Premium economy flights?

Just wondering if anyone has been in premium economy class on Qantas or Air New Zealand. We have 14 hour flights each way and I have never been able to sleep on a plane even on a 10 hour flight. Premium economy is twice the price of economy - so quite a bit - but wondering if it may be worth it. I would appreciate any opinions.

No but could have been tempted...we flew Jetstar to Hawaii then had 5 hour brake and continued on to LA with Hawaiian air....only thought is hubby is tall 6.3 and he couldn't put his head back using the neck pillows...nothing there to support it.. our neighbors are just recently back flying with Qantas and more than happy with there economy seats..and he is a big guy....they felt it wad the timing that suited them....as in flying at night forced them to sleep for 5 to 6 hours

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

We have flown premium economy a few times to both South America and Asia on QF. I am not a good sleeper on a plane unless I can lie down but found that PE is much better than economy. The food and service is better, the 2 seats near the windows give a bit more room, there is a footrest of sorts and the seats recline a bit further. We think the extra is worth it, though sometimes you can get business class on a different carrier for a similar price (JAL was similar to Europe and Finnair was a good price, both excellent flights). Have never flown ANZ so cannot comment.

I assume you are talking about flights to/from the States. Air New Zealand's PE looks very nice and for when we liked a much cheaper option than Qantas. Air NZ has fancy seats that seem more like business.

I haven't tried it but my Aunt and Uncle often fly it as they have been happy with it.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I just did Starclass on Jetstar to Hawaii and I think they use the same seats as PE on qantas. They are better than economy obviously, wider and the back reclines further. Also has a footrest that pops out that puts your legs in a more comfy position. They don't go that far back, but I did find the angle more comfortable and managed to snooze for a few hours without waking up stiff and sore. Problem is when the person in front fully puts their chair back, it's almost impossible to get out of your seat as there isn't much room left between their seat and the armrest. Impossible if you aren't on the aisle. Try get the seats in the first row to avoid it.

So are they worth it? I think so, for me anyway as economy travel is so uncomfortable seeing as I'm tall and plus sized. If I was small and was able to still sleep in economy, I might not pay the extra.

I have flown Premium Economy to and from the States with Qantas so can only comment on them. Not sure about the ANZ offering but can say I had a terrible flight with them a couple of years ago (Economy) and will never use them again.

You will have a lot more room in Premium and fantastic service. Real cutlery and glassware, linens for your dinner service - called by name (Mrs .....) when getting served. You are made to feel pretty special. Not sure that I slept any better than in Economy but was a lot more comfortable. Is it worth the money? I had frequent flyers so not sure about that - it would depend on my finances at the time. I do know if I didn't have enough points for my flight I would wait for and hope for a special which I have seen on occasion. It has spoilt me and I don't want to fly Economy again for a long haul flight.

Had enough points for Business on my next trip to South America and can't wait.

Cheers

Deb :)

Edited by debmm

Interesting replies. We are flying PE from LA to London Heefrow on Air NZ next April, post cruise. Booked the space seats, that's what they call them on the Air NZ Boeing 777-300's anyway.

Also flying PE back from LHR to Sydney on Qantas A380 in May. First time in PE, although have been in business class a couple of times on Air NZ and Qantas. 99% of the time we are cattle class. Booked our seat numbers already.

Qantas get good PE reviews as do Air Nu Ziland. If you go to the Airline web sites you can get a good overview of PE seats, cabin, plus service/entertainment etc.

Edited by NSWP

I have flown premium economy and there is a noticeable difference. You have more recline in the chairs as well as the ability to exit a window seat without waking up or disturbing the person next to you (I am going off someone in peak athletic shape like myself).

I would say it is worth the money. It is still considerably cheaper than business class. I am also someone who is easy to please and very rarely complain about poor service so to others who are more picky they may not like it. I hardly find fault in anything.

I flew premium economy back from Japan last month with QANTAS. My son was convinced we were in Business as we had flatbeds (same as I've experienced in business) but it was definately premium. So we were wrapped. The only thing we didn't get was courses served individually, the great amenities pack and the pyjamas. It was a 747-400.

I know other planes with premium aren't like that.

