Train and bus

drgonzogoo

We just returned from our cruise and one of our ports was St Kitts. My Dad went golfing so he wanted something that my Mom could do with us. We signed up for the Scenic Train and bus sitaution. This was our(dw, dd 13 and my) 4th cruise and my parent's 23ish. We also took our niece, 12, this time, it was her first cruise. We have started branching out and doing excursions outside of the ships but they will not. If she was not going with us, I would have booked this outside of the cruiseline and saved some cash. With that being said, here we go....

We met at the end of the pier just before walking into the port shop area. They took 20 people to a mini-bus and our driver was Kevin. We started driving through the towns and Kevin was going a lot of history and details about the island and the little communities we went through. This is when the biggest issue came up. The roads and the ride was VERY rough. We were in the very back and got bounced around alot! It didnt help that it seemed like he was driving quite fast for the conditions/vehicle etc. After a little while longer, I determined that it was in part just how they drive on the island. But he definitely could have been a little more cautious.

It was about halfway through the bus ride that I saw what would be one of the highlights of my day in St Kitts. On a side street, was an abandoned faded red Ferrari Testarossa!! I yelled out but no one cared.

Finally we made it to the train. We sat in the lower enclosed part of the car. They offered rum punch, pina coladas, water or sodas. Rum punch was strong but tasty. They also gave out these coconut sugar cookie things that were delicious!!

The train ride was fun!! We saw some old plantations, and a lot of other things. The train was really a nice ride. We went up and looked around the open air deck. We saw a lot of empty fields, a lot of junk cars but we also saw a lot of friendly people and some gorgeous parts of their island. We got to a little station near the airport and jumped back on bus #4 for a quick ride back to the port.

Overall, i really enjoyed the excursion. I like trains and always appreciate the chance to ride on such a unique example.

A few other notes about St Kitts. The people with monkey's offering pictures are jerks and want 10 for a pic or 2 with the monkey. My Dad said the golf was a good time.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun!:D