QM2 Sydney Allocated Boarding Time

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if Cunard enforces allocated boarding time in Sydney for the QM2. Have been given a 4pm check in on our docs and would prefer to board the ship earlier in the afternoon, will this be allowed or will we just be left waiting if we turn up early? Otherwise, can we put bags through a couple of hours before we board the ship?

Its very hard to give a definitive answer . We can all say what has happened on previous boardings , but over several cruises I have found that it always seem to change in little ways.

Heres how we work. The allocated time is a suggested time. If guests had stayed in a Hotel overnight , the check out time is usually 11am , so thats when we head off to the terminal and we takes our chances.

In most cases we are on board for lunch.:D

If not .....its always fun to watch the comings and goings.:D

Cunard do have a reputation for over organising things sometimes.:rolleyes:

The other thing we have noticed is that the times that they suggest can be what the Customs and Immigration people want, and whenever there has ever been a hold up , it has been due to them.

The Sydney sector whether Feb or March, will see a large turnover of passengers. I wouldn't wait until 4pm but I wouldn't get there at 12pm either. Cunard don't start boarding until around 12pm so will be a large backlog. But the staterooms are always ready when you board.

I'm lucky as I'm embarking in Adelaide which is only a small transit port. So I have a 12 noon arrival.

Edited by Pushka

Thank you for your replies - much appreciated.

Also phoned Cunard today and was only told the 'official' info - "only turn up when your e-ticket tells you your check in time is" However, will take your advice and head over somewhere after 1.30pm to give the midday 'priority' boarding queue a chance to get cleared a little before attempting to approach. Won't make lunch as I have done on other cruises I have sailed on but might make afternoon tea with any luck :)

Other question I had for Cunard was in regards to ship departure time from Circular Quay : "depends on many factors" was their answer and was only told a window of 3 hours!!! Funny that all other cruises have scheduled departure times LOL. Too bad if friends wanted to watch you sail out!! - Let's hope the staff on board are more informed and helpful!!

What date are you leaving Sydney? I'm on QM2 arriving into Sydney on March 14th and we depart at 9pm. But I do know it can depart late, for any number of reasons.

I'll do some checking if you are departing on the circumnavigation in Feb. ok, just checked another website for Feb and it's saying 9pm also.

Jill, I'd be there around midday for Brisbane.

Edited by Pushka

What date are you leaving Sydney? I'm on QM2 arriving into Sydney on March 14th and we depart at 9pm. But I do know it can depart late, for any number of reasons.

I'll do some checking if you are departing on the circumnavigation in Feb.

Jill, I'd be there around midday for Brisbane.

Yes we will be because we'll be getting dropped off before midday. I like to have lunch and a look around the ship first, then back to the cabin to unpack, then the rest of the day is free to do whatever.

Jill:)

Thanks Pushka. We leave Sydney on Feb 19th.

Jill, our check-in closing time is 5pm according to our docs. Like you, we are getting dropped off around 1pm. Ideally we too like to have lunch, have a walk around the ship and unpack in the afternoon but was told only the 'grills' bookings and platinum and gold Cunard members are 'allowed' midday boarding. Oh dear, we are only Silver members and I don't think that comes with any benefits whatsoever - have sailed on QM2 one other time but was lucky enough to be in a Princess Suite - so we were looked after very well that time. Am hoping they don't treat 'regular' passengers like second class citizens all the way! We are about to find out!

You will never feel like a second class passenger on QM2. If a staff member is a little uppity, they are uppity with everyone. :)

There will be a lifeboat drill that afternoon too. Kings Court will be available as will afternoon tea in the Queens Room. Plenty of opportunity to enjoy some pre sail food. One level of Britannia MDR will also be open.

Have you read Whitemarsh's blog of the first Australian circumnavigation? It's in the Cunard boards and worth a read.

Edited by Pushka

Thanks Pushka. We leave Sydney on Feb 19th.

Jill, our check-in closing time is 5pm according to our docs. Like you, we are getting dropped off around 1pm. Ideally we too like to have lunch, have a walk around the ship and unpack in the afternoon but was told only the 'grills' bookings and platinum and gold Cunard members are 'allowed' midday boarding. Oh dear, we are only Silver members and I don't think that comes with any benefits whatsoever - have sailed on QM2 one other time but was lucky enough to be in a Princess Suite - so we were looked after very well that time. Am hoping they don't treat 'regular' passengers like second class citizens all the way! We are about to find out!

You're boarding from Sydney so maybe the departure time is later than Brisbane. Good to hear Gold Cunard can board at midday.....that includes us then. :)

I wish I could find somewhere the arrival and departure times in each port. Maybe there will be more detail in the documentation which we don't have yet. I did look in our cruise personaliser page but nothing there except we're now confirmed 8:30 dining, we were waitlisted.

Cruisett.con provides detailed info on all ships and ports times. It's fairly accurate according to the info they've been provided by each cruise line and port.

The departure time from Sydney for QM2 is always around 9pm even as late as midnight.

I'd expect departure time from Brisbane to be 6pm. It's the same time as in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne.

Cruisett.con provides detailed info on all ships and ports times. It's fairly accurate according to the info they've been provided by each cruise line and port.

The departure time from Sydney for QM2 is always around 9pm even as late as midnight.

I'd expect departure time from Brisbane to be 6pm. It's the same time as in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne.

Thanks for that link I'll have a look. :)

Thanks for that link I'll have a look. :)

It's a shame that I will miss catching up with you. I'm boarding in Adelaide. But I will be hanging out for your blog. :p. Love a good blog especially when waiting to board. And there are no blogs out there at the moment for the WC.

I think after the next port then QM 2 is on her way to Australia.

Hi,

Thanks for the lead - just went onto cruisett.com. What a great sight - had all the info I needed. Jill will also now be able to see arrival/departure times for each port too.

You're a legend :)

I just saw I'd typed.con. that should be .com. Damn tablet typing. :p

You are welcome. I use that site all the time. It's a beauty.

Edited by Pushka

It's a shame that I will miss catching up with you. I'm boarding in Adelaide. But I will be hanging out for your blog. :p. Love a good blog especially when waiting to board. And there are no blogs out there at the moment for the WC.

I think after the next port then QM 2 is on her way to Australia.

I just saw I'd typed.con. that should be .com. Damn tablet typing. :p

You are welcome. I use that site all the time. It's a beauty.

Love that link with the arrival and departure details thanks so much. :)

We tried to stay on past Fremantle but it was fully booked. Believe it or not we have never been to Adelaide. :o

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers