I'd make sure they have somewhere to go/something to do for the day, as sitting around the lobby for 8 hours will not be fun. Some people pay for the night before you arrive, so you can check in right away. Even paying for a few rooms to allow people to store luggage and freshen up might be a good idea.

I believe the ship is docked overnight outside Paris, so that could serve as the "cushion" in the event of a delay.

Ā 

Roz

I would add that the Hotels near the airport are away from anything other than the airport and in a semi industrial area nothing to do and no where to go that's isn't going to cost to get you to.The Hotels do have shuttle buses to and from airport terminals,don't know it they go into Paris centraland and not sure they could easily deal with 22 travelers at once. I would get yor TA to organise a Paris hotel for your arrival day with early book in and transfers from the airport and then the next day to the boat.

As for concerns about seniors and river cruises my sister and our 94 year old father were on Scenic last year from Basel to Amsterdam , he had a great time managed all the tours loved the whole trip. We three are booked on a cruise through the Greek Islands in November traveling form Australia so flying into Rome a couple of days before to get over the jet lag.

I wish you luck with your trip

šŸš£šŸ»šŸš£šŸ»šŸš£šŸ»

I would add that the Hotels near the airport are away from anything other than the airport and in a semi industrial area nothing to do and no where to go that's isn't going to cost to get you to.The Hotels do have shuttle buses to and from airport terminals,don't know it they go into Paris centraland and not sure they could easily deal with 22 travelers at once. I would get yor TA to organise a Paris hotel for your arrival day with early book in and transfers from the airport and then the next day to the boat.

As for concerns about seniors and river cruises my sister and our 94 year old father were on Scenic last year from Basel to Amsterdam , he had a great time managed all the tours loved the whole trip. We three are booked on a cruise through the Greek Islands in November traveling form Australia so flying into Rome a couple of days before to get over the jet lag.

I wish you luck with your trip

šŸš£šŸ»šŸš£šŸ»šŸš£šŸ»

Ā 

The hotels near CDG, such as the Hilton, IBIS, Novotel, etc are right next to Roissypole Gare from which you can take RER B to Gare du Nord in Paris. Normally an easy way to get to/from the city. Note that currently the route is impact by the French train strikes and running at reduced frequency compared to normal.