Mount Liamuiga in St. Kitts

FCCWIFE

I have and wasn't happy. The hiking was hard which wasn't my issue but they moved way too fast. I jog a few times a week but only got halfway up before I decided it wasn't worth it and joined a group of stragglers who also couldn't run up a mountain.

I did see some VERY in shape people of different ages nail it though, so it depends on your fitness level.

I have and wasn't happy. The hiking was hard which wasn't my issue but they moved way too fast. I jog a few times a week but only got halfway up before I decided it wasn't worth it and joined a group of stragglers who also couldn't run up a mountain.

I did see some VERY in shape people of different ages nail it though, so it depends on your fitness level.

Thank you! My husband and I are avid hikers, but it concerns me you had to jog a couple of times. I do like to stop and admire the scenery, so perhaps this may not be a good fit for us. I'll have to look at other reviews as well. I'm really torn.

We've done it twice - both occasions with private operator, rather than through ship.

It's certainly pretty tough, but manageable. We're mid 50's, and fairly fit and found the pace fine, no jogging required.

The first time we were in a group of about 10 and all managed it. Second time it was just us, so we largely set our own pace.

We did it and did not find it difficult at all, but that really depends on how in shape you are cardio-wise. Lots of people say they work out a lot or that they are in good shape but that this hike was way too hard. Based on our experience, if you truly are in good shape, this hike won’t be an issue for you at all. Good shape to one though, is not good shape to another, so, be realistic with yourself on what kind of shape you’re really in.

This hike can be done by anyone without mobility issues. The difference is how difficult you think it is. If you’re in shape, you won’t think it’s hard. If you think you’re in good shape and think it’s hard...you’re just not in that good of shape [emoji6]

I recommend it only to people who truly enjoy intense exercise (meaning you’re pushing yourself to the point of breathing hard and you actually find that enjoyable and don’t equate it with torture and are doing this hike for the exercise and not purely for the nature viewing). If you like to collect mountains you climb and enjoy attempting things that other people say is challenging, do it. If you want a nature trail where your heartbeat doesn’t go up much, and you won’t sweat a whole lot, or where you get to set your own pace, do not do this hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! My husband and I are avid hikers, but it concerns me you had to jog a couple of times. I do like to stop and admire the scenery, so perhaps this may not be a good fit for us. I'll have to look at other reviews as well. I'm really torn.

I had a hard time figuring out what kind of hike this was before we did it too. It’s hard to follow other people’s advice when you don’t have any concept of their baseline fitness level or what they’re experience is.

When you say you hike...what do you mean by that? What kind of terrain do you hike? What percentage is the incline (on average)? How many feet in altitude do you climb in what distance (for example, does your hike usually take you up 1200 feet in 1.8 miles, or do you hike up 2,000 feet in .75 miles, etcetera).

This particular hike was about 3,000 feet up in 2.5 miles. The incline wasn’t very steep in most parts, around 25-30% maybe, but in some parts at the top it was closer to 45%. The terrain was basically like stairs in the form of rocks and roots, and not much of it was flat or smooth terrain. We hike at home all the time, and the mount Liamuiga hike is par for the course (very average) for what we usually do, in both altitude gain, steepness and distance, and therefore we did not find this hike hard. If this sounds like the kind of hiking you do, you’ll be fine.

I would disagree with the feeling of needing to jog up the hill, but we liked the fast pace (I usually hike for “time,” meaning that I always hike to try and beat my previous time, for example), so this kind of pace was fun for me. It may not be much fun for people who don’t find that kind of competition with yourself to be fun.

I would agree that there were people who did think it was too fast and very difficult, but they are not people I would have labeled as being in great shape, but you do not have to be in great shape to do this hike.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

We didn’t find the exercise too hard, but the speed of the leaders was really fast. Also, it’s not just hiking, as there was some climbing we also had to do. Which was a little nerve wracking.

One last thing, we got really dirty and muddy. So don’t take good shoes.

We didn’t find the exercise too hard, but the speed of the leaders was really fast. Also, it’s not just hiking, as there was some climbing we also had to do. Which was a little nerve wracking.

One last thing, we got really dirty and muddy. So don’t take good shoes.

We didn’t have to do any climbing. Maybe you took a different route. I have read some reviews from people saying they had to climb a rope and use a ladder, so maybe there are different trails.

We went with Thenford Grey, they don’t do a route that requires any ropes or climbing.

• 1 month later...

We did this a couple years ago and really enjoyed it- a couple of forty-somethings and some teenagers. We went with Thenford Grey. We pretty much circled the entire island on the ride before/ after the hike. Our guide told us all about the island and we made a stop at the Black Rocks for shopping and beer. The hike itself is strenuous but do-able if you're in decent shape. I didn't feel like we were rushed at all- we paused several times to hear about trees and plants. At the top we stopped and had cookies that his wife had made. We also fed some of the mongooses (mongeese?) that live there. The sketchy part you hear about is if you want to climb up the the rim to see the caldera and the Caribbean in the distance- That involves really dangerous looking homemade ladders. Worth the risk, though. As a previous poster said, it can be very muddy. I took an old pair of sneakers and then threw them up in the "shoe tree" at the trailhead when I got back down.

• 1 month later...
We didn’t have to do any climbing. Maybe you took a different route. I have read some reviews from people saying they had to climb a rope and use a ladder, so maybe there are different trails.

We went with Thenford Grey, they don’t do a route that requires any ropes or climbing.

I went with a guide through Thenford and there was tons of climbing. We climbed loads of rocks and had 2 rope places. I would not say I was in great shape and found it extremely difficult, My husband rides 25-50 miles a day and he thought it was difficult. The other couple with us were marathon runners and they also wanted to quit at the half way point. 4 of the 8 people with us could not do it. All that being said, my husbands wants to do it again next week. I bought hiking shoes as last time I slid on the wet rocks on the way down and was heading towards the ravine when the guide caught me by my ankle.

So no it is not leisurely hike and it does take the whole day. And if you decide you can't go on at the halfway point, you just sit in the van. there was no option to call a taxi and leave. The view is nice. I may still skip it and paddle board by myself while hubby hikes.