Gem 15000 & 15500

fiftyguy

I'm considering one of listed cabins (15000 & 15500) for a trip, on the Gem, next March. For those that have cruised in either of these cabins, can you tell me if noise from the pool area is a problem,especially at night? I'd also like to know if one is better than the other for interior space or layout.

Thanks for any info.

I'm considering one of listed cabins (15000 & 15500) for a trip, on the Gem, next March. For those that have cruised in either of these cabins, can you tell me if noise from the pool area is a problem,especially at night? I'd also like to know if one is better than the other for interior space or layout.

Thanks for any info.

Have not cruised in either but have looked at possibilities - - -

It would appear from the cruisedeckplans image that the Port side cabin is better laid out (15500).

As for noise during the day you are going to experience loud yells and whatever the entertainment

venue is playing - for the night the pool area should quiet but not like a church house mouse.

Yes noise tends to travel upwards - would presume that wind across the deck may cause some

degree of noise with pennants flapping in the breeze.

X X X X X

You are aware that to get to this cabin you take an elevator to deck 14 and then STAIRS to your

cabin perched on deck 15 midship forward ! Such privacy - watch your step getting high !

X X X X X

YouTube LINK cabin 15500 "Blue Diamond Suite":

YouTube LINK cabin 15000 "Black Diamond Suite":

Pretty much equal in space at the top of the stairs entrance to the port side cabin is direct

the starboard side cabin opens off to the side.

The accommodations are for the most part best suited for TWO (-2-) a convertible couch

can accommodate 2 more in Spartan sleeping comfort.

Overall the STAIRS are going to be the main deciding factor of cruising in this cabin

everything else is how suite it is !

I sailed in the OS on the Gem, which I know is not what you’re asking but looked at the DOS and felt the cabin space wasn’t to my liking being odd shape and the balcony lacked privacy. This is why I booked the OS loved the separate areas and 2 balconies which offered more privacy, particularly the side one.

I loved the Gem and Elvina was amazing.

You’ll have a great time on th Gem

We have and with mixed feelings. Love the 15500 suite the deck is amazing hot tub not to hot but wonderful in the early AM or at night. That said yes it is noisy you have the band directly in front of your cabin and at times the cabin feels like it is vibrating. The good news is by 11-12 it is quiet. Starts again about 11 AM. But if your not in the cabin much it is a great place. I couldn't sleep but my husband had no trouble the 2 evenings we tried to get some sleep because we had a very busy full day. Also keep in mind you need to climb several stair to get to both cabins and they are a little steep. Two other good things were Cagney's one flight down or up if you didn't want to wait for the elevator and your in the Haven. I liked the Haven the pool not so much very small, but liked sitting inside when we first set out of NYC was very cold but we could swim that day. Also were very lucky not many kids and the few there weren't running around. They had fun, but were respectful of others as far as the noise level.

If you have the chance for either of these cabin grab it even if just one time it would be a great experience.

Enjoy the Gem still one of my favorite ships can't wait for it to be closer to us next year out of Boston (though I love NYC) 45 minutes from home :).

We were in 15500 as well. The band played outside right in front of the room and I never felt it was noisy in the room.

Yes, there are the stairs though if you have any issues with those. The balcony has an angled wall and one night it was quite windy and it seemed to funnel the wind to the slider and was quite noisy though. The view is great. If you look for my thread from late 2016/early 2017 I have some pictures in there.

Thank you to all who sent along a comment. I think my wife and I will have to think about this a little more. We have stayed in OS on both the Dawn and the Gem. I really like the extra space and extra balcony in the OS. I'm also not sure we can handle the ship pool being right below us in the DOS. I know we'd like the hot tub since we had one on the POA and used it most every day. Decisions decisions...

Thanks again for the feedback.

We've sailed OS on Dawn too so know what you are talking about but we had our kids with us on that one.

Even with being in the DOS we didn't use the Haven that much as our balcony was huge and we had the tub plus you had the music by the pool.

We met a couple who had one of the OS and they only went to the Haven once.

My thoughts if you have already done the OS on Gem try the DOS unless you are going somewhere unique like the PC where you'd want both balconies. You have a great view from the DOS and it is very close to many places being so central.

We have done both more than once . We don’t love either. depending on where you’re cruising the amazing balcony is unusable if there’s any wind. Zero chance if there is rain. The noise was not so much of an issue, the people from the pool staring up bothered me more. The stairs are not exactly convenient either. We have been in the Haven on the Gem at least 14 times. We either are in the 2 bedroom or the Garden Villa. Have not done the OS but we did enjoy the room on the other NCL ships.

I, again, want to thank everyone for their input. We've decided to stay with OS. My wife is unsure about noise and privacy with the DOS.

We've only sailed the OS the last few cruises and we really enjoy the cabin. Wind has never been an issue for us on the front balcony so we'll take our chances.

We sailed the Gem, in this cabin, a couple of years ago and had no issue with walking up to the Haven area. We used the area a few times but enjoyed our own balconies just as much. Looking forward to March with no air travel since we're from Boston area.