Radiance of the Seas questions

A few questions for those of you who have travelled on Radiance before:

Ā 

I'm thinking of getting my teenage daughter the "Soda Package" just wondering what kinds of soft drinks they have available. I know they are Coke branded but her drink of choice is Soda Water, can you get that on the card? And can she go to the bar with her seapass card and order her soft drink herself or does one of us have to order it because she is under 18. Can she order her soft drink on the card in the restaurant with lunch and dinner?

Ā 

We haven't done RCCL before (just HAL and Celebrity and a couple of nights on Sun Princess) but I read something about having to show your seapass to get a pool towel then show it to return it of they will charge you for it? Seems hard to believe but is that true? If so I will pack my own beach towels :)

Ā 

I was reading something on CC that suggested there is a different smoking policy onboard cruises out of Australia is that the case? Celebrity was nearly smoke free which we found great, just wondering what to expect on Radiance.

Ā 

Looks like a lovely ship, we are looking forward to our cruise!

I am not sure about soda water but yes your daughter can go and get her own drinks on her soda card at the bar, at dinner or at the teen centre. She will get a souvenir cup and they will put a sticker on her card so she can get a drink of soda in a normal glass as well.

Ā 

Yes you do show your seapass card for your towel and they place a charge of $10 for each towel. You can take it back and renew it as often as you like and then when you return it they take the $10 charge off. It is no hassle really as the towel station is beside the pool. If you enjoy an early morning or late evening swim just get a dry towel after the last swim during the day t take back to your cabin.

Ā 

They have a few smoking area but it is limited. I hate being around cigarette smoke and I love the Radiance. I am sure you will too.

Thanks Musichorn!

I'll take some beach towels with us, the only place I have ever seen them be so cheap about the towels is the Shangri La in Fiji...took our own there too.

Great news about the smoking, I am hoping there is no smoking on balconies as well. Some of the cruise lines still allow it and it seems to cause a lot of complaints on CC.

Radiance looks a lovely ship!

Thanks Musichorn!

I'll take some beach towels with us, the only place I have ever seen them be so cheap about the towels is the Shangri La in Fiji...took our own there too.

Great news about the smoking, I am hoping there is no smoking on balconies as well. Some of the cruise lines still allow it and it seems to cause a lot of complaints on CC.

Ā 

Musicorn - the price has gone up - it's now "about" $25. I don't have a problem with it - their towels are of reasonable quality and if you look after them, there shouldn't be any problem.

Ā 

There IS smoking on starboard side balconies :mad: and an area on the pool deck. Hopefully, one day RCI will stop the balcony smoking and the odd other place.

Ā 

Cheers

Di

Cruised on Radiance a few months ago. Smoking allowed outside (starboard) on pool deck & promenade deck & on all balconies. Non-smokers but we had no issues.

Ā 

Pool towels are a non-issue. Check out with your card how many you want, swap them over anytime you want (seapass not required) & check-in at the end of cruise. Not sure how you will launder and dry your own towels.

Ā 

Happy cruising

Thanks Musichorn!

Ā 

I don't think they actually charge you for the towels, they will only charge you if you don't take it back. I never had a charge and a reversal on my bill. It really is a non issue as they are right near the pool, I really wouldn't bother taking towels.

Ā 

Smoking is only in dedicated outside areas and on balconies, I'm a non smoker and never felt imposed upon by any smokers, it is easy to stay away from the small smoking areas if it bothers you.

I don't think they actually charge you for the towels, they will only charge you if you don't take it back. I never had a charge and a reversal on my bill. It really is a non issue as they are right near the pool, I really wouldn't bother taking towels.

Ā 

No they register on the account on TV but they do not appear on the final bill unless you do not take them back. It is no drama at all and the crew manning the towel stall are very friendly. Sorry i did not realise the price had gone up or about the balcony smoking. The things you learn on CC!

Thanks Musichorn!

Just cannot understand why you would want to take your own towels and have to launder them and add extra wait in the luggage. No hassle whatsoever about getting the RCCL pool towels. They swipe your sea pass once on the first borrow and again on the last return. You need to carry your sea pass with you everywhere anyway as the ship is cashless.

Ā 

No problems for the kids to get soda etc.

Ā 

You will love Radiance

I can't think of anything worse than taking towels and getting them wet and sandy then having to wash them. On our last day there were towels strewn everywhere on deck. I'm thinking some were in for nasty bill surprises. It took all of 2 minutes to exchange for clean ones or check in at the end.

Just a friendly reminder that soda is tasty, but extremely unhealthy. It's in the news that someone who drinks soda on a daily basis ended up losing all his teeth at a young age.

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/25yearold-man-loses-teeth-drinking-soda/

Ā 

Oh dear. It's just a holiday. He had an addiction. It doesn't say how many a day he drank.

The article claims he drank 6-8 Litres a day :eek: My God, I'd be in the bathroom all day if I drank that much of ANYTHING, lol

Ā 

Forget the bathroom -- I couldn't AFFORD to drink that much beer every day!! :)

Ā 

Barry

I promise she won't drink 6 to 8 litres of soft drink a day ;) to be honest she is unlikely to drink anything other than soda water. She has managed to get to age 15 without a filling in her teeth so I don't think she's likely to compromise her health on a 9 day cruise:)

Ā 

Talked to himself about the beach towels and he's with me, we will definitely take our own, we don't have any luggage restrictions and they will dry just fine on the balcony.

Ā 

Thanks for all the advice!

RCI do not charge you for towels unless of course you do not return it. You can change it as often as you like so unless you lose things a lot or are really forgetful ( or you intend to keep a towel as a souvenir:confused::confused:)don't even think of taking your own.

I can't even remember that last time we took beach towels on a holiday to proper accommodation. As far as drying on the balcony, hope you tie them down. Really I echo the thought, don't take the beach towels. Where is all the sand going to go? Into the ship's water plumbing or on your balcony?

Archived