Hi, we flew with Qantas in their A380 in PE and it was very good, not flat bed but 2 seats at window make it easy to get in out. AIR NZ has the best rating for PE so if you can book a good fare with them we'd say definitely try it!

We flew PE on Cathay Pacific to London earlier this year. We were able to pick the seats in the first row. We ended up being upgraded to business class for the Perth - Hong Kong flight. That was wonderful. Then the PE flight to London seemed to go loads quicker being less cramped. The food didn't seem as good as I would have expected. The glass on bubbly when you boarded was nice and the real cutlery. On the way back we again had the front row seats. This time it seemed to be the access for other people to get to the toilets and I had my feet stepped on numerous times while sleeping.

We have just returned from a trip to Hong Kong. This time in economy. The seats felt so cramped. We were one row from the back. The two loud drunk 20 something boys didn't make it a comfortable trip either.

So our conclusion from the last trip is do a little less travelling but when we do try and do it in a bit more comfort. Hopefully PE from now on.

I would love to try the Air NZ PE seats. They look worth the money. Maybe when we cruise next year.

We flew with Air New Zealand in March /April this year in PE from San francisco to Auckland and later Auckland to LAX. Without doubt they were the two best flights we have ever had. the planes used on the SF route were the older ones but there is only about 20 - 25 seats you get your own stewardess and as the flight wasn't full she only had to serve about 12 -14 passengers hence lots of attention and plenty of drinks.

the lax route had the new spacesaver seats which look like half an egg shell and are the most comfortable seats ever. they are angled and the shell part does not move, the seat inside does so you can fully stretch out and of course the person in front does not recline back into your space. Be aware that snacks and drinks you order from the tv screen on your seat, it took us a few hours before we realised this. i would fly with them every time.

We fly Christchurch to London and back every year with Qantas, and have done for many years. We book PE and apply for upgrades to Business with frequent flyer points. Usually we get our upgrades going over, but not on the way home. The last few years Sydney to London has been on the A380. A great plane! PE is good, business is even better! It is a 14 hour stretch from Sydney to Dubai. We would never want to do this trip in economy ever again. PE is definitely worth the money, for the extra space - much more comfortable. Business is just too expensive for us, but great if we can get it on points. I usually manage to get some sleep in PE, but even more in business.

Good to hear PE is worth it to many who have tried that class of air travel, now I have forked out for PE on Air NZ and Qantas. Those 'space seats' on the Air NZ Boeing 777-300's look great, we have booked the two in the front row.

Researching the Airline review sites, Qantas and Air NZ seem to get the best Premium Economy reviews.

One advantage of booking premium economy with Qantas is that you can use your frequent flyer points to upgrade to business. I was lucky enough to score business class upgrades on my 2 flights between Sydney and Hong Kong recently. 50000 points well spent.

The cheaper economy fares will not allow you to upgrade at all, even using points.

Why not fly in coach class a day early Book a night at the airport hotel and treat yourself to the spa and massage treatments as well as a good long sleep and THEN start your holiday Much cheaper Do not try to sleep just enjoy all the films and a good book

Edited by windsor26

I've flown premium economy on Air NZ long haul in their space seats. You'll not sleep materially better than if you were in economy; while the seat may recline more (it slides within its shell rather than recline) you'll still be nearly upright on your back trying to sleep.

Premium economy give a little bit more personal space, slightly better food (served in better dishes), lounge access, fast check-in, extra baggage and so on. It absolutely does not give an in-flight experience like business class.

I've flown premium economy on Air NZ long haul in their space seats. You'll not sleep materially better than if you were in economy; while the seat may recline more (it slides within its shell rather than recline) you'll still be nearly upright on your back trying to sleep.

Premium economy give a little bit more personal space, slightly better food (served in better dishes), lounge access, fast check-in, extra baggage and so on. It absolutely does not give an in-flight experience like business class.

What lounge access? We have booked the PE space seats on Air NZ, LA to LHR on 1 April, post Golden Princess cruise, I did not know about lounge access, I know about check in, baggage etc, hence my query.

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by NSWP

To the best of my knowledge Premium Economy does not qualify for complimentary Koru Club lounge access. I have always used United Red Carpet membership to access lounges. Yes you do get easier check-in (LAX is hit and miss) and baggage handling. Fly 4 or 5 times a year ANZ to NZ from LAX.