Honolulu Bus System news

JF - retired RRT

If you plan on taking The Bus in Honolulu, you need to know about a change that starts in October.

The old system allowed 2 transfers per day on one fare. When you board the driver would hand you a transfer ticket to use on subsequent rides. $2.50 for adults, $1.00 for seniors with a Medicare card.

The new system does away with the transfer system. The new system requires you to buy a "daily" pass if you plan on using the bus frequently in one day. $5.00 for adults, $2.00 for seniors. The daily pass allows unlimited rides for the day. Ask the driver for the pass before you toss your money in the collection box.

Don't forget to bring your Medicare card, if you're a senior.clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Is the senior rate available to Canadians. We don't have 'medicare' cards but could show drivers license.

Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question. You could just board the bus and if you look "senior" enough, the driver probably won't question you. Maybe.

Or try Google and see if the answer is there. Or send an email to the Honolulu bus folks and ask.

FWIW: we take our Medicare cards when we're in Honolulu, but I don't think the driver has ever actually looked at it.

(You could always doctor up a facsimile from the internet) Shh!!! Don't tell anyone I said that.;p