Booking Direct vs Using a discount site (REVISED)

ballardsbox

Today 12:15 PM

In an effort to please some of the members here I have submitted my previous post for removal and am re-posting the edited post.

Thank you to those who responded. :)

We are considering a last minute cruise in July 2018. I've notice some of the discount sites offer cheaper rates than the cruise site. Has anyone used both? Do you have a preference? Why? Thanks!

Maybe some reading around the board would be beneficial, as this is discussed here very frequently. Generally (but not always), when a brick and mortar or online agent is selling cheaper than the cruise line, it is because they are giving you back some of their commission. This can come in a manner of ways...

Many people book online and use travel agents. We do, and commonly get about 10% off (That is a variable dependent on the cabin level and over all price of the cruise). We have had a couple of service problems, but generally we are happy with this arrangement. We have booked about 10 cruises this way now.

Maybe some reading around the board would be beneficial, as this is discussed here very frequently. Generally (but not always), when a brick and mortar or online agent is selling cheaper than the cruise line, it is because they are giving you back some of their commission. This can come in a manner of ways...

Many people book online and use travel agents. We do, and commonly get about 10% off (That is a variable dependent on the cabin level and over all price of the cruise). We have had a couple of service problems, but generally we are happy with this arrangement. We have booked about 10 cruises this way now.

Thank you so much! Initially I was viewing a TA as an individual rather than a website so I wasn't finding what I wanted in my search. Now that I am more clear as to what the acronym TA means I can search again. I did find some info via google and some people had problems with big box stores so I thought this was the perfect site to ask on. :)

In an effort to please some of the members here I have submitted my previous post for removal and am re-posting the edited post.

It's not about "pleasing" posters, it's about reading and then following posting guidelines. If you don't, you will get guideline warnings, which can result in your account being closed.

There's no need to spam the board with a duplicate thread; you have answers in your previous one.

Thank you to those who responded. :)

We are considering a last minute cruise in July 2018. I've notice some of the discount sites offer cheaper rates than the cruise site. Has anyone used both? Do you have a preference? Why? Thanks!

It’s not really a matter of pleasing the members here. Your original post is likely to be deleted. This way, you will get to keep coming back to see all the replies. Hopefully that will please you! :D

Its really a matter of personal preference about using an agent. We always do, but others never do. It’s possible to get good prices and good service either way. We’ve had a couple of situations where having an agent to deal with the cruise line on our behalf was very helpful.