RDC1

What happened on your cruise with Tracy Arm as a destination  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What happened on your cruise with Tracy Arm as a destination

• We made it down Tracy Arm to Sawyer Glacier
    • We entered Tracy Arm but did not make it to the Glacier
    • We went down Endicott Arm instead
    • We missed both Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm

Over the years I have been on three different cruises on three different cruise lines that had Tracy Arm Fjord as a destination. The most recent was on the Explorer of the Seas this last week.

None of the three actually made it into Tracy Arm to the Glaciers. Two of the three went down the Endicott Arm to the Dawes Glacier instead. The third just skipped the whole area and went to Juneau early.

That made me curious about how do ships actually make it down the advertised Tracy Arm vs how often they go to the Endicott Arm or neither instead.

For those of you that have been on cruises with Tracy Arm as a listed destination what have been your experiences

I have made it to Sawyer Glacier, but only on a small ship that was a cruise ship excursion.

One thing that I forgot to mention. There was very little notification made by the ship, that we had actually entered Endicott Arm, instead of Tracy Arm. The CD announced at the end of the show in the theater that the decision about which one the ship would take would be made the next morning when we reached the entrance.

Did not hear any other announcement saying that we were actually going into Endicott. The Captain did make an announcement at 7am that I did not hear out on deck (no announcements were made outside), where he might have said it. However, a number of people out on deck thought that we in Tracy not Endicott. The only reason I knew was because 1. I had been there before and 2. I have an app that shows detailed position (even without service or wifi).

My son just returned from a cruise on Celebrity where they witnessed one of the biggest calving events the Captain had ever seen. He was later told that it caused so much free ice in the fjord that the other ships couldn’t go in the following days.